Lockdown Winterisation

Cheesey69

This is like Groundhog day.    The trouble is , the good and the great (not Cummins)  all do as they are told and abide by the rules, the infection rate comes down and then the morons are let out again and we will be back in this situation again and again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hylander said:

This is like Groundhog day.    The trouble is , the good and the great ... all do as they are told and abide by the rules, the infection rate comes down and then the m***** are let out again and we will be back in this situation again and again.

Agree completely ... with apologies for slightly editing the quote Monica. 

It's about trusting people to do the right thing and sadly that doesn't seem possible in a lot of cases. Someone I work with was due to get married on Thursday!! Haven't seen any guidance on weddings yet, I can't imagine how he feels this morning.

Edited to add that I've just read the guidance now published and weddings are not permitted. That must be really hard to take ... missing out by one day! :(

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, marshman said:

I am afraid that winterising my boat is essential - if they would like the bill for the damage by not doing it then I would be happy to send it to them.

Fortunately its a 15 min journey so worth the risk. Hidden away on the boat not sure too many will spot me!!!!!!

I have never before thought of you as an anarchist! 

11 hours ago, marshman said:

Hidden away on the boat not sure too many will spot me!!!!!!

Best park your car around the corner!

43 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Edited to add that I've just read the guidance now published and weddings are not permitted. That must be really hard to take ... missing out by one day! :(

A friend's nephew was due to get married in May so they cancelled that, then they rearranged it for December to include just close family.  Then the numbers allowed got lowered so they decided to rearrange again for a minute affair in NOVEMBER!  You can't make it up!

I know my brother will be 100% stressed over getting his wooden sailing cruiser out of the water before the winter weather really kicks in and I am not in any position able to help so it is a worry for me.  At least he doesn't take it from Horning to Catfield (through Potter) any longer just the short trip to Ludham Bridge.

• Sad 1

I despair of the problems people read into this.

I said this back in April. The "rules" are simple.

If you want to go out, Don't. If you need to go out, Do.

If you think you can justify your journey to a sensible person, then it's probably ok to make it. If you are having to use your imagination to justify the trip, you are breaking the spirit of the "rules" and being a total Cummings.

If you can't work out what is meant by "a sensible person" then either you shouldn't be allowed out without your mummy, or you are exactly the problem we're trying to deal with.

It is my opinion that when winterising  a boat, social distancing can, with a little effort be achieved. That being the case, and that severe damage can result if the job is not done, then a reasonable/sensible person would go along with it. I also believe that it could be argued in court if necessary.

There is no point in demanding clear rules in black & white, it can't be done there would be so many rules, exemptions to those rules, exceptions to those exemptions etc. etc.

No, we have to rely on people understanding what is being asked. Stop looking for loopholes and get on with it.

I'm an idiot, yet I can do it!

• Like 17

At the end of the day as long as we all stay well that is all we can hope for.  God bless all of you and yours and stay safe.  Christmas will still happen and also other festivities that are celebrated at this time but just on a much smaller scale. 

Griff if only winterising was that simple.

• Like 2

If the weather turns cold I'll make the trip to winterise but if it's only a bit of overnight frost I'll stay well away till december, it's not often we get big freezes nowadays and from waterline down is normally kept above zero by the river.

I can go to the boat and back and not see anyone except through a car window.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

If the weather turns cold I'll make the trip to winterise but if it's only a bit of overnight frost I'll stay well away till december, it's not often we get big freezes nowadays and from waterline down is normally kept above zero by the river.

I can go to the boat and back and not see anyone except through a car window.

Remember you are testing your eyesight.

While I fully sympathise with anyone who has suffered distress of one sort or another throughout all of this I do call into question some peoples reaction to an inconvienience against those who have suffered a genuine loss non covid related, I ask for no sympathy but I and my family like many others have suffered the loss of a loved one without being able to have any of the normal contact or care etc you would normally exercise, we have accepted this and asked no more in the public good but am appalled at the selfish attitude of those that show total disregard of whats being asked of them in the pursuit of their own interests.

While I dont normally allow my private life to spill over onto the forum I have become disillusioned at the minority of people who are destroying my faith in what is generally a caring and civilised nation.

Whatever the government decree isnt and wont be perfect nobody can be right all the time let alone under the current circumstances but we as individuals have a responsibilty to conduct ourselves in an adult manner.

Fred

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, marshman said:

I am afraid that winterising my boat is essential - if they would like the bill for the damage by not doing it then I would be happy to send it to them.

Fortunately its a 15 min journey so worth the risk. Hidden away on the boat not sure too many will spot me!!!!!!

I am sure you can a possibly will visit your boat to winterise it before the latest restrictions come into force so why do you feel it necessary to encourage people to put their own interests before the public good I used to consider you a responsible individual not so sure now.

Fred

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Nowhere have  I encouraged anyone to put their interests above the public good - but I was talking about myself, not others.

As I live totally on my own, and will see noone else, between my car door and the boat's, I hardly consider that my actions could possibly make one bit of difference - I will see far more people doing my essential shopping. Nor am I going to go into, at length, the reason why, I cannot complete it before Wednesday evening!!!!

Its ok - I will say no more to encourage others to break the rules!!!!!!

• Love 1

Just to remind everyone on the policy we introduced at the start of Covid, that we will not entertain speculation or political comment over this issue, and would expect that only official announcements would be entertained. we are not a political discussion group so only discussions regarding the effect of covid on the broads or where the new regulations affect boat use on the broads will be entertained. 

comments that do not conform to this policy may be removed without warning or notification, and in this respect the moderators decisions ( arrived at between a group of the moderation team) are final and no discussion will be forthcoming over this topic.

We have noticed that some comments on covid related topics have been straying into the realms of politics, and would like to ask that you refrain from this type of discussion and stick to the verifiable facts and broads related discussions. not media speculation or misinformation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1