Fish Pie

SPEEDTRIPLE

Seeing as you're on a boat, how about making a fish pie? 

4 lrge potato, boiled and mashed, with a handful of grated cheese (of you choice), stirred in together, 

Two packets of fish pie mix (smoked haddock, cod, and salmon, add some prawns if you like), or fresh fish of your choice. 

4 hard boiled eggs, 

1 small onion roughly chopped or quartered 

4 Bay leaves

Dill

Parsley

Half a litre of milk

Chives

Poach the fish in the milk along with the onion, dill, and bay leaves until nearly cooked, strain the milk and save. 

Put the cooked fish and onion mix into a pie dish along with bayleaves and eggs (quartered or chopped) and add some parsley

Make white sauce with the saved milk, add more if needed, and pour over the fish. 

Spread the cheesy mash on top, and sprinkle some chives over. 

Bake in the oven for half an hour. 

Serve with sliced carrots and garden pea's. 

All quantities etc can be adjusted to taste. 

I've made this many times at home, though last time, it stunk the house out for days afterwards. It was still delicious though. 

• Like 2

I don't know why but the very thought of fish pie makes me heave, just as does the thought of curried fish! Unadorned fried or baked, in other words not messed around with, prime fresh fish just can't be bettered, in my opinion. As a kid I used to help an uncle out for pocket money on Lowestoft fish market. Prime fish went to fish restaurants and fish mongers, what was known as broken fish, still fresh but not so presentable, went to the fish & chip shops where it was covered in batter,  even more broken, less than prime, and perhaps getting on a bit went into fish cakes, fish pies and the like whilst the left overs either went into fish paste, nearby co-op food factory, or the glue wagon (offal).  Funny how childhood memories linger!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I don't know why but the very thought of fish pie makes me heave, just as does the thought of curried fish! Unadorned fried or baked, in other words not messed around with, prime fresh fish just can't be bettered, in my opinion. As a kid I used to help an uncle out for pocket money on Lowestoft fish market. Prime fish went to fish restaurants and fish mongers, what was known as broken fish, still fresh but not so presentable, went to the fish & chip shops where it was covered in batter,  even more broken, less than prime, and perhaps getting on a bit went into fish cakes, fish pies and the like whilst the left overs either went into fish paste, nearby co-op food factory, or the glue wagon (offal).  Funny how childhood memories linger!

A good friend of mine came down here to Dorset a few weeks back. We went to Poole bike night and walked along the Quay. When we got to what is known as "fisherman's Quay" he was heaving in a big way. We soon walked far away. 

1 hour ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Seeing as you're on a boat, how about making a fish pie? 

4 lrge potato, boiled and mashed, with a handful of grated cheese (of you choice), stirred in together, 

Two packets of fish pie mix (smoked haddock, cod, and salmon, add some prawns if you like), or fresh fish of your choice. 

4 hard boiled eggs, 

1 small onion roughly chopped or quartered 

4 Bay leaves

Dill

Parsley

Half a litre of milk

Chives

Poach the fish in the milk along with the onion, dill, and bay leaves until nearly cooked, strain the milk and save. 

Put the cooked fish and onion mix into a pie dish along with bayleaves and eggs (quartered or chopped) and add some parsley

Make white sauce with the saved milk, add more if needed, and pour over the fish. 

Spread the cheesy mash on top, and sprinkle some chives over. 

Bake in the oven for half an hour. 

Serve with sliced carrots and garden pea's. 

All quantities etc can be adjusted to taste. 

I've made this many times at home, though last time, it stunk the house out for days afterwards. It was still delicious though. 

I agree after making a fish pie , the aroma does linger somewhat.     Such a shame Peter does not enjoy a properly made fresh fish pie , it is delicious,  thank you for the recipe.

• Like 2

I am quite partial to fish in all guises, however Tony hates it -  big time! When we eat out I invariably have fish because he makes my life such a misery if I attempt to cook fish at home, He's almost paranoid about the smell of fish,. He actually quite likes my  fish pie, which I hasten to add is never made with any of the 2nd rate stuff described by Jenny Martin, however even though he quite likes it I am not allowed to make it as he can't stand the smell! I don't dislike the smell of fresh fish as long as it is fresh that is.

Carole

26 minutes ago, addicted said:

I am quite partial to fish in all guises, however Tony hates it -  big time! When we eat out I invariably have fish because he makes my life such a misery if I attempt to cook fish at home, He's almost paranoid about the smell of fish,. He actually quite likes my  fish pie, which I hasten to add is never made with any of the 2nd rate stuff described by Jenny Martin, however even though he quite likes it I am not allowed to make it as he can't stand the smell! I don't dislike the smell of fresh fish as long as it is fresh that is.

Carole

At Bridgestone in Potter, they do an excellent fish pie. Karen and I took Liz from Ramblers up there for Lunch one day last November when we were aboard Lightning. Really yummy too. 

• Like 1

I love fish, I must eat fish 4 or 5 times a week.

If you want to give your fish pie a bit of a luxury lift, say for a dinner party I use Monkfish, Scallops, large prawns, and Salmon. Leave out the smoked fish as it would overpower the other fish. A very good standby for a pie and fish in general is this loyd Grossman sauce.

20190719_113535.thumb.jpg.afe0e5a2d1a245dd96a961f56ef4459e.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for that tip.

