Simple Pleasures

As we're coming out of lockdown. It seems that some expect everything to open now.As someone who's been shielding for three months, I'm happy to go outside for a walk once a day.The numbers of infections are still high.We still have to take care.looking at beaches yesterday no social  distancing. I like many look forward to a pint and a meal a trip on the boat and just a bit more freedom. This chest infection is a worry,they would have taken me to hospital  but made it clear with a cough, high temperature and poor breathing. I would  have been in a covad ward,and that may have been game over.

We have all made so many changes to our lives,which none of us thought wouldn't happen.We will get there but little steps.whos knows in the not to distant future you may see me Marina and Sweetkingfisher on the river and I may buy you a pint.Not all at once I dont have that much money. Enjoy the sun ,stay safe

Ian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

when you look at the figures  it doesnt look too bad though, compared to the population of the uk, yesterdays 660 new cases is 1 in 100,000 of the population, of course it could be the first person you meet, but the risks are a lot lower than they have been and you have to also consider that the covid death rate is down to the region of 1% of the normal daily death rate from all causes.

They were taking about that on breakfast. Seems they will be doing  some social distancing. Not sure how that would  work. Also they've said they be kept  in isolation, some teams are doing  that now.England and the West indies for example. Will.be cost with the record in strictly. Each year some end the series with a different  partner.

Ian - I know you are alarmed at the beaches but you just cannot tell from those pictures how close people are! And do you really trust the papers to have actually sent photographers to the actual beaches and not to have used generic pictures? The cynic in me says those pictures may not display the whole truth!!!!

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, grendel said:

when you look at the figures  it doesnt look too bad though, compared to the population of the uk, yesterdays 660 new cases is 1 in 100,000 of the population, of course it could be the first person you meet, but the risks are a lot lower than they have been and you have to also consider that the covid death rate is down to the region of 1% of the normal daily death rate from all causes.

Forget face masks, buy a stab jacket, more chance of getting stabbed now!

Its still a case of being careful, but the current risk is a lot lower that it has been for a while, the last couple of days the published death rate has risen, from a few days ago, but part of that is down to historic data that had not previously been included being lumped onto the current days data, for the 22nd the death rate jumped from 15 to 220, but 160 of those new deaths were from previous months.

41 minutes ago, marshman said:

Ian - I know you are alarmed at the beaches but you just cannot tell from those pictures how close people are! And do you really trust the papers to have actually sent photographers to the actual beaches and not to have used generic pictures? The cynic in me says those pictures may not display the whole truth!!!!

Agree Marshman There was the case of two photo's on faceache, someone put on showing people sitting on a wall. First one because of the depth of field of the shot, looked like they were all sat next to each other, but from angle two metres sideways, they were actually sitting at least 3 metres apart.

The camera does lie.

• Like 1

The reason for my post is simply I am starting  to enjoy some freedom and look forward  to more in time.Sorry but at this time it still has to be done slowly. The world has changed  dramatically in the last six months.

Is it wise to sit on a beach with thousands of others.I think not.

Is it wise to demonstrate and or root on mass I think not.

Are the numbers of infections and deaths high compared to a population of 60 million plus no

However  theres not a cure for covad- 19 and is extremely serious if you get it.

Yes it appears not to like hot weather,but many countries with high levels of infection and deaths are in hot countries. 

Believe  I am still trying  to get rid of a chest infection. Which is worrying with at least four symptoms of covad.

Let's walk before  we can run.

I accept the numbers are going in a right direction, we,ve made so many sacrifices. If we're careful and just be sensible soon life will be better.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

If we're careful and just be sensible soon life will be better.

Absolutely right Ian and I think most of us (certainly most forum members anyway) take that view. I believe we can get out and about, even in shops etc, without getting into harm’s way. It just takes more thought than usual - and it’s something we are going to have to live with for the foreseeable I believe. 

• Thanks 1

If you don't feel comfortable on the beach, in a pub or in any other situation, then stay away. No-one is forcing anyone to go there. The fact is that for anyone under 45 and in normal health, the risk from Cov-19 is minimal. The youngsters should be getting on with life, spending their cash and getting the economy going again. If they don't, the risk to society as a whole from the resulting deep recession and the austerity which will follow will be far greater. Older folks are at greater risk and therefore need to be slightly more circumspect. Those with serious health issues obviously need to be very much more careful. 

