Hello – What Is The Perfect Broads Boat?

Of the boats that Richardsons have for sale at the moment I think the Alpha 35 centre cockpit would be my choice.

They offer a huge amount of accommodation for the size of the boat and the raised cockpit and driving position gives better views over the reeds but still low enough air draft to get under the bridges.

No price on it yet though so not sure if it will be in your budget. These boats are popular and do hold their money well.

As for the perfect boat there is no such thing, they are all a compromise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cal said:

Of the boats that Richardsons have for sale at the moment I think the Alpha 35 centre cockpit would be my choice.

They offer a huge amount of accommodation for the size of the boat and the raised cockpit and driving position gives better views over the reeds but still low enough air draft to get under the bridges.

No price on it yet though so not sure if it will be in your budget. These boats are popular and do hold their money well.

That's what I'd go for when the lottery comes up. Wonder why no prices? They always used to include them. Most of Richardsons second hand boats seem to be sub 40k. Advantage of an ex hire boat is it will have been serviced regularly. 

11 hours ago, Ray said:

When we started looking the one type of boat I knew I didn't want was an all on one level, forward helm... which turned out to be ideal

Ray, your boat journey is exactly where our thinking has gone - we started looking at smaller Vikings and Shetlands before realising that they really wouldn't work for us.  Then at e.g. Safaris and Sheerline 21/24s, which are tempting in terms of purchase price. But I suspect the 'value for money' will come from having a boat that we really enjoy being on and use a lot, which probably means having more space and the capacity to take friends and family with us. I also started this process saying that the last thing we wanted was a floating bus, but have come around to appreciate their advantages (and charms!)! 

Broom Skippers - thanks for this suggestion - I had discounted as thought wouldn't get through the lower bridges but good to know that's not the case (PH excepted, which is ok). Better visibility would of course be great. I know there's a trade-off in terms of driving position and am generally willing to take the trade off - I like looking at reeds! I also like the sociable driving/relaxing space in forward drives. But recognise that visibility is likely to be the main dissatisfaction with a boat like this, and that it is also likely to make solo-use much harder.  As you all say, it's all about compromise and deciding which compromises are acceptable. 

Alpha 35 centre - really helpful to get this recommendation but I think 35ft is just too big for us.  I did have a look around Richardsons yard at the weekend and don't think there is anything in the boats now listed that we will go for.  

To summarise, some boats that we would be seriously interested in (if they are in budget obviously) include: 

- Calypso 28

- Bounty 28 or DC 30 (the DC30 was on our list already - how do they hold their value?)

- Centre cockpit Alphas - does anyone have an Alpha 32 or views on that? 

- Broom Skipper or Broom 30

Coronavirus is an obvious complicating factor - in normal times we would go and see as many boats as possible and would happily have travelled away from Norfolk to view and find the right boat.  In current times that's not an option so we will only be viewing boats that we would seriously consider buying.  I am very conscious of Marshman's warning about the current market and lack of choice. If we need to wait a few months or even till next year for the right boat that's ok. That said, we are ready to jump whenever we find a good buy. 

14 hours ago, marshman said:

I would not go into the market at the moment - NYA have sold so many boats that they have very little left and are resorting to putting even some of the older boats on their main sales pontoon. Don't be sucked in to paying premium prices and wait a bit until things have quietened down a bit - its not just the cost at the moment but lack of choice!l

I will continue reading the forum though probably won't post as I don't have much to contribute at the moment!  Please do PM me if you know of any 'good honest boats' of the types we've discussed that will be coming up for sale.  And I will definitely update when we have a purchase! 

Genuinely thanks for such great recommendations and advice. I think with your help we can avoid joining the 3 boats-in-a-year club!

:default_sailing: :default_sailing: :default_sailing:

• Like 1

Just had a look at the Richardsons Boat Sales page, it looks like they are selling a lot of boats at the moment.

I would be interested to know how much Broadland Breeze will cost. A Bourne 35 I think? I like that layout and the sliding roof. Whenever I have hired from Richardsons they always seem well looked after and the older boats have often been refitted with a new engine and new flooring and upholstery.

4 hours ago, Cal said:

3 hours ago, boatsboatsboats said:

Ray, your boat journey is exactly where our thinking has gone - we started looking at smaller Vikings and Shetlands before realising that they really wouldn't work for us.  Then at e.g. Safaris and Sheerline 21/24s, which are tempting in terms of purchase price. But I suspect the 'value for money' will come from having a boat that we really enjoy being on and use a lot, which probably means having more space and the capacity to take friends and family with us. I also started this process saying that the last thing we wanted was a floating bus, but have come around to appreciate their advantages (and charms!)! 

Broom Skippers - thanks for this suggestion - I had discounted as thought wouldn't get through the lower bridges but good to know that's not the case (PH excepted, which is ok). Better visibility would of course be great. I know there's a trade-off in terms of driving position and am generally willing to take the trade off - I like looking at reeds! I also like the sociable driving/relaxing space in forward drives. But recognise that visibility is likely to be the main dissatisfaction with a boat like this, and that it is also likely to make solo-use much harder.  As you all say, it's all about compromise and deciding which compromises are acceptable. 

