Hello – What Is The Perfect Broads Boat?

Hello everyone :default_icon_wave:

I’m new to the forum but not to the Broads.  I’ve been spending quite a bit of time recently reading this forum and planning the perfect boat. I think I’ve narrowed down what we are looking for but would love any advice from the knowledgeable people here.  I’ve put our wish-list and wants below and would be so interested to hear any thoughts or comments!

What we want – the essentials

-   Budget up to 25k, preferably less

-   32ft max, ideally less

-   Inboard diesel engine

-  Good outdoor/open lounging space 

-  Comfortable for a couple and two dogs. We live locally and will use it mostly for weekends so don’t need huge amounts of space for long trips, but it would be nice to have some room for friends and family and for longer trips here and there.   

-  Built for the Broads – we will only be using it on the Broads and want to be able to access as much as possible. PH bridge isn’t essential but would be nice, for example. Sea capabilities not needed.

- Modernised - it doesn't have to be a shiny recent refit but definitely not a project or major works needed    

The rest:

- Easy to manage for dogs, particularly a daft spaniel with a death wish (I think this probably rules out most aft cockpit layouts and favours a single-level design?)

- Separate cabin space. Not open plan sleeping/dining

- Good for most-of-year use (not sure what this suggests – single level/forward drive for a warmer driving position, or split level for warmer living space?)

- Possible for solo use (not sure how essential this is but it would be nice to have the flexibility and possibility for one of us to use it even if the other is busy)

- Ideally something that holds its value – we’re not expecting boat ownership to make us money and are budgeting around £3600 a year for ongoing costs. But the purchase is going to be a big chunk of cash and we’d hope to buy something that will hold at least some of its value after a few years.  Recognising that the market is not predictable and these are particularly odd times and so on, are there any “best broads buys” that always attract interest and are a relatively safer investment? 

Which boat to buy? 

After much consideration I think we are probably looking for a bathtub style with sliding canopy, either centre cockpit or front cockpit. In fact, the ideal seems to be an Aquafibre Opal 28, which ticks every box except one - the budget! Are there Opal-esque models around that are cheaper?  A Hampton Safari fits quite a lot of our criteria, particularly in terms of being a fairly “safe” buy but I think it is probably a little bit too small, and I would ideally like fore and aft well access (which the Safari doesn’t have). 

I’ve considered loads of different makers and classes but would love to get unbiased opinions so won’t mention any of those that I’ve rejected in case I’ve been too hasty.  

Anyway, many thanks if you have read this far.  Any thoughts would be very welcome. 

TL;DR: what is the best Broads boat for £25k or less?!

Welcome to the forum BBB, 

Have you looked at Calypsos,  they would be with in your budget,  some shabby ones about but also some very nice examples. I had one for a number of years and enjoyed it a lot. 

Not many left with the original gel coat so you would need to budget for a repaint in the future. 

It lost 3k over 7 years ownership. 

Have a wander around the brokers yards and see what suits you. 

The Hamptons may prove to be too small, we were close to buying one but went for the more spacious Calypso. 

17 minutes ago, boatsboatsboats said:

Comfortable for a couple and two dogs. We live locally and will use it mostly for weekends so don’t need huge amounts of space for long trips, but it would be nice to have some room for friends and family and for longer trips here and there.  

I have picked that one aspect as, over the years, I have read many comments such as ‘wish we had bought a bigger boat to begin with’. Once you start using a boat, you tend to fill all the space available with a lot of gear you didn’t know you needed! Two dogs can get under your feet in too small a space, even small dogs - I know, I have two! Whatever, good luck with your search and do let us know how you get on. :default_stinky:

Oh, and welcome to the forum too!

Wow, thanks all for the fast responses, I didn't expect that!  Really helpful advice already, particularly good to hear @psychicsurveyor that your Calypso was a good investment, I will look at them more closely.  Is that the Calypso 28? 

