Car Talk

LondonRascal

Little thing, but a big thing if you own an old Volvo - get the headlamp wipers and washer system working as it should. Excitedly awaited my new wiper arms and some new washer hose to arrive from China they duly did and I set about to get this small thing seen to. Small thing perhaps, but the old arms had been on there for 19 years so much penetrating oil and careful levering got the old ones off. I was pleased the perished hose from the wiper arm lead to a plastic union and from here it was undamaged, so this was a breeze to get sorted and plumbed in. Now in situ, time for the big test - and now they are doing there thing and this long forgotten but handy way of keeping headlight clear in the winter is working again:

• Like 7

So, today after a weeks holiday we are due to depart Hagnau Bordensee for home at Gross Zimmerm. A drive of 240ish miles on glass smooth autobahns. Normally 4:5 Hrs. I bet it takes us about six Hrs. Probably take me that long to get car & top box packed

Griff

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Went to try an Audi Q2 with DSG gearbox, loved it. However, I have now been considering a Lexus LBX or UX and I understand these have a CVT gearbox which is a slightly different driving experience. I'll be taking a test drive but before that, has anyone here tried or got one? 

2 hours ago, floydraser said:

Went to try an Audi Q2 with DSG gearbox, loved it. However, I have now been considering a Lexus LBX or UX and I understand these have a CVT gearbox which is a slightly different driving experience. I'll be taking a test drive but before that, has anyone here tried or got one? 

Unless they’ve developed CVT boxes massively, I don’t think they’ll stand up well to the DSG.  CVT transmissions boxes used to be fitted to DAF cars back in the sixties and seventies and the operating system must bear some similarities although the execution will be very different.  I may be wrong though.

Before swapping my wife’s car recently, she had a KIA Sportage with a 7 speed dual clutch transmission, similar in principle to the DSG box, but the changes were nowhere near as smooth.

As you can probably tell, I am a big fan of the DSG box.  I’ve driven probably over 150,000 miles in DSG equipped cars and love ‘em!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DSG , VW group, gear boxes are excellent provided they have been serviced meticulously and oil changed regularly if there is no service record on a car with a dsg then you would be advised to get it checked or warranted before parting with your hard earned .

As a footnote , I’ve driven in excess of a million miles on DSG gearboxes  and never had a failure 

• Like 3

I've now watched a few more wannabe Jeremy Clarksons on Youtube and I reckon I wouldn't like the CVT. It seems it revs it's nuts off when you boot it until it gets up to speed. And they're a bit sluggish if the 0-60 figures are anything to go by.

Had a DAF with cvt in the 80s, what a laugh! As said, it revved like mad to get moving, then caught up with itself. I liked it, in a quirky sort of way. Ended up driving it to the scrap yard under its own dying power - and a cloud of rust! 

• Like 1

Been to Worstead festival today and in the classic car entries was a russet brown DAF 55. Spoke to the owner and invariably the middle of the conversation centred on the transmission. Seems there are very few engineers around willing to work on, recondition/ exchange, one in the UK and one in Holland.

Seems a bit like Wankel engines and the NSU RO80. A great idea perhaps but never caught on, other than the Mazda rx7 & 8 from memory.

I wonder if the more modern CVT’s will suffer a similar fate and be scrappers outside of warranty in the event of a gearbox issue?

53 minutes ago, twowrights said:

I had a Toyota Corolla from new for three years until earlier this year, that was a CVT and never had any issues with it. You soon get used to not having the feel of gear changes too. 

What warranty did Toyota give on that Corolla, including the transmission, was it beyond the 3 years? 

That’s a fair point Floyd’, DAF’s elastic bands were probably too reliant on hope and perhaps short service life coupled with not being easily serviceable, shame as conventional small cars of that era have been reincarnated, thinking fiat 500, mini etc. even see a 30 year old Starlet regularly on my rounds with a glass area that triplex would be proud of!