• Like 4

Ian - no one is arguing with you and we are pleased you are looking forward to getting out and about but its all a sense of perspective! You state that Covid19 is "..extremely serious if you get it.." but perhaps it would be nearer the truth if you prefaced that remark with "can".

Indeed there is plenty of evidence that lots of people show no symptoms and of the remainder only a small proportion are even hospitalised - this is not meant to downplay it at all but if this whole episode illustrates anything, it is how as a community we have forgotten how to assess risk. It starts as we step out of bed every morning and it will not go away but somewhere along the line we have to be able to accurately assess risk or we will never go out at all, let alone work!!! At this moment in time, many people are not assessing risk correctly and need to relearn that ability I am fraid!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I agree sadly any way you cut it it has changed  all ours lives.Yesterday at the hospital very strange. Midday today my phone meeting with my boss and may be out of a job.Only 20 % of us being kept. I think we are almost there,just dont take unnecessary risks. As I said even before  this wouldn't go on z packed beach 

56 minutes ago, marshman said:

Ian - no one is arguing with you and we are pleased you are looking forward to getting out and about but its all a sense of perspective! You state that Covid19 is "..extremely serious if you get it.." but perhaps it would be nearer the truth if you prefaced that remark with "can".

Indeed there is plenty of evidence that lots of people show no symptoms and of the remainder only a small proportion are even hospitalised - this is not meant to downplay it at all but if this whole episode illustrates anything, it is how as a community we have forgotten how to assess risk. It starts as we step out of bed every morning and it will not go away but somewhere along the line we have to be able to accurately assess risk or we will never go out at all, let alone work!!! At this moment in time, many people are not assessing risk correctly and need to relearn that ability I am fraid!!

Agree entirely Marshy.  We have as a society never been very good at judging risk and responding appropriately. I believe that the problem has worsened over the last 20 years or so as well.  I guess a large part of this can be laid at the door of the tabloid bottom wipes masquerading as Newspapers !

We also seem to have lost the ability to take personal responsibility for our own actions!

I don’t have to go to a pub or restaurant from the 4th July just because it is open but if i do it’s my choice and my decision.

Due onboard Thunder in a month. I am perfectly happy to make my own decisions on where to moor and go and take any mitigating actions I see fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

• Like 6

A lot of the ability to judge risk has been washed away from the younger generation, with the nanny state judging what risks are or are not acceptable, when I was younger I made a decision, if it was the wrong one and i got hurt I accepted that I had messed up and learned not to do it again, yet so much is not allowed now that the ability to learn from mistakes and judge risks is becoming a dying art. 

I have also through work been lucky enough to do a course with the health and safety executive to assess risk assessments, this means I can read through a risk assessment and check to see that all of the aspects of the risks have been taken into account, you would be stunned by the number of risk assessments that miss the obvious, for example a risk assessment made for carrying something that states you will carry this with both hands at all times, but doesnt factor in the 3 doorways that have to be opened with one hand while you hold the item with the other two. the course teaches you to see the risk in the ordinary as well as the risk from other factors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

. . . . . . . However  theres not a cure for covad- 19 and is extremely serious if you get it. . . . . .

I accept the numbers are going in a right direction, we,ve made so many sacrifices. If we're careful and just be sensible soon life will be better.

Ian, you’re correct in that there is no cure for Covid-19 and there may well never be.  Remember that there is still no cure for the common cold.  But it need not be serious.  Both the wife and I believe that we’ve had the virus.  We couldn’t get tested, but the symptoms we both had were coughs, temperatures, headaches, fatigue and in my case, a loss of my sense of taste.  I’m 64, so not at risk, but getting on a bit.

More folk have survived than died from this and I do not wish to make light of the numbers, but I am sure that many of the recorded deaths at the moment are being attributed to Covid, because the medical staff do not have time to thoroughly investigate each case individually.  
Things may never return to how they were, there may never be an effective vaccine.  We could alll shield from this for a year and die of something else the next day.  Some sensibility needs to be applied here and a measured  relaxation of the lockdown is allegedly happening.  
At the end of the day, the choice of how you approach this is yours and I fully understand that you have underlying health issues.  When the cold weather returns in the winter, the whole situation may start again.  Who knows?
What I do know is that I will take the necessary precautions and get on with my life while I’m still here.

• Like 2