Gas Prices And Availability?

floydraser

There was some talk about calor gas being dificult to get hold of during lock down and I wondered about the situation now? I'm really only interested in the Brundall area as I will be needing a large refill soon. Anyone know the latest prices?

I'have a spare bottle and over here I have a main calor depot not far away but if it's cheap enough I won't bother bringing it home.

If Calor returned a deposit on there canisters without you having to show the original purchase receipt they would get a lot of there unused bottles back the number you see in peoples gardens just laying around! nobody bothers while there's no reward for there trouble. John

• Like 3

1 hour ago, annv said:

If Calor returned a deposit on there canisters without you having to show the original purchase receipt they would get a lot of there unused bottles back the number you see in peoples gardens just laying around! nobody bothers while there's no reward for there trouble. John

That is a point that is difficult to argue against. I will be honest and say that I do not like Calor. Its service is perpetually poor. In previous years, we have been left without deliveries for weeks on end with no dates given, but they had already got our money. There were instances where we were waiting for delivery all day but got nothing, rang to chase only to be told that the truck had broken down (well, if it had our gas on it and you knew where we were and how to bill and contact us, why didn't you call us rather than make us wait?) 

We moved to Flogas for quite some time because the service was pants. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Polly said:

We tried to replace a propane bottle yesterday in Wroxham, nobody had any and didn’t know when a delivery would arrive.

Have you tried Norwich Camping http://www.cylex-uk.co.uk/reviews/viewcompanywebsite.aspx?firmaName=norwich+camping+%26+leisure&companyId=14523191

Or Acle Garden Machinery http://www.aclegardenmachinery.co.uk/

Also the garage at Repps sell Calor ( and the Indian take away is very good there too )

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Bit of a late update although it makes little difference under the circumstances:

I bought a refill last Tuesday from NC&L.

15kg Butane (blue) - spitting distance from my house there's a massive Calor depot, price £41.75

Norwich Camping & Leisure - spitting distance from the boat, £40.50. 

Notes: I do spit a lot. Price difference is hardly anything but given the size of the depot near here I would have expected them to be cheaper. I've checked and there are no 4.5kg bottle available over here, propane or butane.

Thanks again for the help.:default_trophy:

I changed to Flogas Butane.

When one of the bottles runs out I take it home in the car and put in the shed then order direct from Flogas and their lorry delivers in a few days to my home. Also they advise when delivery will be. It's very simple to open an online account and it saves chasing around to find a replacement whilst enjoying a break on the Broads.

I use 11kg bottles which are £33 exchanged with free delivery. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hi Everyone. 

New to the Broads in a boat which has a CampinGaz '3kg' (actually less) blue 907 cylinder only ; their refill prices used to be reasonable but are now insane, so I want to switch to something cheaper. Can anyone tell me the least expensive (I've given up hoping for 'cheapest' !) gas bottles to refill, small enough to fit into a sailing boat's stern locker, so that I can start with something which won't worry me every time I want to cook anything ! ? I've seen ways described online to refill the 907, but given the high price of refilling even the bigger bottles now, I doubt that it's worth the trouble and risk for the small saving involved. I'd be grateful for any comments and advice. Rob

The larger the cylinder you can accommodate, the cheaper the gas. If you only have a compartment that will take a 3KG, then you're stuck with that. It only really starts getting to reasonable prices at over 10kg generally and that's a big jump in bottle size. Don't forget, bottle storage has to be in a BSS approved locker whether the bottle is in use or not. 

I still have a number of full 13kg bottles if anybody needs some. 

To 'FreedomBoatingHols' ; if it's not a nuisance, could you post a description of the requirements for a gas locker, or a link to them please ? To 'BroadAmbition', Griff ; is that fiver-refill which you mentioned strictly friend-to-friend, or could you email me a way to contact the supplier (discretely !) ?