Ludham Bridge & Brinks Royale

simonwootton

We have Brinks Royale for 4 nights in August (can't wait) and planning to cruise up the River Ant to Barton and Stalham. Last time we visited we had Brinks Royale but I didn't risk Ludham bridge because the height on the Royale is listed as 8ft6in, same as Ludham Bridge. I watched the Captain's Blog review on the Royale and the 'London Rascal'/Robin (think that's his name) managed it no problem. I've since researched the bridge clearance in various places and the general opinion seems to be that the height gauges are generous and the Royale should be fine, especially at low tides. Would appreciate expert opinions from those in the know please to avoid red faces in August ........

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon

Yeah you've pretty much said it yourself... The height gauges are generous and the boats are marked up similarly, so provided the tides aren't crazy then you'll get through.

Obviously, always check the height gauge on the bridge just to be sure.

• Thanks 1

Better still, hire a boat that is designed to go through the bridges at all times. That way, you can go through Wroxham and Wayford bridge, meaning you can get to the quieter and much prettier stretches of the river.

I`m sure Barnes Brinkcraft will have some more suitable boats still available to swap your booking?.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Better still, hire a boat that is designed to go through the bridges at all times. That way, you can go through Wroxham and Wayford bridge, meaning you can get to the quieter and much prettier stretches of the river.

I`m sure Barnes Brinkcraft will have some more suitable boats still available to swap your booking?.

Good point, maybe next time around. We really liked the Royale last time so will judge on the day and go for it.

First time I did the Broads (last year) I was concerned about Ludham Bridge. But on the day no problem.

Official air draft of boat 8ft 10in: Gauge down stream of the bridge as we approached 8ft 6in: Actual clearance under the bridge 6in. As they say. You do the maths...

• Thanks 1

We took Brinks Royal 3 under Ludham Bridge in July 2017, gauge said 8ft 6”, boat’s air draft was 8ft 6” and we cautiously sailed through with about 6” to spare. When we returned under the bridge we had a Go-Pro attached to the cockpit roof handrail, we made it through, the Go-Pro wasn’t so lucky, it got cleaved off the base of the mount. The Go-Pro stood about 4” above the handrail and there must have been about 2” less than we needed.

Lovely boats, did everything we needed it to do. 

• Thanks 1

If i were to hire a boat again (syndicate owner now), i would NEVER EVER hire a high top design. I like to go above Wroxham, Beccles, and Wayford bridges. You are missing a fair few miles of the most prettiest stretches of the Broads.  

I know i`l get the usual "it`s about choice" crap but many years ago, there were very little of these designs around,  and without them, the local businesses in these upper reaches have suffered. Look at Hickling, no shop now, and the pleasure boat inn is only just surviving.  Look at Coltishall, trade in the pubs and shop since the closure of the airbase and the lower number of boats, the pubs again are just surviving. Where Beccles bridge is concerned, it`s really only the Lock Inn, but even that is also only just surviving. 

On the southern rivers, a high topped design is ok, where there are very few bridges, but you will still have the same at both Thorpe railway bridges, and Beccles as mentioned.

All too often, we hear people complaining about the loss of pubs and shops etc on the Broads, but sometimes, it`s those that hire, or buy the high top designs that do the complaining. Having cake and eating it comes to mind.

• Confused 1

Hi Simon. I've come to the conclusion that the height gauge at Ludham is a work of fiction (have a read of my recent holiday tale,  the post about Thursday 23rd May and you'll see what I mean). Another option you have if you're in doubt on the day is wait until all's clear and tiptoe right up to the bridge ultra-slowly with a crew member positioned appropriately to make a judgement of the gap between boat and bridge. If they're in any doubt, just back up and have a look another day. 

I think the style of boat you hire is very much down to personal choice and for me part of the fun of hiring is having a different boat each time to fit the time of year, crew and what I want to be doing. Royale is a nice looking boat and a good choice in my view. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Simon we are moored at Stalham and our boat is 8ft 6ins. We have gone through Ludham  regularly without problem for the last 5 years, Just once we failed to get under on the way back as the river was in flood. We always make sure we going under at low tide and return at low tide. 

