Solo Cruising, Need The Bathroom But Nowhere To Moor

Broads01

I'm sure you can picture the scene and a situation I've found myself in once or twice. Say, for example, you're solo, somewhere in the wilds of the lower Bure and you are 'caught short'. What is the best option? 

Option 1: I'm the absence of boat traffic (hopefully), bring the boat to a standstill mid-river and be away from the helm for as short time as possible. 

Option 2: As above but don't rush, the boat won't go far and any traffic appearing can go round it anyway. 

Option 3: On no account leave the helm. Pee on the floor if you have to. 

Option 4: None of the above. 

• Haha 1

in my car I have a pee bottle, that lives out of sight under the seat, this is for emergency use if I get stuck for hours in a tailback (though i have not yet had to resort to it)

something similar to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/1000ml-Outdoor-Plastic-Emergency-Portable/dp/B071912Q2M/ref=sr_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1522997223&sr=8-6&keywords=emergency+urine+bottle

you can get ladies versions too.

just make sure you get one with a lid, 

or just use a bucket (preferably not the same one you go blackberrying with.)

• Like 1

Hahaha this rings a few bells !

Provided it's not too windy and there's little current I'll nudge into the reeds and then dash down the steps in Juliette 2's front loo and be done with asap !

I have done the same in neutral in the middle of Heigham Sound when it was very still and I had full visibility for maybe 1/4 of a mile forwards and aft but there is obviously a danger of drifting beyond the posts.

I have the same issue when the kettle boils in the front galley. Speed is the essence.

Unfortunately I am not exactly Sebastian Coe.........

Best wishes

Charles

• Like 2

Bucket by the helm gets my vote too. Some years ago there was a Californian wine sold in what looked a bit like a caraf. That was useful, but sometimes it was worrying how close to full I could make it.

Another suggestion harks back to a response I gave ion another thread a while back. Keep a decanter by the helm too and tell people you use that. Don't actually use it, but it'll stop people drinking your port.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Do what I do when flying a sailplane for 7+ hours (solo).

A small roll of 1 litre freezer bags at the side of the cockpit.
Whilst steering a boat is easy - I'm lying almost flat & have to fly the plane at the same time!

Those who use 3 litre freezer bags are just bragging...

• Like 2

2 litre plastic milk bottle like truckers use - just don't lob it out the window when you're done. Also a Thermos of the beverage of your choice to top up - works for me.

Edited by stumpy
Spillchuck
  • Thanks 1

Any wide neck vessel 2 -5L is perfect trust me I've had to do  it plenty of times n its posable to be discrete n believe it or nor even continue to veave at passing boats :15_yum: , you can also drop the mud weight as long as your off the main channel but beware of leaving the boat to it's own devices it will not be anywhere where you left it even on a calm day n absolute no no anywhere where the tides fast .

My first trip on the  tidal river Ouse  from Selby to nayburn lock just outside York involved  said container a few beers and 20 smokes + the usual safety gear and a load of fun was had .

So next time anyone see's me on the river and I look a little busy you now know what I "might" be doing :default_smiley-char054:.

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Another suggestion harks back to a response I gave ion another thread a while back. Keep a decanter by the helm too and tell people you use that. Don't actually use it, but it'll stop people drinking your port.

Dear worried from Norfolk.

Your crew should not confuse the contents with port. 

If they are my advice is to see a doctor.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In my dim and distant offshore cruising days I was rafted up at Yarmouth, IOW, alongside a very neat little cruiser. I don't remember how we got onto the subject but the owner showed me his solution for when he went inland cruising. Both side benches had innocent looking hinges which allowed short sections of side benches on both sides, where a helmsman would normally sit, to be raised which then revealed comfortable, mahogany bog seats over buckets! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PastorsDayOff said:

As a young(ish) person, I don’t really understand the problem. 

Me either. Although I'd probably just stick my wang out of the window and let nature flow free. :default_smiley-angelic002:

Remember to open the blooming window first though...

4 hours ago, Wussername said:

Dear worried from Norfolk.

Your crew should not confuse the contents with port. 

If they are my advice is to see a doctor.

Andrew

5 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Bucket by the helm gets my vote too. Some years ago there was a Californian wine sold in what looked a bit like a caraf. That was useful, but sometimes it was worrying how close to full I could make it.

Ever wondered why most people want to sit to your right?