First Night Mooring

Davydine

Good morning everyone, please could I pick your collective brains?

It is a week until our next Broads adventure. We will be picking up our boat from Herbert Woods in Potter Heigham on Friday afternoon. There will be two families on board, so the plan is that the other “dad” and I will get up to the boatyard at lunchtime to collect the boat and get unpacked and then the “mums” will collect the children from school and head straight to the boat. All being well we can cast off as soon as they arrive, which will be around 5.00pm.

The question is: where should we moor for the first night. I reckon we have a maximum of 2 hours before sunset, so in theory we could get as far as Ranworth, but if we can't find a mooring then there is not much time for a diversion. Obviously we will pass several good options, I quite fancy Thurne to try a pint in the Lion.

Where would you go?

2 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Thurne every time. The beer's amongst the best on the Broads, as is the food !

I have heard good things and the food menu looks amazing. I am worried about space in Thurne Dyke. Are there still BA moorings at Oby?

1 hour ago, Davydine said:

I have heard good things and the food menu looks amazing. I am worried about space in Thurne Dyke. 

At busy times it used to get rammed, even when the pub was crap.

Nowadays with the pub being much improved, yeah I think there's a strong possibility of that if there's a lot of boats out.

If you're plotting a course for Ranworth or Acle then you can always dart into Thurne if there's room...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davydine said:

I have heard good things and the food menu looks amazing. I am worried about space in Thurne Dyke. Are there still BA moorings at Oby?

The old Thurne Dyke/Boundary Farm moorings are no more. There are new BA moorings near where the old BF moorings were but for no more than three boats , dependent on size of course.

• Like 1

Whilst it isn't a great help to you, for me Davy the journey is far more important than the destination.

I would head off towards Ranworth, taking a look in Thurne Dyke and Womack to see if there is a space, then if not just plod along down the Thurne and Bure and stop off wherever a mooring is available.

Plenty of time for specific stops later in your holiday.

I would agree, chances at Ranworth later in the evening would be about nil I'm afraid. Likewise Womack is very popular too. Thurne Dyke can be deceptive - if you are prepared to venture down there is often space  which isn't immediately obvious from the river. Agree with Poppy, great pub with excellent beer. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I agree with the Thurne Dyke , Womack option , don’t forget there are also a few moorings to starboard in the dyke approaching Womack staithe , as a fall back as you will be setting off late I would make sure you have food / drink on board just in case , the other option would be Acle .

Thank you, we stayed in the dyke at Womack last year. We will have food and drink on board, fortunately, so the only challenge is finding a mooring. I would be more nervous in August!

7 hours ago, Davydine said:

Good morning everyone, please could I pick your collective brains?

It is a week until our next Broads adventure. We will be picking up our boat from Herbert Woods in Potter Heigham on Friday afternoon. There will be two families on board, so the plan is that the other “dad” and I will get up to the boatyard at lunchtime to collect the boat and get unpacked and then the “mums” will collect the children from school and head straight to the boat. All being well we can cast off as soon as they arrive, which will be around 5.00pm.

The question is: where should we moor for the first night. I reckon we have a maximum of 2 hours before sunset, so in theory we could get as far as Ranworth, but if we can't find a mooring then there is not much time for a diversion. Obviously we will pass several good options, I quite fancy Thurne to try a pint in the Lion.

Where would you go?

Heading South from Potter Heigham, the first turning to starboard is Womack Water where you might be lucky enough to get a mooring, then it's a short walk to the pub in Ludham Village, if moorings full then back out onto river and go to Thurne Dyke as others have suggested, plenty of moorings there.

Paul

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Davydine said:

I would be more nervous in August!

That is very true! To put it in context that really would be a problem! It shouldn't be too bad in May, just the 'honey pot' moorings get full but if you are flexible you won't have a problem. Actually Acle could be a good option if you can't get in at Thurne or Womack. I'm sure you'll be OK! :default_beerchug::default_beerchug:

• Like 1

St Benet's could be a good option if you have food onboard. Fleet Dyke is another but we've tended to find that fills up before St Benet's. The Bure calms down once the boats stop moving around and it can be a peaceful place to be.

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

St Benet's could be a good option if you have food onboard. Fleet Dyke is another but we've tended to find that fills up before St Benet's. The Bure calms down once the boats stop moving around and it can be a peaceful place to be.

St. Benets is almost a “must do” for us. This May bank holiday weekend is becoming an annual event with our friends and we love it there. We have found the moorings can be deserted or completely full.

Am I right to think that they are double moorings at St. Benets?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Davydine said:

Thank you, we stayed in the dyke at Womack last year. We will have food and drink on board, fortunately, so the only challenge is finding a mooring. I would be more nervous in August!

What about St Bennetts Abbey, Ludham Bridge, or the moorings in the dyke for South Walsham (Fleet Dyke is it?).  With food and drink on board you can forget about the pubs. 

• Like 1

See if you can get a dinghy from the yard, it will be good to keep the kids entertained, you can the drop a weight on any of the broads if the land moorings are full. It’s possible to then shuttle the crew over to the land/pub. There is always a fail safe/back/plan b in case. Just a thought.

Cheers

Paul 

• Like 3

Hi Davy, tomorrow morning (Saturday), go into the gift shop opposite the pub and say hello to Liz, she`s a really lovely friendly lady, and say Neil and Karen from Dorset will see her around the end of June / beginning of July.  

Have a great weekend mate.

• Like 1