Double Mooring Without Permission

Broads01

I have rafted up with fellow yacht and boat owners that I know, but walk ( sail ? )  in absolute terror of getting pinned to the bank by a slab sided hire boat who's helm I do not know personally or their boat handling skill set.

Yachts are not as tough as hire boats

28 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

This topic has come up in the past on this, and on at least one other forum. It caused strong feelings to be aired, not always in a manner conducive to good fellowship. 

I find myself wondering why it has raised it's head again!

I guess it's just one of those things with no exact simple answer.

I do take your point about good fellowship though. We tend to give our opinion without nuance so to fill out my answer... If asked I wouldn't decline a request to tie alongside, I would help with ropes and have a chat with my new temporary neighbours in good grace, but I wouldn't be as relaxed and enjoying the mooring as much as if they weren't there. Just like Lulu we like to enjoy the view.

I'm also anti social! ☺️

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Lulu said:

The delight of boating for us is to have a nice view especially in the evening. We rarely stern moor as i feel hemmed in and want peace and quiet.   We moor up early and leave early in the morning so it would be a nuisance for the people mooring up beside us when we need them to move.   Ok, Im just anti social! 

Not anti-social at all, my own position is that unless invited to by close friends I have never tried to double moor and other than an extreme emergency never would, if I cannot get into a mooring I simply go somewhere else.

Against that when it comes to allowing others then it is my decision to make not theirs, I have on occasion allowed others for a short period of time to go to a shop  or pick up and drop of friends or in the case of day boats to get to a toilet, that for me is not a problem, when it comes to extended times overnight or all day on the couple of occasions I did allow it I came to regret it, not only did it prevent myself from fishing etc. on each occasion one of which was a yacht and twice with hire cruisers we ended up with people constantly back and forth even after we were in bed and not only rocking the boat but knocking the TV Ariel each time and leaving the back of my boat a total mess with footmarks etc so no I don`t allow it anymore.

Sadly we now live in times where there is a growing I  am attitude where some seem to think they are entitled to do whatever they like with little respect for other people or their property.

Fred

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

For us, it wasn't a sail vs motor thing, the marina we sailed from had both and we would often cruise in company, but there was a fraternity of the sea, if that makes sense? We always regarded the sea as a great leveller, regardless of if you were in a tired old sailing boat worth a few hundred or a shiny new boat worth a few million.

If i was moored alongside at a BA mooring which allows double mooring, I wouldn't feel that I had the right to refuse someone to moor alongside. Their mooring, their rules, as long as the boat was of a suitable size to be safe. 

In the same way, if I see a mooring space big enough for two boats I wouldn't moor in the middle and hog the whole thing, I would moor at one end so their is room for another boat.

We don't get to Norfolk often, but if you ever see us on a double mooring, no need to ask, you are welcome alongside!

• Like 4

Standard practice for harbours is to raft if told by the harbour master against the boat they tell you to but take your own shore lines to take a share of the load, it's the HM's choice not yours and they will normally take into account size/shape/weight/dogs before instructing you.

You don't generally get hire cruisers full of novices in harbours though.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Davydine said:

For us, it wasn't a sail vs motor thing, the marina we sailed from had both and we would often cruise in company, but there was a fraternity of the sea, if that makes sense? We always regarded the sea as a great leveller, regardless of if you were in a tired old sailing boat worth a few hundred or a shiny new boat worth a few million.

If i was moored alongside at a BA mooring which allows double mooring, I wouldn't feel that I had the right to refuse someone to moor alongside. Their mooring, their rules, as long as the boat was of a suitable size to be safe. 

In the same way, if I see a mooring space big enough for two boats I wouldn't moor in the middle and hog the whole thing, I would moor at one end so their is room for another boat.

We don't get to Norfolk often, but if you ever see us on a double mooring, no need to ask, you are welcome alongside!

The Sea and the Broads are two different entities with different requirements. 

As far as the BA moorings are concerned I beg to differ, firstly they manage and maintain them under an act of Parliament and within the the frame of the By-Laws laid down, while they are responsible for overseeing the By-Laws they cannot make up rules as they go along, secondly we pay for the procurement and upkeep of these moorings through the tolls and have every right to use them within the time limits etc laid down in the By-Laws, the BA didn`t have and do not have the right to suggest occupants of a boat trespass upon the property of another boat owner, the reason they backed down as Paladin has said was because they could not legally enforce double mooring.

Fred

13 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Standard practice for harbours is to raft if told by the harbour master against the boat they tell you to but take your own shore lines to take a share of the load, it's the HM's choice not yours and they will normally take into account size/shape/weight/dogs before instructing 

Exactly this, and that would be my view with a BA double mooring.

16 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

You don't generally get hire cruisers full of novices in harbours though.

Just because we had our own boat, I could still mess up mooring like the best of them!

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Nothing else better to do on a gorgeous sunny day? 

Apart, that is, from painting the inside of my rowing boat, an 18' Thames skiff, taking about an hour and a half for each coat but at least I'm sweating off all those extra 'lock-down' pounds!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davydine said:

but there was a fraternity of the sea, if that makes sense?

