Old Time Radio

Timbo

This is the BBC Home Service.
Hold it up to the light – not a brain in sight.

Some of you will know by now that I tend to see the world through 'Goon' tinted glasses. Not just The Goons but programming such as 'the Navy lark', 'Hancock's Half Hour', 'The Men From The Ministry',  'Round the Horne' and the panoply of what is now referred to as 'vintage radio comedy'. As I say my vision is tinted by classic humour, I can't help but see the world as a comedy on the 'Light Programme'. 

I mean, take today's news report on the changes in personnel in charge of fashion at Marks & Sparks. The chief executive Steve Rowe noting failings such as not buying enough jeans for a promotion. He then comes out with a pure gem worthy of Julian and Sandy.
"That led to us having some of the worst availability in casual trousers I've seen in my life,".
Ooh, ain't 'ee bold!

But today has brought a joy far greater than scarcity in the trouser department at M&S. Today, on the drive back from Sheffield, granddaughter Gracie and her best friend Lola discovered 'The Goons'. Explosions of belly laughs erupted from the back seat of the car as they listened to Quatermass OBE on the radio.
"Put Bluebottle on again!" Gracie pleaded crying with laughter when Peter Sellers as Bluebottle said 'chips and brown gravy' while I explained you can't rewind radio.
But fortunately, I had my recordings on MP3 so we got to listen to my favourite 'Tales of Men's Shirts'. 
"Can we listen to Bluebottle on the radio on the boat?" asked Gracie.
"Oh no!" exclaimed Grandma.
"Oh Yes!" said Timbo.

First, Grace gets hooked on boats and now The Goons. Today has been a good day! Or is that a Goon day? Thynne!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Timbo said:

This is the BBC Home Service.
Hold it up to the light – not a brain in sight.

Some of you will know by now that I tend to see the world through 'Goon' tinted glasses. Not just The Goons but programming such as 'the Navy lark', 'Hancock's Half Hour', 'The Men From The Ministry',  'Round the Horne' and the panoply of what is now referred to as 'vintage radio comedy'. As I say my vision is tinted by classic humour, I can't help but see the world as a comedy on the 'Light Programme'. 

I mean, take today's news report on the changes in personnel in charge of fashion at Marks & Sparks. The chief executive Steve Rowe noting failings such as not buying enough jeans for a promotion. He then comes out with a pure gem worthy of Julian and Sandy.
"That led to us having some of the worst availability in casual trousers I've seen in my life,".
Ooh, ain't 'ee bold!

But today has brought a joy far greater than scarcity in the trouser department at M&S. Today, on the drive back from Sheffield, granddaughter Gracie and her best friend Lola discovered 'The Goons'. Explosions of belly laughs erupted from the back seat of the car as they listened to Quatermass OBE on the radio.
"Put Bluebottle on again!" Gracie pleaded crying with laughter when Peter Sellers as Bluebottle said 'chips and brown gravy' while I explained you can't rewind radio.
But fortunately, I had my recordings on MP3 so we got to listen to my favourite 'Tales of Men's Shirts'. 
"Can we listen to Bluebottle on the radio on the boat?" asked Gracie.
"Oh no!" exclaimed Grandma.
"Oh Yes!" said Timbo.

First, Grace gets hooked on boats and now The Goons. Today has been a good day! Or is that a Goon day? Thynne!

Hi Tim,

When our two sons were small on our car journeys we used to play cassettes of Round The Horn & The Navy Lark to pass the time on our travels to Devon. 

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Left hand down a bit..

Yesterday I was listening to Anne Shelton on the radio... She was singing on Glenn Miller's last ever radio show..

This was her 1956 hit..

(PS my radio has dab and memory storage on it)

my memory of the goon show on the radio is tiptoeing around the house as my dad was recording it on his tape cassettes using a microphone, of course if you did step on a floorboard that creaked you got the look - then followed the utterly silent argument, with mouths working but no noise, if you were unlucky you were sent to your room, entailing a trip up the stairs avoiding the creaky steps, (or further glares were in evidence)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, grendel said:

my memory of the goon show on the radio is tiptoeing around the house as my dad was recording it on his tape cassettes using a microphone, of course if you did step on a floorboard that creaked you got the look - then followed the utterly silent argument, with mouths working but no noise, if you were unlucky you were sent to your room, entailing a trip up the stairs avoiding the creaky steps, (or further glares were in evidence)

That must have been repeats as the goon show finished 1960 and the absolute first cassette tapes were 1962, for most people much later than that..

Still being repeated to this day 08:30 on Thursday mornings. Radio Four Extra

Yesterdays was The Scarlet Capsule. Now on listen again

Next week it's The Tay Bridge. Who said the Tay bridge was weak? Most of the passengers.:default_coat:

If you wish to listen to any of the shows mentioned above

http://www.radioechoes.com/

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

That must have been repeats as the goon show finished 1960 and the absolute first cassette tapes were 1962, for most people much later than that..

It would have had to have been, I wasnt born until 1960, probably just about in the 70's