The Broads Is Not A National Park!

JennyMorgan

Glover changes this whole debate. If accepted and implemented National Parks no longer exist, they and the Broads and AONB become National Landscapes and Sandford applies to them all.

There's more, but if resisting Sandford is your thing then BA may very soon not be who you need to worry about!

31 minutes ago, Ray said:

Glover changes this whole debate.

Indeed it could, if it were not dead in the water. This present session of Parliament, and probably several more,  has two issues of far greater importance than Glover, namely Covid 19 & the economy. I honestly don't see Glover making it into Parliament let alone passing through both Houses.

If we take it that the Broads is NOT a National Park,. then one would have to assume that the term "Broads National Park" is an Americanism.

If we take it that it IS an Americanism. then one would have to wonder how the good Dr plans to conserve them (for marketing purposes of course).

And, if we take it that the good Dr DOES plan to conserve them (for marketing purposes of course) one wonders just what the good Dr's wife thinks about this!

Sorry..... Just a thought.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

If we take it that the Broads is NOT a National Park,. then one would have to assume that the term "Broads National Park" is an Americanism.

If we take it that it IS an Americanism. then one would have to wonder how the good Dr plans to conserve them (for marketing purposes of course).

And, if we take it that the good Dr DOES plan to conserve them (for marketing purposes of course) one wonders just what the good Dr's wife thinks about this!

Sorry..... Just a thought.

Perhaps we should keep the good Dr's private life out of this discussion!

I have never visited an American national park although I do have a book of Ansel Adam's awe inspiring photographs of Yosemite. Now that really is a national park, an incredible space and clearly deserving of the NP title. That might beg the question, Sandford aside, do I think that the Broads, all things considered, is up to the NP accolade?  Is that a leading question I ask myself? I'll leave it for you to ponder!

A picture by Ansel Adams, my hero, just behind Roy Clark!

adams372.jpg

Oh Peter, please don't say I have to explain my NP post to you.   Just in case. "Broads National Park" if an Americanism (note "Americanism" not "American") would mean a National Park for Broads. Broads being an American expression for the fairer sex.

Now does my post make sense?

• Haha 2

• 3 years later...
9 hours ago, Rogerbarnes said:

I'm baffled. Why don't people want the Broads to be a National Park. Don't they want it to be protected? 

Welcome, you will find the answer in the previous posts on this thread or search for National Park, there are reams of previous threads covering the subject.

9 hours ago, Rogerbarnes said:

I'm baffled. Why don't people want the Broads to be a National Park. Don't they want it to be protected? 

Answer is quite simple it has a protected status as a navigation under the Broads Act and as such cannot become a National Park, these are governed under a separate Act of Parliament with different legislation.

Fred

You say "don't they want them to be protected?  This is a fair question and I hope you have found some answers by reading back over this thread, as I have just done this morning.

Apart from the legal arguments, I have always had a priority reason why I don't want a national park and I quote from the first page of this thread :

On 20/02/2018 at 22:36, JohnK said:
When were the National Parks created?

The first National Parks were created in 1951, the latest addition to the National Park family was the South Downs in 2010.

1951: The Lake District, Dartmoor, The Peak District, Snowdonia.
1952: The North York Moors, Pembrokeshire Coast
1954: Exmoor, The Yorkshire Dales
1955: Northumberland
1957: The Brecon Beacons
1989: The Broads (designated under its Act of Parliament)
2005: The New Forest
2010: South Downs

The Sandford Principle talks of the conservation of natural beauty. Dartmoor, for instance, is pretty well exactly the same today as it has been for hundreds of millions of years since the last ice age, so it can really be considered as natural.  All the maintenance it needs is the local farmers grazing sheep on the uplands or coppicing the woodlands and natural forest for firewood and timber.

I suggest that the "national park" function has more to do with controlling the public and providing all the car parks and signage, than actually maintaining the "park" itself.  The Broads stands out on the list above, as the only one that is not natural.  It is a lowland basin that was artificially drained and re-claimed from the peat bogs hundreds of years ago.  Since then, it has had to be maintained by Man, as he has seen fit. 

So the real question, for me, about preservation and conservation (as per Sandford) is this :

At what point in its evolution over the centuries, do you want to "stop the clock" and preserve it?  It is not natural beauty, so you can take your choice.  Clearly the RSPB as a major landowner, would like it to go back to the 1600s, as a wetland marsh.  Others would yearn for the 1800s, in the heyday of the trading wherries.  I would rather see the navigations as they were in the 50s, than just what little is left now.  The farming landowners of course, would prefer thousands of acres of oilseed rape.

I don't see much evidence that the BA can answer this question or have even seriously addressed it, so I don't think that a national park structure would be any help at all.

• Like 7

Nit picking, but the last Ice Age started about 115000 years ago and finished  circa 11700 years ago.

Also Dartmoor was south of the glacial limit in each of the four Ice Ages.

The North Coast of The South West Peninsula ie Somerset and North Devon ( not sure of Cornwall ) ie What we know as the Bristol Channel has  certain effects caused by Sea Ice.

One of my A level subjects 56 years ago.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Nit picking, but the last Ice Age started about 115000 years ago and finished  circa 11700 years ago.

Oh, the joy of forum discussions!

I do hope you agree with the point I was trying to make, all the same?

• Like 2

The Genie appeared and said you can have one wish. 
Alladin, who was wise, knew that the Genie was wicked and wishes often had unintended consequences. So he tried to think of something that would mean he was rich forever.

He thought long and hard, and then said, Genie, I wish you give me £1 every time someone posts on the internet “But it’s not a National Park”

The Genie, laughed, realising he had been outwitted. 

Congratulations Alladin, said the Genie, you will be rich for ever. 

• Haha 3