Alpha 35 centre - really helpful to get this recommendation but I think 35ft is just too big for us.  I did have a look around Richardsons yard at the weekend and don't think there is anything in the boats now listed that we will go for.  

To summarise, some boats that we would be seriously interested in (if they are in budget obviously) include: 

- Calypso 28

- Bounty 28 or DC 30 (the DC30 was on our list already - how do they hold their value?)

Coronavirus is an obvious complicating factor - in normal times we would go and see as many boats as possible and would happily have travelled away from Norfolk to view and find the right boat.  In current times that's not an option so we will only be viewing boats that we would seriously consider buying.  I am very conscious of Marshman's warning about the current market and lack of choice. If we need to wait a few months or even till next year for the right boat that's ok. That said, we are ready to jump whenever we find a good buy. 

I will continue reading the forum though probably won't post as I don't have much to contribute at the moment!  Please do PM me if you know of any 'good honest boats' of the types we've discussed that will be coming up for sale.  And I will definitely update when we have a purchase! 

Genuinely thanks for such great recommendations and advice. I think with your help we can avoid joining the 3 boats-in-a-year club!

I wouldn't discount the Alpha 35 purely on size. When we hired Viscount from Richardsons we found it to be very easy to handle with the two of us. Viscount had the saloon at the rear and the second bedroom in the middle which I think would be my preferred layout over the bedroom at the rear.

As I said previously the ideal boat just doesn't exist. We have had Naughty-Cal for 13 years now and while she ticks the boxes in a lot of ways there are downsides as well.

As luck would have it I heard today of a Broom 30 with duel steering, bow thruster, Perkins engine. Looks tidy enough from the outside. believe present owners have owned for sometime and it`s not yet offically on the market plus asking price is within your budget.

Contact Paul at Swancraft for details.

• Like 1

Fantastic - many thanks @OldBerkshireBoy that's a great tip and I will follow it up.  It sounds like a solid prospect. 

What are people's thoughts on Perkins vs BMC?  Or the old diesel engines vs the new e.g. Nanni?  And where is the engine positioned in the Broom 30?  If under the helm, are there any issues with engine noise?       

Thanks again! 

18 minutes ago, boatsboatsboats said:

Fantastic - many thanks @OldBerkshireBoy that's a great tip and I will follow it up.  It sounds like a solid prospect. 

What are people's thoughts on Perkins vs BMC?  Or the old diesel engines vs the new e.g. Nanni?  And where is the engine positioned in the Broom 30?  If under the helm, are there any issues with engine noise?       

Thanks again! 

Having hired boats with BMC's, Perkins, Barrus and Nanni, I can say that the one we much prefer is the Nanni. It is quieter and smoother and runs on fresh air.

17 minutes ago, Cal said:

Having hired boats with BMC's, Perkins, Barrus and Nanni, I can say that the one we much prefer is the Nanni. It is quieter and smoother and runs on fresh air.

On the flip side Nanni parts are expensive, need enough and people buy new engines instead plus finding a solid boat with a Nanni at the budget?

1 hour ago, oldgregg said:

A centre cockpit is the ideal boat for the Broads really, but remember a dual steer Broom Skipper will have a fixed roof so you lose the benefits of being able to get under bridges.

The Broom Skipper has a canvas roof and fold down sides, the Broom 30 is the same boat but with a fixed roof and some dual steering as oldgregg rightly says, this version will be more limited for getting under bridges.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Davydine said:

The Broom Skipper has a canvas roof and fold down sides, the Broom 30 is the same boat but with a fixed roof and some dual steering as oldgregg rightly says, this version will be more limited for getting under bridges.

16346BF4-05C5-46CF-8E68-3CBDEAC0F962.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Cal said:

I put this to an ex fleet owner and his response was that in his experiance the mpg difference is minimal and more of a myth, and regarding the noise level you are comparing Apples and Oranges unless the engine horse power and the drives are the same. 

• Like 2

I hired a cc Alpha from the same operator. 

Had a Beta engine directly under the helm floor and ran like a sewing machine. 

I would agree, depends on a whole host of factors.,

I think hydraulic drives are a bit more thirsty though. 

9 hours ago, boatsboatsboats said:

- Calypso 28

I have Alpha 35 32s for sale like hens teeth   

The perfect boat for you will not be for someone else.

The perfect boat is-

Cheaper than you want to spend.

Costs less to run than you hoped for.

Is cheaper to more in your ideal marina.

Never has a fault.

Moors like a dream.

If you find that boat.

You then have another problem....

Where to stable unicorn that comes with it!

Go do some fender kicking the right boat will probably choose you, don't just look at the broads the cost of transport can be less than Broads premium.

paul

• Like 2