Signing Off And Leaving

I decided to go to bed last night, but logging on again this morning I now find myself dismissed as a book learner, when I took the simple precaution of checking references in an official manual before using them. Any engineer worth his salt will always do that.

I fully understand that we are rather short of Mods at the moment and they can't be on duty 24/7 but there were words being used last night, without any provocation, which were abusive to the forum as a whole and later to individuals personally. I find this un-necessary and un-acceptable, in any context and if you don't agree, just read back over last night in the cold light of day.

I very much hope that this forum is not going to lose its value and standing, by becoming just another place where those of us with relevant information to impart, in the genuine wish to share it with the members, will have to think twice before sticking our heads up over the parapet.

It is appropriate for me to say this here as it is, after all, Ricardo's thread!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I've stopped coming onto the forum at night-time since I stepped down as a Mod (when I felt that I had an obligation to do so) and so I'm quite flabbergasted by the last few pages which I've just read.

I think that it's not so much to do with a glass or two but possibly the after effects of the day's adrenaline and aggravation coming into play. That coupled with perhaps being somewhat tired can lead one to typing words that one wouldn't probably use in direct conversation.

A Moderator is faced with a very difficult decision; to do nothing and be criticised or to hide a post and then immediately be pilloried for being over-zealous and denying free speech.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

13 hours ago, Selsie said:

Hope your hospital stay was for the positive.

As for the rest of your comments, as a relatively new member I totally agree. :default_biggrin:

Thankyou Selsie ..... I was run over by a car on Saturday so have been in hospital for broken ankle and shoulder .... so I got off quite lightely.

The experience of living a disabled life whilst the ijuries heal is very humbling and it highlights the futility of all this playground sqabbling that Ricardos thread has descended into.

Just get on enjoying life, ignore those who make you sad ........ you don't know how long youve got left.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, MorningSwan said:

Wyndham, 

I don’t know you, as far as I am concerned I doubt you know me, and you suggesting I go to bed is a little presumptions if not insulting,

If you feel that anything I have posted is presumptuous or insulting then I apologise, that was never my intention and never will be my intention on this forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

newer members have no idea what you're talking about.

As possibly the newest member of this forum, i thought I should post something.

I agree I've no idea or need to know what the actual argument is about, personally I feel from a newbie or visitor point reading these posts these have a damaging / off putting effect. ( my view only please don't shoot).

I'm not totally new to boating, on my 3rd boat but still class myself as a novice though, I joined this forum because I'm bringing my boat to the southern broads, I've hired in the north a few times over the years and I hoped to learn and gain tips and advice from boaters with more knowledge / experience both broads and boats in general. Also to offer advise when I feel it may be useful.

Please don't  discourage people from asking questions or offering advice for fear of being ridiculed or shot down. We may not agree with someone else's advice or opinion, but it's just that, it's  theirs, offer your own and remember this is just your view / opinion.

I really hope I've not offended anyone, I edited it about 20 times before posting. if I have I'm sorry and will be in the Yare pub end of April when our boat arrives, if you want  to join me in a pint or non acholic beverage got to keep PC correct.

simon

• Like 5
  • Thanks 13

8 hours ago, MorningSwan said:

There is NO polite answer to that child, just behave yourself says the old git  ?.

Mmm! The way things are going and the current establishment modsmood that prevails I may not be posting here much longer, I may well be sanctioned when the mods wake up in the morning. 

wish you all well anyway. See you on the rivers?

That would be the same mods that will have woken, perhaps had a quick look at the forum before heading out to work with a heavier step than when they first awoke. The mods all have lives away from this forum, we should remember that and try and make their job as easy as possible. To be fair, if you suspect you may be sanctioned by the mods, then you should perhaps reconsider what your posting!!

We do seem to be down on the number of moderators from a week or so ago. Time to help, rather than hinder.

This thread was started by Ricardo and I've really no idea how it wandered so far off course, however if people take the time to look at a few of the recent reactions to posts you will see that Ricardo has reacted and therefore is still very much an active member.

Time perhaps to let this thread go now and consign it to history and ALL move on.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Simon said:

if I have I'm sorry and will be in the Yare pub end of April when our boat arrives, if you want  to join me in a pint or non acholic beverage got to keep PC correct

You could always come to the Spring gathering, and meet up and have great time. Please also let me :default_welcome:you to the forum Simon

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

The mods all have lives away from this forum, we should remember that and try and make their job as easy as possible. To be fair, if you suspect you may be sanctioned by the mods, then you should perhaps reconsider what your posting!!

3 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Time perhaps to let this thread go now and consign it to history and ALL move on.

Thank you

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, smellyloo said:

Thankyou Selsie ..... I was run over by a car on Saturday so have been in hospital for broken ankle and shoulder .... so I got off quite lightely.

The experience of living a disabled life whilst the ijuries heal is very humbling and it highlights the futility of all this playground sqabbling that Ricardos thread has descended into.

Just get on enjoying life, ignore those who make you sad ........ you don't know how long youve got left.

