Water Levels

vanessan

33 minutes ago, SwanR said:

So we thought that we would come to the caravan this morning at Lowestoft. Really nice drive over but oh my goodness! On approach we could see that the sea level looked very high. The wind is blowing a gale. Our van is less than 50 ft from the sea wall, covered in spray and the road to the back of us is starting to flood and that’s before any rain arrives! 

Got the fire on and have warmed up with hot buttered toast and coffee but ... we have struggled to get the boiler alight as the wind kept blowing it out. Haven’t unpacked and haven’t decided whether we will stay here or head for home! 😂

If the road to the back of you is starting to flood, is there any chance of you becoming an ‘island’? :default_ohmy: Sounds like it could be an exciting (?) visit if you decide to stay.

• Haha 1

Guest Jayfire
1 hour ago, KatieR said:

It was really high a PH first thing today

First thing today a PH you say??? :35_thinking:

I was far too busy not wanting to get out of bed to notice :default_smiley-angelic002:

Guest Jayfire
4 minutes ago, KatieR said:

Ah- I know the feeling well- the patter of rain of the roof when you’re all cosy does it every time for me....no reason to get up if you don’t have too! :default_smiley-angelic002:

That's it, that's exactly what it was like in my bed this morning. All comfy warm and cosy with the rain falling on the roof. Loved it

4 minutes ago, KatieR said:

Unfortunately I had to leave early today to get back- it was just a flying visit for me this time- so I didn’t have the luxury of staying in bed later despite the temptation to do just the same! 

Well I hope you enjoyed your visit whatever you were up to. Maybe you’ll be able to stay in bed longer next time

• 1 year later...
24 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Just checked the project troll for PHB - 5ft 8”

Griff

It’s been higher than recently this week. Wroxham bridge was a little tighter than normal for us on Wednesday at approx 6’3”, still a little bit of room to spare any higher would have required phase two, canopy back, instead of forward,  side screens completely removed along with the mast instead of just folded. This allows a for around 2-3 less inches in height on the boat, along with a few more engine revs for improved steerage and to help push a bit more water out of the bridge.  After that at below 6” there is no option 3 for us, other than to enjoy the peace and quiet along with the mostly empty moorings above the bridge 👍🏻

Kind regards 

Paul 

Edited by PCL023
Typo

25 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Just checked the project troll for PHB - 5ft 8”

Griff

We moored at Hardley Mill last night, with the intention of crossing Breydon this morning.  Looked at Project Troll and decided that it may be a wasted journey.  As it turns out, we could have made it . . . . . . . . . . . just.  Currently showing 8’5” at low water.  We need 8’3”.  I’ll check again tomorrow.  According to the BBC, the tides have peaked and should start to return to normal.  I do hope so, as several of the moorings down south have overtopped.

Berney arms was well over topped yesterday with a couple of hours till hw, burgh castle overtopped to base of steps, glad of my long pipe fenders going way below waterline, stopped at goodchilds to drop friends off and asked to stop for a couple of hours on the floater, yep fine, moved back to burgh castle moorings before the gate shut.

Northerlies to blame and must remember it's close to equinox. 

10 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Taken about 10.50 this morning at Potter Heigham. 
0C66140F-5BCB-40E6-BFC1-39E54687874B.thumb.jpeg.ce8fef2b83e9c9e42495f9a1875df81f.jpeg

Low water at 11.50. 

Straight ahead at full revs and you will get under there, why you could even manage it going astern. Go on, give it a go, do us all a favour :default_norty:

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

. . . . Now sheltering in Bridgestones from yet another heavy shower about to come over-getting very dark outside. 

Sheltering in Bridgestones?? 😂 I’ll have to remember that one!!  😉Don’t think the wife would believe me though!

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, BroadsLady said:

Can't think why anyone would want to shelter in Bridgestones with all that cake and wine on offer :default_biggrin: 

Precisely . . . . . . . . . . . well cake and coffee anyway.  For wine (or beer) there’s always The Norada just a few short steps away!  😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SwanR said:

I'm fairly sure I've just seen a bathtub coming slowly under the bridge on Barnes webcam with two blue barrels on the front. Guess the river levels must be well up and the boat needs to get back to Stalham tomorrow perhaps.

I recall a video shot some years ago when Connoisseur Cruisers were based above the bridge. They were using barrels to get the boats through.

• 2 weeks later...