And it's very helpful to be reminded that you always fill the space you've got, whether it's boats, houses, garages or greenhouses. I aspire to minimalism but the reality is rather different. One of the appealing things about broads cruisers (no offence @JennyMorgan I do appreciate the beauty of yachts!) is that we can potentially get a lot of space so probably should recognise that we need room for the clutter and plan accordingly.   

Really, thanks so much for the responses.  Much appreciated. 

• Like 1

Thanks for that Hampton link - I've been stalking all the agency sites but actually hadn't noticed that the MKIII has a forward well.  It might be worth a look. There's obviously a trade off between saving money on purchase by getting something smaller or spending a bit more at the outset but at a size / condition where we will want to hang on to it for longer.  

Well you picked well !!!!  The Opal 28 or its many different variations is probably the MOST desirable boat on the Broads and it holds its value very well, indeed actually appreciating which is why when they do come on the market, they are expensive and don't hang around!

I would not go into the market at the moment - NYA have sold so many boats that they have very little left and are resorting to putting even some of the older boats on their main sales pontoon. Don't be sucked in to paying premium prices and wait a bit until things have quietened down a bit - its not just the cost at the moment but lack of choice!l

Don't necessarily be put off by what you have appeared to have already have discounted!  For example whilst it would not be my first choice, I think I could even put up with an aft cockpit  cruiser - of these the Freeman 27 are old but they have an excellent reputation.

So if I were you, I would not be hurried but look at all boats in or around your budget; you might be surprised what boats you may have already discounted, have to offer!!! There is a compromise everywhere and in every boat!

P.S. the Alpha looks ok but so it should -  at double your budget!!!

• Like 1

Again, thanks so much for your comments everyone - 

Jemaki - looks beautiful, a lovely choice. I hope you enjoy her. I have also been looking at various Alphacraft models, though 34ft is more than we can afford sadly.

OBB - thanks, the Richardsons site must have been recently updated, they weren't on last time i looked. I had initially thought something like a Bounty 27 (Quest) would be a good choice for us but after thinking through our priorities I think we want the more spacious interior of the single-level design. From those listed Serene Gem would be the only contender I think and the price seems perhaps a bit high?  I know it's been debated here before and I can see both pros and cons of ex-hire - does anyone have any particular insight into Richardsons sales?  Is there any room for negotiation on prices?  

MM - yes, I take your point about a heated market and empty agencies (maybe people are stockpiling boats). We are definitely prepared to wait rather than jump at the wrong thing. On the other hand, I'm trying to really think through what we do want so that we can recognise the right thing (and right price) when it comes along.  I have not totally discounted anything yet, and certainly prefer the looks of something like a Freeman 27 or Fairline 29. But I'm increasingly coming round to the view that the interior space of the bathtubs would be easier and more convenient to live with.  Am happy to be persuaded otherwise though!   

2 minutes ago, boatsboatsboats said:

Oh - and Marshman, your comment about the Opal reminds me - is there any clear reason why Aquafibre are so much more desirable and expensive than e.g. Alphacraft for similar vintage and size boats? 

Build quality; people have far fewer problems with the layup of Aquafibre mouldings than Alphas.

Obviously there are good Alphas and bad Aquafibres, though.

• Like 2

And another point, if I may (while you are all being so generous with your time and thoughts!) - which design of boat is better for all-season use?  I imagine that many of the single-level designs are rather cold and draughty in the winter with all the windows.  Are there specific improvements to window fittings etc that can help that that I should be looking for? Or just check that everything fits snugly and seals are all in good condition? 

2 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

Build quality; people have far fewer problems with the layup of Aquafibre mouldings than Alphas.