So sorry to hear this Smelly, my very best wishes to you for a speedy recovery :default_icon_kiss:

A warm welcome aboard from me Simon :default_icon_wave:

Grace

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How great to see Simon’s post but it is sad that he has had to edit it 20 times before posting. I think that says a great deal about how the forum is being seen by many at this time and we have to remedy that asap IMO. If we don’t, then we are going to lose the opportunity to welcome more members. I do think this thread would have been better posted under the members only forum, posters sniping at each other on open forum is not good. However, that’s by the by and the damage is done. I hope all involved can now put all this behind them and agree to disagree or at least give themselves time to cool off. 

Simon - thank you for posting as you did, welcome to the forum. :default_welcome:

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I do think this thread would have been better posted under the members only forum

But it started off as a relatively civilised thread about why someone wasn't happy with things, it was only in the last couple of pages it went daft and not really anything to do with the original thread, I was happy to put some input into it and would not have been able to if was hidden away in a secret area only accessible by the powers that be.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

But it started off as a relatively civilised thread about why someone wasn't happy with things, it was only in the last couple of pages it went daft and not really anything to do with the original thread, I was happy to put some input into it and would not have been able to if was hidden away in a secret area only accessible by the powers that be.

It’s not the powers that be Smoggy, just the area for full members which I still think would have been more appropriate. The fact that the original thread deteriorated somewhat makes me think that even more. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vanessan said:

It’s not the powers that be Smoggy, just the area for full members which I still think would have been more appropriate. The fact that the original thread deteriorated somewhat makes me think that even more. 

Right I'm breaking silence here , it is not the thread's fault it is the fault of one member , there is s reason that I posted it St my prerogative in the lounge and that is that my thoughts were not just outlined at just members , why criticise the thread what happened last night was nothing to do with the thread in anyway and as OP I take exception to the fact that it was incorrectly placed originally as I did think about it it was not just a wild stab in the dark .

I see this morning that many have felt last nights episode was pretty disgusting and broke TOS , there is a method for dealing with that in the report button and I hope all those who feel that way used it , I DID .

East coast IPA is quite right I was active but silent with good reason .

Simon that was an excellent post  , as indeed have been quite a few more and I fully agree with Vaughan in that it would be totally wrong for member's to be fearful of the reactions of a few and not post because of that .

What was a total shame was when JM suggested that cease be called ( twice) it went unheard  , personally after my own learning curve I would have listened to that .

In hindsight having seen that some can't and won't behave in a civilised manner , (which is priceless considering they have accused me of that in the past and I'm the one with the restriction ) then as OP if the mods wish to move the thread to the member's area then fine but I would feel very unhappy if it were locked as I might wish to refer to it later .

In short punish those responsible not the thread .

12 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

I see this morning that many have felt last nights episode was pretty disgusting and broke TOS , there is a method for dealing with that in the report button and I hope all those who feel that way used it , I DID .

Quite correct Ricardo thank you

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Ricardo, my post was definitely not a dig at you. I was wondering where such a post (the original one) would be best and I haven’t come up with an answer to that yet. Members only would probably be more appropriate but it is not exactly ‘chat’ so maybe not there. I had in fact started a suggestion topic to see if anyone had any bright ideas but have not continued it for one reason or another. The fact that the thread deteriorated was in no way your fault, you could not have foreseen what was going to happen. You had many members (including myself) asking you to reconsider, all that in open forum was good as it showed the outside world how we really are. Then it all went horribly wrong and I am sad that happened for all to see. Such exchanges should be for members only imo. I hope that explains my thinking and please accept my apology if you think I was having a go at you.

This has happened in part I think because we currently have a lack of mods. I hope this can be rectified in the short term. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

It says full member under my username and in my profile but I see no full member only section, unless this is it of course.

2 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Then it all went horribly wrong and I am sad that happened for all to see. Such exchanges should be for members only imo. 

To be honest such exchanges shouldn't be taking place at all, in members or not. I never really understood the concept of hiding the dirty washing in members. I would imagine the number of members in full members greatly exceeds the number of members with less than 50 posts waiting the invite to full members? So by moving such topics to full members you are only hiding it from a few. The majority still have to put up with it. Far better that the full members show respect to each other and the forum as a whole.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

It says full member under my username and in my profile but I see no full member only section, unless this is it of course.

Smoggy, It says full members under your name because the forum software automatically does that after a number of posts, but further down under your avatar it says members. I would think before long, probably a few days it will say full members there as well and all will become clear.

Further info can be found here,

we currently have a small team of mods - yes, but inactive we are not, some of us might get to bed early, but that means we are up early too, I was checking this thread at 5am this morning, before I headed for work.

We too would prefer these exchanges didnt happen at all.

Smoggy, there are two places where a status appears - full member appears above your name when you get to 50 posts automatically. at this point it is usual to ask the rest of the full members whether to raise you to full membership, time is given for people to agree you are a nice person, at which point you are admitted to the hallowed circle and the jokes thread is inflicted upon you, at this point the member tag beneath your name changes to Full members, and you have access to the members section (a sort of inner sanctum).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've yet to be convinced that pointing fingers at just one individual is going to help though! Mind you, I rather suspect that we all have our suspicions and just maybe they are all the same. That a dispute of some age has festered as it has does amaze me. Some of last night's comments did rankle, at the time, but that was yesterday, let alone eighteen months ago! Forums do require fairly thick skins at time, they also require the ability to forgive and forget. I see nothing wrong in trying to provoke discussion, but we have had a few recent postings seemingly intended to create discord rather than a positive debate, I don't welcome that trend.

• Like 8