Signing Off And Leaving

I have spent vitualyy all day thinking about this and my conclusion is that sadly I have decided to leave , with regards to that if a moderator could please erase my membership I would be most grateful , obviously I know that means renaming " ex Ricardo " but I'm OK with that .

Why has this come about , its simple really , I moved onto a boat over 12 yes ago to remove myself from stress , not that I can't handle it but more I believe I deserve better than a stressful life , initially membership was pretty good but lately quite the reverse and its that that has caused me to rethink things , a few months ago it was suggested to me to begin a thread on living afloat and I did really consider it for a time , however I decided against it having seen how some reacted to virtually everything I posted on any thread , that apart I did receive a number of days won including 3 times in 16 days in January , however I also picked up a moderated restriction a few weeks later so in something like 32 days I ended up with all 4 things , iv no idea even to this day as to exactly why I picked up that restriction although I have asked some time back via email and although there has been a change in the moderation team I would have expected a reason being given to me before now .

That however is only part of the reason for my decision , the other part is basically the group attacks on members and not just me either several have suffered it and the same names crop up every time , it might be or seam to be fun to some to act in that manner but I'm dam sure they wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it .

From now on I'll be keeping a very low profile with regards to social media etc , iv a number of friends via here I can and do contact in other ways and I'm happy with that .

No doubt there will be some rejoicing at this and possibly a few who aren't that happy but its my decision and its been made , just for those that feel they need to contact me my PM system is currently disabled as part of the penalty .

Goodbye  ,

Richard 

If you are reading this Richard, I still look forward to hopefully meeting up with you on the river when we are on holiday in May.

I am sorry this has not worked out, as I felt you had a lot of valuable experience to offer the forum.

Wishing you all the best.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

And this forum is the least vindictive of the Broads Forums! Sorry to see you go, Richard. Your individuality has been a breath of fresh air, thanks for your input and your support over the dreaded NP imposition. Cheerio, the friend that I never met.

• Like 5

I was looking forward to the living aboard thread, it was mentioned ages ago.

I was also modded for giving my opinion on something , it was light heated and not aimed at anyone , just my take on something. I thought it harsh , but really got over  it quickly , it's not worth fretting over. Same as if someone is rude to me online, I really struggle to get offended . Some online warriors are really quite entertaining, it's almost a step away from real life , and the written word can and does lose its tone somewhat.

I hope you stick around , healthy debate is good , a lot to be learnt from differing opinions and characters. It would be a boring place and world if we all wanted and agreed on the same things.

Good luck 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So sorry you feel this way, but I fully understand the reasons for your departure. I would give the similar reasons for not posting anything on here about BG's restoration. After all, those who need to know what is going on can find out either by talking with me personally because they are friends (of course, I count you as one of them), or by means of other social media. 

Sadly, the responses on some threads are less than amicable with sarcasm thinly camouflaged by an attempt at humour. Again, I experienced this on the thread related to the May meeting. I will miss your wisdom and sometimes countering of the prevailing, and all too often accepted,wisdom of armchair admirals and bedroom boat builders. As with myself, most people here know nothing of your experience, their comments are based upon assumptions and at times, a degree of prejudice. 

Of course, I will be in contact with you by other means so this is not goodbye from me. 

• Like 1

Mod hat off here...

Ricardo your contributions will be missed here (not your controversial ones mind), I myself do like your take on many things about the Magical Broads. I have my views on things as well.

Stay safe and I hope to bump into you one day this year to meet you in person.

Regards

Charlie

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

(not your controversial ones mind)

There probably lies half the problem, there's no point to a forum where you can't say anything that doesn't fit the generally accepted view.

It was once controversial to say the world isn't flat.....

Sorry to see you go Ricardo.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, socrates said:

Again, I experienced this on the thread related to the May meeting. I will miss your wisdom and sometimes countering of the prevailing, and all too often accepted,wisdom of armchair admirals and bedroom boat builders.

Socrates, if you wish to describe me as a bedroom boatbuilder I would think that is a pretty fair description, overall, but I am afraid I must disagree with the way you describe this forum.

I have just re-read the thread about the Spring meet and rather than veiled sarcasm, I can only find genuine attempts by several members to make you feel welcome, in a relaxed atmosphere, despite your previous bad experience, which had nothing to do with this forum and was not a forum event.

We are glad to have you among us and I would suggest we have made every effort to welcome you.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Any forum benefits from contrasting views , the NBN will be a poorer place with the loss of such a regular poster as Ricardo , whilst his take on things have not always been in line with others on here that is what makes him and many others an important part of this forum.

i for one will miss his forthright style and wish him only well in the future , and hope one day he may return 

Edited by ranworthbreeze
NBF cited instead of NBN
  • Like 3

I totally agree with the sentiments posted above, Richard.

Your proposed liveaboard thread would have been very interesting, to say the least, to lots of us. Perhaps you may reconsider, please?

CC, I thought that Richard left the NBF a long time ago? This place will certainly be poorer!    :default_icon_e_biggrin:

• Like 1

Ricardo, why do you have leave the forum? If you feel things are not going your way, maybe take a back seat for a while and chill. I’m sure there will come a time when someone will say they wish Ricardo was still a member because he could probably help sort out a problem. Things tend to blow over anyway and all returns to the status quo. All forums need different characters to stimulate good debate and you have a lot to offer. 