I think that there still is however on the Broads it is not so prevalent, or that is how it now appears to me. The 'we are all in it together' aspect does seem to have waned in recent years. 

I well remember sailing into Cowes on the Isle of Wight, seeing an available space next to another yacht, going alongside only to be welcomed by the then Prime Minister, Edward Heath, a very nice man he was too. His 'red' was a darn sight better than my Lipton's special!

Solitude is there for all, mudweight on Hickling Broad for example! I wouldn't mudweight on Breydon's mud flat's though, some one would be bound to come along wanting to rescue you.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

The Sea and the Broads are two different entities with different requirements. 

Yes and no, in my opinion, it depends on the mooring. For example, if i was looking for an evenings mooring at St.Bennets abbey and the mooring was full I would simply head somewhere else rather than try to raft up, but if I was heading to Stokesby, with a view to catching a morning tide through Gt. Yarmouth, I would feel a bit miffed if someone refused to let me moor alongside. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Davydine said:

Yes and no, in my opinion, it depends on the mooring. For example, if i was looking for an evenings mooring at St.Bennets abbey and the mooring was full I would simply head somewhere else rather than try to raft up, but if I was heading to Stokesby, with a view to catching a morning tide through Gt. Yarmouth, I would feel a bit miffed if someone refused to let me moor alongside. 

43 minutes ago, Davydine said:

Not sure why you chose this its not a good example, the moorings downstream insist on double  mooring as is their right, but you could also always carry on to Stacey as we do.

Fred

6 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

This topic has come up in the past on this, and on at least one other forum. It caused strong feelings to be aired, not always in a manner conducive to good fellowship. 

As does speeding, boat engines being run at mooring boats stuck on Breydon and of course the annual hire boat bridge strike etc etc etc. I've been visiting the broads since the mid 70s when it wasn't uncommon to find boats moored three abreast even at Gt Yarmouth. Sadly people seem less tolerant of each other today 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, andyg said:

As does speeding, boat engines being run at mooring boats stuck on Breydon and of course the annual hire boat bridge strike etc etc etc. I've been visiting the broads since the mid 70s when it wasn't uncommon to find boats moored three abreast even at Gt Yarmouth. Sadly people seem less tolerant of each other today 

Sorry its not a question of tolerance but a decline in standards, there are still a majority of people I probably wouldn't have a problem with, sadly you dont know the good from the bad till its to late and this is  even more of a  issue  once you get past a certain age.

Fred

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

That was why I wondered why the subject had been raised there being no apparent reason

Broads 01 mentioned that he had heard of recent cases where double mooring had occurred without permission being sought MM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

Not sure why you chose this its not a good example, the moorings downstream insist on double  mooring as is their right, but you could also always carry on to Stacey as we do.

Fred

Possibly not the best example, I picked them because the BA identifies both as double moorings.  I was trying to differentiate between a mooring somewhere for the pleasure of that location and mooring somewhere to facilitate a passage from A to B.

1 hour ago, Davydine said:

Possibly not the best example, I picked them because the BA identifies both as double moorings.  I was trying to differentiate between a mooring somewhere for the pleasure of that location and mooring somewhere to facilitate a passage from A to B.

I dont wish to turn this into a protracted argument but to me your reasoning has little to do with the double mooring debate, we are talking about the Broads where although not desirable its possible tides permitting you can get from anywhere to anywhere in a day, its not location critical as may well be the case with a Sea crossing. 

As for specific moorings for me they are all there for the enjoyment of that location fore whatever reason you choose them

Taking your choice of BA moorings at Stokesby, including somewhere that would accomodate 3 38' to 40' boats is  a tad optomistic at the least and to include in that the expectation that others would have to accomodate you underlines the attitude that so many object to

Fred

No need for arguments, signage in place (with alterations) makes it clear , if you do not wish to have another vessel alongside then politely decline the request .

From a personal point of view , if a polite request is made and the boat wishing to moor alongside is of a size suitable to do so then they are welcome ; if however they do not ask and assume they can just do it I would be less inclined to allow them to .

The Broads is known for its friendly atmosphere and I for one would only wish to support that belief .

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Ray said:

Broads 01 mentioned that he had heard of recent cases where double mooring had occurred without permission being sought MM

That's right. Double mooring has been discussed before but I can't recall anything around the specific issue of mooring without permission, hence why I asked if anyone had experienced it. Fortunately it's never happened to me but if it did it would be my worst nightmare. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I well remember sailing into Cowes on the Isle of Wight, seeing an available space next to another yacht, going alongside only to be welcomed by the then Prime Minister, Edward Heath, a very nice man he was too. His 'red' was a darn sight better than my Lipton's special!

The name Morning Cloud on the boat should have given you a clue! I wonder what happened to his boats.

In later years he lived in the grounds of Salisbury Cathedral, with a copper sat in in a tiny shed in the garden. I used to pass his house to get to an aunts just round the corner..