Pye’s Mill

vanessan

I'm not sure that taking your rubbish home with you after a week's boating would meet with the approval of your local council's waste gurus, Not sure where they would stand as regards you importing what has been defined by another council (albeit illegally)  as "trade waste" and disposing of it in your local waste stream.  

Time was when the councils just got on with their job of providing front line services. Now it seems they are more concerned with everything from promoting diversity to property speculation rather than do what they are paid to do.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, SteveO said:

Time was when the councils just got on with their job of providing front line services. Now it seems they are more concerned with everything from promoting diversity to property speculation rather than do what they are paid to do.

This paragraph is the crux of it to a T. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Paladin said:

No-one seems to be pointing the finger at the real 'culprit' - Norfolk County Council.

Nor Suffolk County Council (Oulton Broad and Beccles). Got to say that I have never tried to dispose of rubbish at either so things might be perfect, but I doubt it!

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Nor Suffolk County Council (Oulton Broad and Beccles). Got to say that I have never tried to dispose of rubbish at either so things might be perfect, but I doubt it!

Beccles YS has disposal facilities and I believe Oulton does too but not 100% sure. The refuse bins are still at Somerleyton and there is even a litter bin at Worlingham staithe. Suffolk CC seem to like their tourists. :default_smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To bring a lighter note to the topic of waste and litter. We were travelling up to Norwich last week, and amongst all the various rowers, kayakers, canoeists and other human powered craft on that stretch, we noticed one young lady in a canoe who seemed to be pulling in frequently to the side. We thought her a bit young for such severe bladder problems at first, but we then realised that she was collecting all the litter from the riverside. Whether that was from her own free will or sanctioned by the rowing club,  I know not. What I do know is that stretch of river is pristine, compared to our previous trips there. If anyone knows this young lady, please pass on our appreciation and highest regards to her, she's a credit to our youth, which takes a bit of a bashing from time to time.

On another note, I have to report a VERY rare occurrence - I was actually thanked by one of the coaching boats for keeping to the bank at slow speed. Normally, they totally ignore me. Go on, I know you want to. Tell me EVERYONE ignores me!

Well did somebody speak???:default_icon_cool:

On a serious note:

Northampton has apparently flooded again. There were comprehensive flood alleviation schemes put in place after the last one, which was declared a National Disaster. Residents  were assured that the protection would be effective.

People on the receiving end then were often  under-insured due to being amongst the poorest parts of town. Now the premiums are much higher. Go figure.

So what has gone wrong? The finger is pointing at the Northants County Council failing to maintain the drains! 

• Like 1

On 28/05/2018 at 20:00, dnks34 said:

It wouldnt make any difference as they will just keep putting the Toll up anyway.

Its not rocket science, the rubbish needs to be taken care of.

If between the BA and the local councils they cant pull their fingers out and get the job done then they are not going to attract praise from me.   

I would go further than that, if they can`t pull their fingers out, and get the job don,  THEY`RE NOT FIT TO HOLD THEIR POSITIONS OF AUTHORITY.  This day and age, ALL authorities are only interested in what`s beneficial for that authority, the public always comes last in their list of priorities.

• Like 1

If you're not a Norfolk Council Tax payer then you can't put your rubbish in a Norfolk Broads bin, how ridiculous is that.

I do pay Norfolk Council Tax so do I still have to take my rubbish home?

Maybe we will all need to arrange a rubbish exchange scheme when we go on vacation with someone who lives where we are going. I'll start an App "Use my vacation rubbish allowance dot com".

In my mind it is "swings and roundabouts" when us residents of Norfolk leave on vacation then our burden of rubbish disposal is transferred somewhere else, likewise when a visitor comes to Norfolk their burden is transferred here. I really think it is that simple. 

3 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

Well in Tendring there bins still everwhere on near us and still people fly tip and litter. So we are paying for bins and the clear ups !!!

Maybe they can't fit old wardrobes and baths into the bins?

On 29/05/2018 at 11:47, vanessan said:

Beccles YS has disposal facilities and I believe Oulton does too but not 100% sure. The refuse bins are still at Somerleyton and there is even a litter bin at Worlingham staithe. Suffolk CC seem to like their tourists. :default_smile:

The bin at Worlingham is no more. This morning two guys came and removed all fixtures and fittings. Apparently it was put there by Whitlingham Council but the Environment Agency demanded its removal. Sad or what?!

58 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

If what you say is accurate, on the face of it that's outrageous, but there may be more to it than that. Any chance of finding out? I wouldn't know where to start!

That’s what we were told by the guys removing the bin this morning. When I am home again I will put the question to the EA. It’s a bit difficult to tackle such matters by mobile but I may give it a try. It’s ironic isn’t it, the Environment Agency has a responsibility for errm, the environment, and they demand removal of rubbish receptacles. Beggars belief! (I wouldn’t mind betting they will come up with some reasoning probably beyond our understanding!)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

(I wouldn’t mind betting they will come up with some reasoning probably beyond our understanding!)

In the winter all along the sea front lower promenade, sports fields etc, the council had a guy raising all the dog poo bins by 1 1/2 inches on the poles yes 1 1/2 inches. On the ones where the pole wasnt tall enough another lot came along dug a hole concreted new pole in, then a few days later the first geezer came back took the bin off old pole and fitted to new one. all so unnecessary and they are cutting costs??????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, vanessan said:

The bin at Worlingham is no more. This morning two guys came and removed all fixtures and fittings. Apparently it was put there by Whitlingham Council but the Environment Agency demanded its removal. Sad or what?!

Last time I saw it ,  it was overflowing.      Wouldnt want to moor near it.

It's been drawn to my attention that a post of mine earlier in this thread with a bit regarding Polytechnics, can and has been taken as offensive and elitist. For this I do apologise, it was not my intent for it to be seen as such. Having worked with and lectured at several Poly's in my time I do appreciate the distinction between them and the 'New Universities'. Again, I do apologise.

The point I was trying to make was that a day's workshop on tackling the refuse problem affecting the Broads is not an adequate solution, or indeed any solution, to the problem. All parties concerned sitting in the same room is a start, but that's all it is. Illustrating the problem on sheets of paper in little groups should have taken around ten minutes of time maximum before the parties concerned then hammered out a solution. The 'not my problem the new rules say' is a tired excuse. The solution is simple. Someone needs to pick up the crap and someone needs to pay to pick up the crap. How much does it cost to pick up the crap? How many authorities are represented in the room? I bet they calculated the bar meal tab in a less than half an hour!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Timbo said:

It's been drawn to my attention that a post of mine earlier in this thread with a bit regarding Polytechnics, can and has been taken as offensive and elitist.

Mr Timbo, what's a polytechnic? And erm....what's elitist?? And offensive is????

5 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

Mr Timbo, what's a polytechnic? And erm....what's elitist?? And offensive is????

That would be :-

1 a parrot that plays with Lego

2 somebody that messes around with Elits

3 somebody who sits on the fence, but continually falls off one side or the other.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, grendel said:

That would be :-

1 a parrot that plays with Lego

2 somebody that messes around with Elits

3 somebody who sits on the fence, but continually falls off one side or the other.

Ahh thanks G. Everydays a learning day and all that. 

Now what's an elit