• Like 1

On 03/06/2019 at 20:26, Broads01 said:

Hi Simon. I've come to the conclusion that the height gauge at Ludham is a work of fiction (have a read of my recent holiday tale,  the post about Thursday 23rd May and you'll see what I mean). Another option you have if you're in doubt on the day is wait until all's clear and tiptoe right up to the bridge ultra-slowly with a crew member positioned appropriately to make a judgement of the gap between boat and bridge. If they're in any doubt, just back up and have a look another day. 

I think the style of boat you hire is very much down to personal choice and for me part of the fun of hiring is having a different boat each time to fit the time of year, crew and what I want to be doing. Royale is a nice looking boat and a good choice in my view. 

I think you are very much right that style of boat is very much personal choice.

This year we have gone for Swan Ranger a taller flybridge style boat. Last time we had Viscount a centre cockpit boat and we appreciated the higher outlook over the reeds and flood banks which is partly why we have gone for a taller boat again this time.

We have previously had the low level tubs with Brink of Joy (similar to Sonnet) and Evening Light which enabled us to go to the quieter sections of the rivers beneath the lower bridges.

Our first holiday on the Broads was in an aft cockpit boat on Brinks Breakaway. This really wasn't the best boat for a week on the Broads. In fact they only hire them out as day boats now but we enjoyed it none the less and it started a ongoing passion for the Broads and brought about years later the purchase of our own aft cockpit cruiser a Sealine S23, Naughty-Cal.

This was Breakaway outside the Reedham Ferry on our first Broads holiday.

10383010-955869241132384-701069113453607

More recently we have hired a sedan cruiser in Brittany, a Broom 29 the same as Brinks Duet and Mystic Horizon/Siesta. These boats certainly make an excellent choice out of season as you are very sheltered in the wheelhouse.

So over the years we have hired pretty much all of the boat styles on offer. They all have their pros and cons. But for us now we really enjoy the extra scenery that you enjoy from the taller boats, which does mean that we forego some of the prettier sections of river.

• Like 2

On 03/06/2019 at 19:31, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Look at Coltishall, trade in the pubs and shop since the closure of the airbase and the lower number of boats, the pubs again are just surviving. 

You clearly haven’t been to the Rising Sun lately. If you don’t book in advance you have either a long wait or little chance of a table. 

5 hours ago, brundallNavy said:

You clearly haven’t been to the Rising Sun lately. If you don’t book in advance you have either a long wait or little chance of a table. 

No, and the reason why, when Karen and i were moored at the common, we went in to the rising sun for a drink and were enjoying a game of pool. Because we were the last ones in there, they turned the lights out and told us to drink up, basically though us out and just wanted to shut up shop early, well, it was nearly 9.45. Needless to say, we`ve never been in there since, prefering to go to the pub between the common and the village, though i`m sure i read on here that had closed.

32 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

No, and the reason why, when Karen and i were moored at the common, we went in to the rising sun for a drink and were enjoying a game of pool. Because we were the last ones in there, they turned the lights out and told us to drink up, basically though us out and just wanted to shut up shop early, well, it was nearly 9.45. Needless to say, we`ve never been in there since, prefering to go to the pub between the common and the village, though i`m sure i read on here that had closed.

If that’s more than 12 months ago then it’s changed hands since. You would not recognise it from before hence it’s now so busy. 

25 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

When was that, hasn’t it changed hands?

It was years ago now, but it left a sour taste, so don`t go in there. Now however, if we were going to moor over night we`d moor at the lock, and go to the Recruiting Seargent.

Yes, I’d heard that The Recruiting Sergeant had been taken over last year. One thing that I’ve learnt with the Norfolk Broads is not to assume pubs/restaurants that are poor one year will be as poor the next year, or even the next month. Failing places frequently get taken over, and new owners need supporting.

I tend to check on Trip Advisor and Google for that...never rule anywhere out!