Smells

What smells do you like,remind you of something,makes you smile etc.For me coming into Norwich going past Coleman's and the smell of mint.Long gone now on the way to London bridge station going past the Jacobs factory and the smell of biscuits. Even now after many years in the trade the smell of Danish pastries and coffee in the morning.

Coffee...there was a shop in Watford that did it's own roasting when I was young. It was wonderful at the bottom of the High Street.

In the mid late 50s it was Camp or Maxwell House. No wonder the British are tea drinkers.

• Like 1

Boiling gammon ham using mum's recipe of herbs and spices. Always reminds me of Sunday lunches as a kid. Its so lovely to replicate that in my home now :)

Weird one - clipped box hedging which reminds me of my grandma. She died when I was five but its a very vivid memory/smell as I walked up the path to stay with her. 

As a boy I used to rig all the hire sailing dinghies in a little shed at Hearts in winter. I loved the smell of the hemp and sisal rope, also the beeswaxed whipping twine.

And the smell of the two coats of linseed oil, which were put on the bare wood, before varnishing.

• Like 2

I love the smell of the Broads, I can't explain it but there's a smell to the rivers I love so much. Like Ian the smell of cut grass too. Strolling along the river bank, walking past a boat where the one of the crew is frying bacon and almost jumping aboard and taking over their ship :default_biggrin:

Mustn't forget that smell that comes with new shoes. definitely the best one of all :default_norty:

Grace

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The smell that always got me going in the old days on a boat was that of striking a match and lighting the gas first thing in the morning to make the tea. Sounds weird I expect but it was just something about it. Nowadays our boat gas stove (probably like most others?) has electronic ignition and it just isn’t the same. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, webntweb said:

The smell from wet exhausts when arriving at the boatyard to start our Broads holidays.

I love that smell too. I know this will grate on some people but the sound of the engines as you drive into the boatyard gives me butterfly's in my tummy

I'm feeling a tad down in the dumps today and it's topics like this that make me smile, thank you Ian for starting it :default_icon_kiss:

Grace

• Like 3

I think the smell of bacon being cooked on a boat has to be the absolute winner. 

Over in Stanstead Abbotts there is the last remaining Maltings in the area and when the wind is in the right direction and they are roasting, what smells like roasted coffee beans wafts over Ware!

The 'smell' I really struggle with is that of a certain High Street shop that sells soap products - the items might look very pretty and for some smell lovely but I start sneezing and have to escape very quickly!

• Like 2

An odd one. :default_biggrin: Going down the escalator on most IKEA stores to the Market Hall, you are treated to the waft of their scented candles. I love that, but don't buy because, like Liz, I'd be sneezing before long.

See, even IKEA has its compensations! :default_coat:

• Like 1

As a child I loved the smell coming from the Trebor factory in town. A sickly sweet kind of smell which depending on wind direction could fill the market place on market day, which people either loved or hated.

The "smell" of cold crisp air early in the morning on a cold winter's day and hot tarmac on a hot summer's day (another one from childhood).

Whilst I know this is about smells, I would say I love the sound of the boats heating outlet gently blowing on a cold quiet evening as you sit outside with a cold one.

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Grace you forgot chocolate that also smells good

And the wine Ian, don't forget the wine. I went to a wine tasting thing at a local vineyard with a bunch of girls once, you know when you're supposed to smell it, sip it, swirl it in your mouth and spit it out, never got to the spitting out bit :default_biggrin:

Have any of you actually been barred from a Vineyard? :default_norty:

Grace

• Like 1
  • Haha 1