Advice On Portable Heaters Please.

Looking for advice on heaters.Sweet kingfisher doesn't have shore power.We normally power up the engine then turn on the heating.What we have been thinking is perhaps to get a heater.We do have shore power leads,from when we had our first boat,little kingfisher.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks Ian

Hello Ian,

On out of season weeks I plug in one of the lower wattage (500 or 600 watts) oil filled radiators and leave on overnight on a low level on the stat overnight, this keeps the condensation at bay. we have additional fan heaters just to keep warm and there is always the diesel heating.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I’m below in the winter I have a portable diesel heater that sits outside with ducting into the cabin. Just needs 12v supply as it’s all self contained, and I can control it from below with the remote.

totally removeable in seconds, it also serves in the workshop 

• Like 1

Hi Ian on my last boat we had a oil filled radiator that we left on overnight, we also had a fan heater for odd times,   the boat had air blown heating which took time to warm up and if left on overnight dried your mouth, only problem i see with oil fill heater is the weight,but? i don't see any problem with running a cable to the post i would suggest you tie the boat end securely too the boat in case someone catches it while on the ground wouldn't want the end being pulled into water all through rcd would give protection. John

• Thanks 1

Another vote for oil filled radiators here. My boat had three when I bought it and they were the same make but different sizes, so you could work out the smallest needed for the space. They also have two power settings and a thermostat. As others had said they are the safest but if I want quick warmth I have a cheapo Aldi fan heater which also has a thermostat but I would never leave the boat with a fan heater running, partly safety and partly cost of running.

We have a fan heater with stat and three heat setting so is very economic on electric. The low setting doesn’t seem to dry the air to much. Last thing you want is something that makes you cough.

A convector type may be a better option for you. We have a 500w one that is more than enough to heat our bedroom (cabin). We also have 12v car blanket which is great to put over your legs on cold evenings. We also use it on the the fly bridge on fresh autumn morning going up river. Second to that we also found two car seat heat pads in a charity shop which work well too.

You could also try one of the halogen type heaters but look for the the black tube ones as the ordinary ones are a bit bright.

Colin :default_beerchug:

On 19/09/2020 at 15:20, Broads01 said:

I think I'll get myself an oil filled radiator based on the advice here. If I was to get a 500 or 600 watt would I need to be on hook up or would it work OK with well charged batteries?

Never (ever ever ever, ever) run electric heating on an inverter...

I have had to explain this to so many syndicate owners!

• Thanks 1

you could always get a electric under blanket we have one each so we can have different temp, they use very little power, we switch ours on hour or so before bed and all afternoon and evening when first reaching boat after being closed up, it airs the bed nicely then lower temp setting at bed time, ours have four settings , done this on all our boats, unfortunately it's still chilly when getting out of bed first thing until central heating cuts in. John

Ian, get a fan heater, we had 2 on Zimbi and an electric blanket each (brought them home) BUT only get a heater that has auto cut off if knocked over. Lidl did a great one remote control, economical and quick but when it reached temperature it started blowing cold air, why?, I don't know.

If your batteries are in tip top condition you could fit a remote control so you can phone it from bed to warm up the boat before getting up or arriving at the boat. 

I was too tight to spend the £50 to get that when we changed the heater, still regret that.

Never mind warmth how are you?

Hope the head is recovering.

paul

When it's cold and I have no hookup I usually set the eberspacher running on an hour timer when getting the last beer (I can phone it to turn it on to timer), I have an outlet either side of the V berth and a couple of spare bits of ducting which hook on and run under the duvet, result is getting to a warm boat with a toasty aired bed, start with warm feet and you stay warm all night, I've never found it to be too big a drain on the batteries.

When the timer runs out if I'm still in the pub (oops! It happens) I'll call it again but if onboard just let it shut off as it's all warm by then.