Where Was This?

pastboating

No idea but the clues are. The area has been mown, so not a wild mooring. She has a spring line so possibly very tidal and the aft lines seem to be attached to rings rather than the wooden posts to the fore. Across the dyke, river or basin, where the Alpha style boat is moored, there is fencing  and possibly a vehicle can be made out above the sliding canopy of the Aston. Two electricity posts can be seen. 

Fred

As I have said before a great couple to hire from. We hired from them from 1980 to 86.  It was an excellent area of the Broads to start our first holiday and get used to the boat,  so peaceful, not many other boats till we reached Barton Broad where in those times we were joined by Richardsons boats and many more from yards I cannot remember.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Was that the boatyard known as Neatishead boatyard that had Ocean 30s? I'm trying to visualise where exactly it was - looking at the original photo was the bridge behind you and to the left?

47 minutes ago, marshman said:

No it is taken from where Banks Boats is today  I think? Good one that - threw me a bit as you have not been able to moor in there for years now - not even on the front.

I'm pretty sure that the first pic was taken from the Neatishead boatyard dyke looking out onto the main river meaning the Alpha bathtub is on the 24 hour moorings, Bank Boats is the next dyke to the left(just visible through the foiliage I think) and the bridge itself is also to the left but in front of the camera not behind. I think the 24 hour mooring now has a larger more solid fence seperating it from the house adjacent so looks different, which is what threw me. Those power poles seen in the background are probably in the vicinity of the main road/pub.

My pic is looking from the other side of the river, I estimate the Aston in Pastboating's pic is roughly were the Broom skipper is in mine.

Annoyingly I have loads of pics of that view but my boat was obscuring the crucial area in about 99% of them.

20161229_095355.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Definately Neatishead boatyard as it was in the 80's. In the second Aston photo you can see Peter's crane in the background. He did have 6 Ocean 30's, we always hired Aquajet. I have attached the only other photo I have of the area (sorry for the quality). It was the last day of our 1982 holiday. You can see Aquajet nearest with others in the background. Pleased to have challenged some of you. Keep safe.

oceans (2).jpg

• Like 2