Fly Tipping

Hylander

Might it refer to the Postwick Viaduct moorings opposite the Ferry Inn? That would probably be a fly-tippers paradise, nice wide quiet track to it. Not exactly Surlingham I know but I can’t recall a staithe as such on the Surlingham side. Can someone pinpoint it please?

9 hours ago, Hylander said:

While i find fly tipping very undesirable and antisocial, when you consider the fact that local authorities have systematically reduced or completely removed all the waste disposal facilities etc (we`ve all complained about it on this forum), it`s only to be expected. Local authority MUST accept SOME responsibility for the fact they`ve removed the very facilities that would put a stop to this sort of antisocial action. 

We`ve all seen the campaigns to reduce plastic etc, but the real issue is why this plastic is in the sea, on beaches, in roadside verges etc etc. We`re supposed to be recycling, but when people put rubbish in streetside bins etc, they have officious idiots trying to fine them £50 because "it`s the wrong type of rubbish". Also, why is it we put all our plastic bottles and tins etc into a recycling bin, then find out it`s only dumped into landfill sites, why are we paying extra council tax for recycling when they just don`t do it.

It`s the system that is wrong, if the system was`nt broken, fly tipping would be kept to a very minimum.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Broadly speaking it is down to the bean counters from the goverment down to us, yes even us. Again broadly speaking every year we all need more money and for some time now the goverment has been squeezing councils until the pips burst so departments such as refuse collection have made alterations.

Gone are the weekly bin collections and some councils happily gave contracts to companies to carry out the service for them and allowed these companies to set out a list of things that they charge for which some people object to and found other ways of disposing of their rubbish. Tradepeople now need a waste carriers licence for anything bigger than a sandwich bag found in their van and when they do go to refuse collection points the costs have increased by a large amount of late and that is passed on to the customer ie you and I.

There has always been cowboy fly tippers but because of the above reasons it has now become worse and as for which type of plastic can go where, well not all plastics are the same and to get people to comply they can and do fine us which kind of takes us back to the start.

2 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

While i find fly tipping very undesirable and antisocial, when you consider the fact that local authorities have systematically reduced or completely removed all the waste disposal facilities etc (we`ve all complained about it on this forum), it`s only to be expected. Local authority MUST accept SOME responsibility for the fact they`ve removed the very facilities that would put a stop to this sort of antisocial action. 

We`ve all seen the campaigns to reduce plastic etc, but the real issue is why this plastic is in the sea, on beaches, in roadside verges etc etc. We`re supposed to be recycling, but when people put rubbish in streetside bins etc, they have officious idiots trying to fine them £50 because "it`s the wrong type of rubbish". Also, why is it we put all our plastic bottles and tins etc into a recycling bin, then find out it`s only dumped into landfill sites, why are we paying extra council tax for recycling when they just don`t do it.

It`s the system that is wrong, if the system was`nt broken, fly tipping would be kept to a very minimum.

Ive said before that I think the reason there is so much plastic in the sea is not just because it blows off seafronts and beaches but because its been dumped there on a commercial scale by unscrupulous countries and its probably been going on for years.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Broadly speaking it is down to the bean counters from the goverment down to us, yes even us.  

I totally disagree that it`s also down to us. All we do is pay our taxes and get less for it. Yet all the local authorities still have their "twinning meetings" in their twin towns in europe, and furthermore, host them in return, which is all funded from council tax, ie, OUR money. The council hierachy still get their enormous expense accounts and bonuses, the cost of council tax goes up, yet the level of public services goes down, and on top of that, gets subbed out to dubious contract companies who then give "donations shall we say?" to council officials who pull strings to satisfy themselves financially. And guess what, WE, the electorate, have absolutely no opportunity in law to take them to task and force them to do what`s best for all concerned. 

Government, be it National or local, will NEVER represent you and i, it does`nt benefit them one bit. Listen to their speaches when canvassing, they always say what "they believe" and what "they`re going to do", yet they NEVER ask, what would you like me to do if i get elected. No, they`re all there to represent a party, and NOT the electorate.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

If I were a council chief exec taking a 150k + salary and having to cut services I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.  

Much of the countries shortfalls could easily be recouped from Government/Local Government top end wages that have just got well OTT in my opinion.  

We are not a Country short of money, we are a Country spending in ridiculous ways. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dnks34 said:

We are not a Country short of money, we are a Country spending in ridiculous ways.

I agree with that part of your post but not really the rest of it. The Chief execs get the going rate for the job. Pay peanuts and you get (worse) monkeys!

Councils and Governments have strange priorities but the high wages of those in charge do not make significant figures when comparing them with the services we all demand.