Thanks - are there particular models or eras of production at Alpha that were better quality? Or can that only be determined on a boat-by-boat case? (Obviously I'd get an independent survey before committing to a purchase but just wondering for more general interest really)  

Norfolk Boat Sales have an ex hire Sheerline 24 for about your budget:

https://www.norfolkboatsales.co.uk/used-boats/sheerline-24-brink-of-peace-2-608.asp

Similar to the Opal, but smaller, otherwise perhaps look for a Bounty 28, if you can find one.  I still like the Broom 30, of which there are a few on the market at the moment:

https://www.nya.co.uk/boats-for-sale/broom-30-8/

A little over budget, but it’s been on the market for a few months and a deal may be considered.

12 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

otherwise perhaps look for a Bounty 28, if you can find one.

By handy coincidence...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Broads-cruiser-river-boat-28ft-Bounty-Buccaneer-GRP/293630006136?hash=item445db65378:g:2r4AAOSwwQ1e-H-6

I quite like the Bounty 28 but I have no actual basis for that opinion other than I think they look quite good...;)

55 minutes ago, boatsboatsboats said:

And another point, if I may (while you are all being so generous with your time and thoughts!) - which design of boat is better for all-season use?  I imagine that many of the single-level designs are rather cold and draughty in the winter with all the windows.  Are there specific improvements to window fittings etc that can help that that I should be looking for? Or just check that everything fits snugly and seals are all in good condition? 

It tends to be the sliding canopy models that are really prone to drafts but you can mitigate this by having covers made up to seal the gaps around the canopy which press stud on and can easily be removed to allow the roof to open.

You do need to be careful not to eliminate any ventilation that is needed to support life however! Particularly important when you have gas appliances etc

• Like 2

Welcome!

It took me 3 boats to get it right (and I'm not alone) in one year! 😀

No.1 A very small aft cockpit boat with petrol outboard. Nothing about it suited us and it was terrible for the dog.

No. 2 Hampton Safari MkIII (with the forward well) Really loved this boat and miss it in an affectionate way. All one level meant perfect for the dog and for knees that are beginning to creak a bit these days. We're also local and the plan was days out and the odd overnighter. But we caught the Broads Bug well and truly and wanted to go out for a week or two at a time. Needed more space for that so along came boat...

No. 3 This is an older style Bounty DC30, all one level, tons of room, bow and stern wells, easy to handle, opens up a lot in good weather and closes down warm and cosy to cruise in normal weather... I mean cold and wet weather. Was great for dog at first (her health and mobility suffered and she is sadly gone now)

The trade off is the low helm position, some don't like it as they say all you see is reeds! There is a grain of truth in this but there is plenty to see in reality and sharing the helm means you never really miss anything! But if you don't like it then it will take the edge off your enjoyment.

I believe that there are still the more recent,all GRP, Bounty 30s around but I don't know of any for sale at the moment, many will probably need a bit of tidying up. I think the style of boat rather than the specific model is what I'm getting at here.

When we started looking the one type of boat I knew I didn't want was an all on one level, forward helm... which turned out to be ideal, so my recommendation is not necessarily this type of boat but to try out as many styles as you can before deciding.

Good luck! 👍

• Like 2

Everyone will have a different view if perfect, but personally I like a centre cockpit as I like sitting up high and I think it is easier to steer from the middle of the boat. I would look at a Broom skipper. I Think it ticks most of your boxes. 

This one on ebay is on the Lancaster canal. It looks a bit ”original” but is a good price and Given your budget it would leave some money for improvements...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Broom-30-Skipper-Wide-Beam-Boat-/324215093316?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

In good condition they go for quite a lot more, so ticks the “holds its value” box...

https://www.boatshed.com/dosearch.php?bq={}&q=Broom Skipper

Good luck with finding the right boat!

• Like 1

We love our Broom Skipper.  Best of both worlds in that you get the height in the helm for views and then the sides fold down to get under low bridges. We've been told by the bridge pilot we could get under Potter on a good day but I don't think my pacemaker could take that stress!    With every boat there is always a compromise. 

Yes, we are also part of the three boats in a year club like Ray. Advice is look at as many boats as you can to see the pros and cons. 

• Like 1