Socrates, the BG thread was read and appreciated by many. Don’t stop it please, there are so many who want to see the completion of the refurbishment. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Rich, why not just mothball your membership for a while. I don't do Facebook so will have to catch you on the water. Never had a problem with any of your posts on here, if you don't like some of the trolls then there is always the :default_smiley-taunt014:

Be sorry to see you go, us liveaboards need you here to help fight our corner.:default_swordpir:

Seriously mate, your decision. Stay warm and safe.

Colin:default_beerchug:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

Sorry to hear this

I think the trouble with written words is that they can be misunderstood, taken the wrong way etc, so different from speaking to people face to face. I like to think I would never say something on here that I wouldn't be prepared to say to a persons face

There's nothing wrong with a good debate, members thrashing about their knowledge or personal opinions, it's all good fun but when people start to make snide or nasty comments because they don't agree with an opinion, that's when it's not healthy and an otherwise good debate turns sour. In my opinion for what it's worth this forum is, in the main, friendly, helpful and well moderated

If anyone doesn't agree with what I've said above, then see me outside :default_norty:

Seriously though, come on, this is a great place to be, you'd be hard pressed to find better and don't forget Spring is just around the corner, time for messing about in boats and having some fun

Now has anyone seen a certain Firefighter, I believe he owns a boat and needs a crew :default_norty:

Grace

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

Richard please take time out before you leave.I have always said that there is room for many different views.That what makes a good forum .It would be a sad place if we all agree.I for one will never agree with everything said here,but understand others who have other views.

Best wishes Ian

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Gracie said:

Sorry to hear this

I think the trouble with written words is that they can be misunderstood, taken the wrong way etc, so different from speaking to people face to face. I like to think I would never say something on here that I wouldn't be prepared to say to a persons face

There's nothing wrong with a good debate, members thrashing about their knowledge or personal opinions, it's all good fun but when people start to make snide or nasty comments because they don't agree with an opinion, that's when it's not healthy and an otherwise good debate turns sour. In my opinion for what it's worth this forum is, in the main, friendly, helpful and well moderated

If anyone doesn't agree with what I've said above, then see me outside :default_norty:

Seriously though, come on, this is a great place to be, you'd be hard pressed to find better and don't forget Spring is just around the corner, time for messing about in boats and having some fun

Now has anyone seen a certain Firefighter, I believe he owns a boat and needs a crew :default_norty:

Grace

Gracie, is this what you had in mind? 

Gracie.jpg

• Haha 6

There would be a lot less conflict if people disabused themselves of the idea that posting on an internet forum is like having a discussion with friends when it is far more akin to getting on a soapbox at Speaker's Corner.

• Like 1

My radar is maybe on low alert, but I really don't see any abuse getting thrown about on here. 

What am I missing?  Where should I look?

Someone disagreeing with your point of view , is not a fight, it's a discussion surely.

• Like 6

I am not sure I agree with Kadenza's take on what a forum is, well this one anyway.

i think it is at its best as an exchange of views amongst friends and at its worst when the soap boxes come out. Maybe the difference between opinion and opinionated? To me the second is where discussion isn't welcome and offence is taken over challenges.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, kadensa said:

There would be a lot less conflict if people disabused themselves of the idea that posting on an internet forum is like having a discussion with friends when it is far more akin to getting on a soapbox at Speaker's Corner.

I first joined here to learn more about Broads and boats and the like, basically what a Broads forum is I guess but it soon became apparent to me this one is so much more than that. Got to know some pretty nice and special people who have become my friends.

This forum gives us so much more than boats and the Broads, it also gives us an opportunity to have a laugh, discuss more intimate issues such as illness etc, the support that we offer each other is quite unique and special in my book, I hope it continues for a very long time. Well done this fine ship the NBN and all my friends who sail in her :default_icon_luvlove:

Grace  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Polly said:

I am not sure I agree with Kadenza's take on what a forum is, well this one anyway.

i think it is at its best as an exchange of views amongst friends and at its worst when the soap boxes come out. Maybe the difference between opinion and opinionated? To me the second is where discussion isn't welcome and offence is taken over challenges.

It may be what other forums are, and I have experienced some that are just like that, but its not what we strive to be here.

if you come here expecting to be able to sling abuse at others, then the moderators will step in. we will defend anyone's right to hold an opinion, we would just love it if everyone respected everyone else's rights to their opinions - as then we would have nothing to do.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, grendel said:

if you come here expecting to be able to sling abuse at others, then the moderators will step in. we will defend anyone's right to hold an opinion, we would just love it if everyone respected everyone else's rights to their opinions - as then we would have nothing to do.

A forum is a forum is a forum it has many facets and comprises people with similar interests but who come from different backgrounds and often with differing viewpoints, as well as providing help and assistance to its members discussion and debate are the lifeblood of any forum,  as Grendel and many others have said its about doing it with respect, anyone expressing their point of view has to accept that it is there to be challenged and that theirs isn`t the only viewpoint however passionately they believe in it, the art is in accepting this and countering it with articulate and informed posts not throwing teddies about.

Fred

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4