Pubs To Reopen Sooner

Poppy

Thanks for posting Poppy. 

Personally I can't wait to get back in the pub. 

BUT - I want to feel safe and not put others at risk, so I have mixed feelings about this. 

I certainly won't be rushing to frequent Mr Martin's establishments. 

I've been living on bottled Mallinsons although Carol has sampled the Grain drive through and got hold of some Humpty Dumpty. I'm not jealous of course :default_icon_liar:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing for sure  believe me.Catering ,pubs restaurants  have been hit hard.I've posted elsewhere. I may be out of a job.It is a difficult balance between re starting my business  and the health  of the public and staff.I think contract catering, which is what I do. It will take perhaps  years to recover. 

1 hour ago, Poppy said:

Isn't it convenient how the virus adjusts its potency to suit economic considerations?

It is my suspicion (just a suspicion mind) that someone has worked out that the economic condition of this country, is every bit as important as the health of the people in it.

There is something which I believe is called "The acceptable level of death". This can be proven by traffic laws, notably road speed limits.

When there was a fuel shortage back in the 70s, the national speed limit was reduced to 50mph. Not only was a vast amount of fuel saved, but deaths on the roads plummeted. As the fuel shortage fell away, the speed limits returned to 70 on motorways and moved to 60 on duel carriageways. single carriageways remained at 50. Duel carriageways were later raised to 70 in line with motorways. Deaths on the roads returned to pretty near normal levels.

We now find parliament being pressurized to raise the speed limit on motorways to 80. The excuse given is that cars have improved. Sadly the drivers have not, but I'm sure when  that limit is raised so will the death toll.... and nobody will say a word.

It's not parliament who has this "acceptable level" it's the general public. It's not parliament, who is ignoring social distancing, it's the demonstrators sun bathers band park users, all proving that they are prepared to tolerate the "Acceptable level of death" as long as it's someone elses! If it were not acceptable, the public wouldn't do it.... or perhaps they would, and just blame "Government" 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Pretty much agree with you again MM, I suspect though that the "demonstrators sun bathers band park users" etc dont realise they are exercising an acceptable level of death toll, they simply feel entitled to do as they wish, they also blame government for everything and anything as a matter of course because it absolves them from personal responsibility.... for anything!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I'm sure there are many issues behind the scenes impacting when this and that will be deemed acceptable. I was not surprised to see Horse Racing become the first elite sport to resume, albeit behind closed doors. It's called lobbying and it's big business. 

I can imagine the scene at 10DS ....

Switchboard: Hello, Number 10 Downing Street.

Queen:            Hello, One wishes to speak to One's Prime Minister.

Switchboard: Who shall I say is calling?

Queen:            We are Her Majesty.

PPS:                Prime Minister, the palace on the telephone sir.

Boris:              Is it ... you know

PPS:                Her Majesty, yes Prime Minister

Boris:              Put it through, quickly man!

Boris:              Your Majesty.

Queen:           Hello Margaret, is that you?

Boris:             No Your Majesty, it's Mr Johnson, your Prime Minister, how may I serve

Queen:          I've had Khan on the telephone

Boris:            Sadiq?

Queen:         Who?

Boris:           Sadiq Khan m'am, the Mayor of London

Queen:        No, Aga, lives in the desert, lots of race horses. Reckons this lock down is costing him millions, wants to know when we can get back to it. His vet assures him that the horses can't catch COVID-19, so surely we can hold a few races, get down to Epsom and Ascot maybe. 

Boris:           But m'am, we are in the grips of a global pandemic, we are only doing what we are to protect the public. I mean, what about the jockeys?

Queen:        That's no problem, One is assured that there are plenty of spares. Perhaps a few races at Royal Ascot?

Boris:          A few, how many?

Queen:       36 should do it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BBC Newsreader: And now for the sport. The government has given the go ahead for 36 races to be held over five days at a rescheduled Royal Asoct meeting next week .......

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

Lol Paul

Ive caught the snooker, how the players perform so differently in comparison to when theres an audience. Even the ref got his scores in a twist yesterday when he realised the score didn’t add up and had to pause the game whilst he checked with the someone only to conclude without watching the game so far, would the players be happy to accept and carry on etc.... gross miscueduct!

Might catch on though, once people get used to the new world!

1 hour ago, Bytheriver said:

Wonder if the Berney Arms will have their shiny new Premises Licence by then from Broadland District Council

If its still in the hands of the same owner very unlikely I suspect. 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

It's called lobbying and it's big business.

Nail and head I think! 

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

It was spot on when John and Tracy ran it and Chris Shepherd too. Things went downhill when they left. It's still with the same landlord so I won't hold my breath. 

I think it is the only pub where I have ever resorted to having a soft drink.

Tried a bitter that was no good. Tried a lager that was worse. So resorted to blackcurrant cordial and soda water and somehow that wasn't great :default_blink:

Thankfully the tide saved us at that point and we moved on.:default_biggrin:

• Like 1

Nice they're still around Ian. 

but not hopeful it will be a success. Hope I'm wrong.

If it stays with the current owner I very much doubt it. Which would suit them. 

John and Tracy actually did well apart from the millstone round their necks eg landlord and rent. I believe they were paying twice as much as the Locks (different landlord obviously) 

Manger greedy dog (not necessarily in the right order) :default_norty:

Just making sure I've got this right.

Owner not a nice chap. He is trying to prove the business is unviable to get his own way and close the pub.

We are nice chaps. We will not use his pub while he owns it. We want it viable so it stays open.

Am I missing something here?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Just making sure I've got this right.

Owner not a nice chap. He is trying to prove the business is unviable to get his own way and close the pub.

We are nice chaps. We will not use his pub while he owns it. We want it viable so it stays open.

Am I missing something here?

I think you missed the whole of Series 2, in which Dirty Den returned from 'That London' with ideas above his station.... Stay tuned!

Got to say that I really don't understand the bloke. If someone actually makes a profit then the rent just goes up and up so little or no incentive to move forward. Regretfully he owns several properties including pubs and a boatyard, wouldn't want him as my landlord.

• Like 2