If you want to give your fish pie a bit of a luxury lift, say for a dinner party I use Monkfish, Scallops, large prawns, and Salmon. Leave out the smoked fish as it would overpower the other fish. A very good standby for a pie and fish in general is this loyd Grossman sauce.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

3 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Sorry, but you can't make fish pie without smoked fish, or with ready made sauce. Poaching the smoked haddock in the milk from which you base your sauce is essential for the depth of flavour. If it is overpowering you dish, you are either using too much, or the dreaded coloured fish. Buy undyed smoked fish, 1 part smoked to 4 parts unsmoked fish. I don't like cheese or egg in my fish pie either, don't add anything to detract from the flavour of the fish. I tend to use equal parts fresh salmon fillet, cod loin, smoked haddock, queen scallop and tiger prawns. If I'm making it just for me I'd add a few mussels as well but Elaine diesn't like them. Heat the milk, not quite to the boil then remove from the heat, add the fish, large cubes, don't shop it too finely. They tend to do that in restaurants. Leave the fish in the hot milk, off the heat for five minutes, no more. Remove the fish carefully then make a rich lemon butter sauce, no garlic! Add four tablespoons of double cream and a small handful of chopped fresh parsley and about half that amount of chopped chive and two sage leaves, very finely chopped. Add the milk a little at a time whilst heating gently and whisking. A Kenwood cooking chef is great for this job and an excellent kitchen investment. It's almost like making mayonnaise. Dribble the warm milk in a little at a time so that you maintain the texture of the sauce, it should be smooth and light and velvety. Once you have the right texture of the sauce, (you won't need all of the milk) return the fish and leave on a low heat. The sauce should just hold a spoon, like softly whipped cream. 

In the meantime you should have roasted about a dozen medium rooster potatoes until soft througout. Scoop out the centres and cream with a small amount of creme fraiche and season to taste. Pipe onto a non stick baking sheet in rounds to fit your serving dishes and flash under a hot grill until it starts to colour. Place the fish into individual warmed serving dishes and gently place the roast potato mash on top, add a small amount of fresh chopped parsely and serve with buttered asparagus of sugar snaps, according to season.

Just how they taught me to do it and Le Manoir

• Like 2

I miss Le Manoir,  my late wife's and mine's favourite for a special occasion when we lived at Bledlow Ridge. Although The Sir Charles Napier ran a close second and as it was just at the end of our road often won our business.

PS. This thread was about cooking on a boat, and I doubt the OP meant the galley of QMII.

I think the responses here really do go to show that there are many variations of fish pie and we all have our special ways and ideas. No right or wrong ways, just individual. I reckon the real problem is what you should drink with fish pie! 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Years ago, when I worked on the South Coast, we would catch mackerel, fish that would then be split and dry fried or smoked on an ABU Smoker, minutes after catching . The smoked mackerel, like ultra fresh smoked whiting,  made superb eating. Cod, on the other hand, seems better after resting for 12 hours or so. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Years ago, when I worked on the South Coast, we would catch mackerel, fish that would then be split and dry fried or smoked on an ABU Smoker, minutes after catching . The smoked mackerel, like ultra fresh smoked whiting,  made superb eating. Cod, on the other hand, seems better after resting for 12 hours or so. 

Gosh, Peter, I had forgotten the ABU smokers and their "Hickory Dust" they were an excellent bit of kit, and brilliant if you were trailing some feathers.

• Like 1

I love fish pie . For me it must contain smoked haddock or cod (undyed),  fresh salmon, a white fish and some prawns. In my view it makes too much washing up to be a practical boat recipe, but I do like to eat it on the odd occasion when we eat out. The Recruiting Sergeant at Coltishall used to do a very good one but we haven't been there for a while . Time for a visit methinks....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paul said:

Sorry, but you can't make fish pie without smoked fish, or with ready made sauce. Poaching the smoked haddock in the milk from which you base your sauce is essential for the depth of flavour. If it is overpowering you dish, you are either using too much, or the dreaded coloured fish. Buy undyed smoked fish, 1 part smoked to 4 parts unsmoked fish. I don't like cheese or egg in my fish pie either, don't add anything to detract from the flavour of the fish. I tend to use equal parts fresh salmon fillet, cod loin, smoked haddock, queen scallop and tiger prawns. If I'm making it just for me I'd add a few mussels as well but Elaine diesn't like them. Heat the milk, not quite to the boil then remove from the heat, add the fish, large cubes, don't shop it too finely. They tend to do that in restaurants. Leave the fish in the hot milk, off the heat for five minutes, no more. Remove the fish carefully then make a rich lemon butter sauce, no garlic! Add four tablespoons of double cream and a small handful of chopped fresh parsley and about half that amount of chopped chive and two sage leaves, very finely chopped. Add the milk a little at a time whilst heating gently and whisking. A Kenwood cooking chef is great for this job and an excellent kitchen investment. It's almost like making mayonnaise. Dribble the warm milk in a little at a time so that you maintain the texture of the sauce, it should be smooth and light and velvety. Once you have the right texture of the sauce, (you won't need all of the milk) return the fish and leave on a low heat. The sauce should just hold a spoon, like softly whipped cream. 

In the meantime you should have roasted about a dozen medium rooster potatoes until soft througout. Scoop out the centres and cream with a small amount of creme fraiche and season to taste. Pipe onto a non stick baking sheet in rounds to fit your serving dishes and flash under a hot grill until it starts to colour. Place the fish into individual warmed serving dishes and gently place the roast potato mash on top, add a small amount of fresh chopped parsely and serve with buttered asparagus of sugar snaps, according to season.

Just how they taught me to do it and Le Manoir

Snob :default_gbxhmm: :default_laugh:

I love fish pie but it really does have to be my own, Speedy you lost me with the eggs and prawns :facepalm:eggs have no business being with fish in my eyes, ewww gip.  Now prawns eeesh no I can't do any kind of shellfish, it's not for me sorry lol call me boring but eww no, I canny do it captain

• Like 1

• 1 year later...