New Television Series

ChrisB

I saw something like this last year, it was mostly set in Canada showing various floating home and the problems that could be encountered bad design to some which were the perfect homes on various lakes. There was a lot about the building, moving and positioning of these floating homes.

As you have said it was interesting.

Regards

Alan

3 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I saw something like this last year, it was mostly set in Canada showing various floating home and the problems that could be encountered bad design to some which were the perfect homes on various lakes. There was a lot about the building, moving and positioning of these floating homes.

As you have said it was interesting.

Regards

Alan

Alan, I hope the Canadian one's were better than this one on the Canal du Midi near Argens.

Near Argens C du Midi.JPG

• Like 1

Series 1 Episode 1 was on the Chichester Canal which is a stone’s throw from where I live. I was doing some consulting work for a company in the black building with the red roof that you can see so had a grandstand view of the proceedings. The canal houses an eclectic mix of floating homes many are essentially large caravans on floats but there is also an ex Cromer lifeboat  and some normal boats. Until a few years ago a Dunkirk little ship VERE was there but was sadly lost in the huge boatyard fire on the Isle of Wight where it went for some TLC. There was also an admirals pinnacle FUSIL but that fell into serious disrepair and I believe went to Portsmouth pending restoration. Photos attached (hopefully)

Chi Canal VERE & FUSIL.doc

Chichester Yacht Basin, Birdham, Itchenor, all very much my old stamping ground. One could many years ago travel to London from there. That canal not only went to Chichester but on to join the River Arun at Ford. Then the Wey & Arun canal to The Thames.

Hi CrisB.

As I remember it JM spent some time in the area as well. I don't know how long ago you were last but in the last few years all of the old buildings and workshops have been demolished and replaced with the modern offices and workshops. There is also a development of very expensive holiday flats. The yacht club building by the lock is still there in fact my son had his wedding reception there.

We were last there in Sept 2015. In fact it was a memory trip to where my late wife and I hung out when we first met in the 60's. Our last dinner was at the yacht basin and our last pub visit was to the Anchor Bleu one of the first pubs that I took her to in 1967.  Sadly shortly after our visit Judith's cancer was to return which was terminal.

A very interesting programme and design concept. Thanks to the cold, dead hand of the Broads Authority, and their stranglehold on planning, I would be surprised if we see anything as innovative as that gracing the Broads.

• Like 3