Broad Ambition The Beer

Hi everyone, sorry I've not posted for ages!

I've been keeping my eye in though and do keep the NBN facebook group aprised of my broadsy wanderings and (fallings in recently) as and when, however for  last couple of weeks I've spent a couple of evenings making some beer for Lads Week, and I thought you might appreciate some pictures! 

It got a bit bigger than I originally expected, when I mentioned I wanted to do a brew to a mate that is into his beer and uses "brew club" facilities whereby you can rent the equipment and space for a pretty decent sum to make some beer. 

So I decided to give it a go, and asked him to help me, during our discussions he mentioned that he'd spotted "wild" some hops growing by a railway line In Walthamstow Marshes. I've since discovered it probably seeded it's self there from hops that fell out of trains heading to the the Truman's Brewery in Hackney. 

I booked a spot in the "brew club"  and we went and harvested the hops.

2 hours of , cooking??? Hopping...  and other words, I can't remember followed by 2 weeks and fermentation and then some bottling and labeling tonight we've got about 60ish pints of Broad Ambition The Beer! CHEERS! 20191004_210543.thumb.jpg.14086170e92f02009cea98293e73ca97.jpg

20191004_211312.jpg

20191004_211305.jpg

20190924_192319.jpg

20190924_191339.jpg

20190925_203942.jpg

20191004_173310.jpg

IMG-20190925-WA0018.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Wow, respect! :default_icon_bowdown:

Well done. Anyone can drink beer but it takes great skill to make it. Just wish I could try it! 

Send that picture of a hop to John Smiths, they might be interested to see what these strange things look like. :default_norty: 

Thnks Mr N. It's got a week of bottle conditioning before we try it! :1330_v_tone1:🤞 let's hope it tastes alright! :default_drinks:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KaptinKev said:

If the beer proves a success, are we going to see a bottle of it slammed into the side of BA with some ribbon and a note of " God bless those that sail on her and get drunk on this bloomin stuff". :default_biggrin:

The idea did spring to mind, :default_laugh::default_laugh: but I think Charlie might have a thing or 2 to say about bottles being ceremoniously or even unceremoniously thrown at BA :594c04ff2c94f_default_policesmiley:

• Haha 1

This was the commissioning ceremony at John Williams Boat yard October 2007.  Sandy Williams breaking a bottle of champagne on 'B.A's bow, we scored the bottle with a glass cutter first, then held a landing net underneath said bottle to catch the broken glass.  'B.A' has a s/steel strip on the bow which received the bottle nicely

Happy days them were

Griff

BA NBN 664.JPG

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

It’s probably easier to post where we are not going.  A first for this years Lads Week is an overnight in GYA. Well it was bound to happen one day.  It’s not like I can blame anyone else as I’m responsible for the Navplan 

Griff

With the water temperature dropping fast Yarmouth's famous crabs move into deeper water thus are harder to catch! 

• Haha 3

Charlie, you would have to admit, that with the hours of sunrise and sunset and the tide times this year, that was probably the only sensible option other than punching the tides hard and just wasting fuel, as it is we will at least only be punching the tide up as far as the yacht station that day, then using the more favourable tides next day to get up north again.

As far as the rest of the itinerary goes, I for one will be visiting locations I have never yet managed to visit so thats a plus for me too.

I have been slowly getting everything ready, camera batteries are charging, the shove halfpenny board have been dug out and prepared, darts purchased, and all the other myriad of holiday preparations are taking place.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

With the water temperature dropping fast Yarmouth's famous crabs move into deeper water thus are harder to catch! 

I had wondered why certain members of the lads week (myself included) had been practicing falling into the water recently.(I thought I would get that one in before anyone else did).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

It’s probably easier to post where we are not going.  A first for this years Lads Week is an overnight in GYA. Well it was bound to happen one day.  It’s not like I can blame anyone else as I’m responsible for the Navplan 

Griff

Hi Griff,

Everyone goes to Great Yarmouth once:default_norty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 2