The sad truth is that people are living longer, and in doing so they use the facilities available to them for longer. Pensions, care for the elderly etc.etc all cost money, loads of money! We are told to exercise more, eat and drink less and stop smoking altogether. To do these things cost the state and local councils a fortune as not only do we last longer but pay less tax from booze and fags.

Councils are of course, political animals with one side always trying to undermine the other. If a government demands cuts, opposition councils will cut things that are obvious to we the voters while aligned councils will try their level best to make those cuts where it doesn't show.

The bottom line is simple. We are asking for more services without wanting to pay for them. You want the broads bins returned? Pay more tax and they can be. You want more money spent on education? pay more tax. NHS, the same.

We as individuals CAN do something about it. Stop littering, stop suing the NHS, the police, and every other national service, to earn a bob or three from them. You trip on some uneven paving? Dopn't sue the council,  just look where you're bloody going.

If we start taking back responsibility for our actions then we can stop paying others to take that responsibility for us.

• Like 6

Sorry John I disagree a little. Some twonk decided that public service senior posts had to compete with commercial, you know WEALTH GENERATING jobs. I completely disagree with that premise. There are few Senior Quality people from commercial enterprises in public service. Reason,  they can’t or actually won’t afford us. That tells you all you need to know about their desire for quality. 

The self aggrandizing few who are head of some public service or other have a vested interest in saying they have to be competitive with wealth generators like the head of GSK or BP, Then they actually on many occasions don’t employ them or anybody under them as they have no experience in public service... ! 

All I have to say about that is REALLY ? 

you couldn’t make this stuff up nobody would believe you.

Chief execs and their rewards are scrutinized by the shareholders, who scrutinizes the same in the public sector? Certainly not the public!!

I don’t care if they pay peanuts get monkeys just get an accountable and talented one. 

M

• Like 1

I am firmly of the belief that a revenue generating profit making commercial enterprise is entitled to pay its top end staff at whatever level it sees fit. 

The fact that such luxury, exorbitant salaries are being copied into the public service industry, paid for by you and I is nothing short of obscene and is a practice that needs to be reigned in.  

Why have local Councils got no money?  I know exactly where I would be looking for it. 

Lets also not forgot that only a few years ago these “cash strapped” local council’s collectively had over 14 Billion pounds in reserves, some of this may be earmarked money for agreed projects but still they plead poverty, make cost savings that end up affecting you and I but will still justify the obscene amount of money that is going out on wages for people that whatever way you look at it, shuffle papers and push pens. 

There is more money going into the system than there ever has been.....make it work in the right places its a very simple concept to get a grasp of.  

• Like 1

yet cuts are always made on staffing levels at the lower end of the pay scale, its never well we either get rid of 50 cleaning staff or one chief executive, so they get rid of the cleaning staff while the chief executive complains his office is filthy.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, grendel said:

yet cuts are always made on staffing levels at the lower end of the pay scale, its never well we either get rid of 50 cleaning staff or one chief executive, so they get rid of the cleaning staff while the chief executive complains his office is filthy.

There is always money for 'wars' and Royals.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Perhaps it would be best (in keeping with the friendly forum ethos) if we agree to differ on whether or not we agree with each other.

Agreed?

I don't agree with either of you . . . but I don't know why.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Hylander said:

According to Google Maps it is as the above map indicates.     Robin took his inflatable down there some time ago.

But I don’t think he got all the way to the staithe. Looking at an OS map, I assume the staithe would be reached by road from The Common as it is referred to? Can anyone confirm that? It would be nice to know the exact location of the area concerned!

On 27/06/2019 at 19:54, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I totally disagree that it`s also down to us. All we do is pay our taxes and get less for it. Yet all the local authorities still have their "twinning meetings" in their twin towns in europe, and furthermore, host them in return, which is all funded from council tax, ie, OUR money. The council hierachy still get their enormous expense accounts and bonuses, the cost of council tax goes up, yet the level of public services goes down, and on top of that, gets subbed out to dubious contract companies who then give "donations shall we say?" to council officials who pull strings to satisfy themselves financially. And guess what, WE, the electorate, have absolutely no opportunity in law to take them to task and force them to do what`s best for all concerned. 

Government, be it National or local, will NEVER represent you and i, it does`nt benefit them one bit. Listen to their speaches when canvassing, they always say what "they believe" and what "they`re going to do", yet they NEVER ask, what would you like me to do if i get elected. No, they`re all there to represent a party, and NOT the electorate.

Totally agree and I seem to see some similarities with waste and mismanagement closer to home.

Fred

• Like 1