Organ Donation

From today,the law has changed. Every one of us will be expected to donate  our organs on our passing.This will greatly increase the number of organs available to the many that badly need a transplant. Those that dont want to donate for many reasons will need to opt out.

It it advisable to inform your family and they you.

I for one welcome this long overdue change to the law.Marina has had two kidney operations. Thankfully repairs,she didn't require a transplant. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

They are welcome to anything still working but the brains a lost cause and I'm working on ruling the liver out, eyes don't work that well without glasses, ears have battery powered assistance and lungs are well bu55ered, I can't donate blood due to ms but organs are still allowed as the recipient can make an informed choice on the risks whereas blood tends to be less tracked.

I don't get shot of anything till I've well and truly worn it out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

M, keep your card.

Everyone else, make sure your nearest and dearest understand your wishes, families can still over rule the implied consent so talk to them now.

It has always puzzled me why most people would jump at the chance if a transplant if needed but so many hesitate to be a donor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, psychicsurveyor said:

M, keep your card.

Everyone else, make sure your nearest and dearest understand your wishes, families can still over rule the implied consent so talk to them now.

It has always puzzled me why most people would jump at the chance if a transplant if needed but so many hesitate to be a donor.

Will do.

I can only say the Doctors would  take a decision as to if a organ is suitable. The important  thing is,there is a need to increase organs available for donation. This law came about when the parents of a little girl,came to a very tough  decision to allow there little girls kidney to go to a young  boy ,following on from a car crash that sadly killed her.Both the girl and boy were nine.

The thing about organ donation, that is over looked is somebody has to be dying or dead first but they never seem to get sympathy, especialy someones dying child.

They all pray for a donor, not considering someone has to die.

Yes I know someone else can live BUT they have to die!

I am opting out.

I have a very deep distrust of doctors.

paul

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

The thing about organ donation, that is over looked is somebody has to be dying or dead first but they never seem to get sympathy, especialy someones dying child.

I am opting out.

paul

:default_biggrin:  I have carried a donor card since they first came out.  If they can find any bits to help someone when I fall off the shelf good luck to them!  I am not sure where we go when the time comes but I am sure if we needed them they will be replaced! :default_drinks:

Keep safe all of yer.  Alan

• Like 1

I am sorry to hear your story  Paul.The piece on Breakfast  this morning was very well balanced. Both familys  involved of the little  girl and the boy have become very close  friends .On a personal note I'm not sure if any of my organs are of use,but as I've said in the event of my passing,If any organs is of us and can help save a life so be it.

Having been experimented on at 14 the op I had on 1 leg did not work so they wanted to try the same op on the other.

I had polio at 5 years old after the standard 3 injections.

It took the medical profession 45 years to admit giving live serum on sugar is dodgy, but no compensation for what they knew 5 years earlier than I suffered.

Believe me I spent a lot of time before internet looking into it.

They still ignore PPS as a consequence of polio.

I cannot regulate my body temperature, cold or hot.

Drugs are available but not for polio victims.

I do not trust them to save me instead of someone else!

paul

• Sad 4

After Tan's brain stem tests were performed, the two doctors pronounced her clinically dead.

We as a family discussed the possibility of Organ Donation with the organ donation team. Tan carried hepatitis B which was only discovered 40 years ago when she worked  at BT many of the staff gave blood at the drive. The result was that her medical card had a red spot on it and any medical procedure including the dentist had to take precautions. This didn't effect us much as a family.   We had to spend a long time with team and the consultant, filling in many forms resulting in Tan's organs being put on the national register, sadly all were rejected because of the hepatitis B.

After waiting a few days for any response from hospitals we allowed the doctors to take Tan off of life support and  we all said our goodbyes. 

I think the new legislation is a good way forward but it should only be used with the thoughts of the deceased and their families.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 3

There may be a host of reasons why a person decides to donate or not to donate. That is their right.

I agree that the default value should be to be a donor, as it strikes me as wrong for sloth to govern life. If a person can't be bothered to register his/her requirements they can't have particularly strong views on the matter.   HOWEVER...

I don't feel that open forum is the place to discuss ones personal views on whether or not to be a donor.

If someone has objections to the change in the law, then yes, that change is something to be discussed, but to discuss the rights and wrongs of donating itself is not, and should ever remain a personal and private affair. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Poppy said:

Has there been a shortage whilst motorcyclists have been under lockdown?

Not for nothing are they known as 'Organ Donors ' amongst the emergency services .

Well lockdown does not seem to have affected the pratt that was racing up and down last night on a very noisy motorbike for over an hour up and down the by pass near to Beccles.    The last thing I or anyone would want is for anyone to die but these things do happen and as has been said it is a personal choice.

I fully understand  and agree this is a personal choice.My main reason to do this post,is clear.The change  in law which is important. Of course each and every  one of us needs to make a choice. Its been said before but worth saying again.

What ever you decide, make it clear to your family that is your wish.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

I am opting out.

paul

I used to work in that business, arranging transport, air and road, for patients and organs. It always seemed to happen at night and sometimes got very tense due to the time limits. On the last job I organised we sent a harvester team from London to Bristol to get a heart and lung for a two year old. The two pilots did a fantastic job getting them back from Bristol in really awful weather and they arrived at the hospital in the nick of time. The operation to transplant into the 2 year old started with about 45 seconds to spare. When the transplant co-ordinator rang me to say they had started I had a rum to celebrate. After a few I started thinking about the people who had lost a baby.

My son was 2 at the time., that was my last time and I've never drunk rum since :(