Beccles Wooden Broads Cruiser Show 8th - 11th August 2019

• 2 weeks later...

Well I personally took 169 photo's of the event from Thursday afternoon through to Saturday night.

But have passed all copyright over to Dave. And as he is now on holiday for the next two weeks there may be a wait.

Unless he reads this and wishes me to post a few.

1 hour ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Well I personally took 169 photo's of the event from Thursday afternoon through to Saturday night.

But have passed all copyright over to Dave. And as he is now on holiday for the next two weeks there may be a wait.

Unless he reads this and wishes me to post a few.

Go for it mate 

I am interested in the references to Dawn Star.  My first visit to the Broads was September 1956 with my father when I was 8 years old and we spent a week on the Desert Star from Powles.

Is the Dawn Star the same same class?  If it is I must make sure I attend the next show if it is going to be there.

I have done a little research and found that Desert Star was being restored until a few years ago when all seems to have gone quiet, can anybody provide an update?

I currently own a boat that is moored on the southern Broads, it's a 1980s fibreglass job.

We also missed it, I thought it would be the engine that might let us down. The engine was perfect in the end and just needed a long cruise. We had decided not to attend and stay north and give her a good run and it's a good job we did. Judith managed to open up two seams on both the port and starboard sides just below the waterline meaning the pump was going off every 15 minutes. We returned to Martham on Friday and she was pulled out within 10 minutes of arriving and work began straight away. She was launched 30mins later. We've monitored the situation and things have improved. Martham are going back tomorrow to access if she needs to come out for more work. I suspect she will but it won't take them long to sort. We'll be around next year, gutted to have missed this year's. IMG_20190809_131038.jpeg

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, Katmandu said:

I am interested in the references to Dawn Star.  My first visit to the Broads was September 1956 with my father when I was 8 years old and we spent a week on the Desert Star from Powles.

Is the Dawn Star the same same class?  If it is I must make sure I attend the next show if it is going to be there.

I have done a little research and found that Desert Star was being restored until a few years ago when all seems to have gone quiet, can anybody provide an update?

I currently own a boat that is moored on the southern Broads, it's a 1980s fibreglass job.

Desert Stars restoration is currently stalled but I was assured yesterday that she would be completed and was not for sale!

Dawn Star will be back next year, Missouri Star is there every year and possibly Arctic Star who joined the cruise but was unable to attend the whole event. 

Thank you so much Dave, Family and everyone attending - an incredible experience and such warm, interesting people - we loved it. On route to Breydon - thankfully just moored up at Burgh Castle - had a perished pipe, chucking out hot water to contend with, but with the help of fellow Beccles to Breydon crossers all was well.

Straight back to work this morning - the rat race begins for another while...

image1.jpeg

• Like 4

21 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Desert Stars restoration is currently stalled but I was assured yesterday that she would be completed and was not for sale!

Dawn Star will be back next year, Missouri Star is there every year and possibly Arctic Star who joined the cruise but was unable to attend the whole event. 

Thank you JanetAnne for the update and at least three reasons for trying to visit the next show.

I hadn't thought of buying it and you shouldn't put ideas in my head although I suspect that anybody who puts the amount of work that is necessary into that sort of restoration would never want to sell.

I notice your location is Hertfordshire, not North by any chance?

2 hours ago, Katmandu said:

Thank you JanetAnne for the update and at least three reasons for trying to visit the next show.

I hadn't thought of buying it and you shouldn't put ideas in my head although I suspect that anybody who puts the amount of work that is necessary into that sort of restoration would never want to sell.

I notice your location is Hertfordshire, not North by any chance?

Buntingford ish      .