Change Toilet To Freshwater Flush

Jabsco say do not connect to the fresh water supply unless the model of toilet is specifically designed for it, I believe it is due to bacteria being able to pass from the 'dirty' side to the 'clean'. 

I don't know what make/model of loo you have but I would check with the manufacturer before doing anything.

(I only know this because I had the same thoughts as you).

4 minutes ago, marshman said:

May be owned by them, but still have their own set up I believe for marine bogs, up near Fenny Stratford?

Their website seems up to date and that link seems to work for marine stuff?

No maybe about it MM, was widely published within the trade when they rescued them from collaspe and not saying don`t contact them by any means. Ask for Paul at Ferry Stratford.

What are your reasons for fresh water flush? You pay out a chunk of cash and have to carry more water/top up more often, is river water flush that big an issue?

I wouldn't change for fresh flush, so the first flush smells a bit when boat has stood and you get a bit of silt in the pan, you get far worse in the pan anyway.

Between fresh flush and electric loo I've never seen the point, you are on a boat not in a hotel.

45 minutes ago, fishfoxey said:

Tbh to try and get rid of the smell. If there was an option to pump in the blue stuff as per a caravan I wud take that. Agree its a boat not a hotel, but a caravan isn't a hotel either but that doesn't stink every time you open the toilet door.

Am I right in thinking you haven't had the boat that long? It could be that the source of the whif is not the water inside the bowl. The transfer pipes can become sightly pourous with age. Leaks or spilages from the toilet can soak into woodwork under the floor. My latest experiment was to use up old tins of spray paint by spraying the timbers under the bog. Don't know if it's made a difference until December 2nd.

I've posted plenty on here about poo pipes having changed mine. That reminds me, I must wash my hands....

• Haha 1

If it is a Jabsco (aka a pump and dump) rather than a Mansfield (where you push a pedal that opens a ball valve) then yes the pipework can get a bit smelly.

But I have to say I would always go for riverwater flush - They will work regardless of whether you have any water left in the tank, and as others have said it is nice to be able to keep the two systems completely separate. You can have non-return valves etc but there's no separation like having completely separate pipework.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2020 at 08:27, finny said:

54 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Am I right in thinking you haven't had the boat that long? It could be that the source of the whif is not the water inside the bowl. The transfer pipes can become sightly pourous with age. Leaks or spilages from the toilet can soak into woodwork under the floor. My latest experiment was to use up old tins of spray paint by spraying the timbers under the bog. Don't know if it's made a difference until December 2nd.

I've posted plenty on here about poo pipes having changed mine. That reminds me, I must wash my hands....

Yeh only this year, but the electric toilet and all fittings are brand new just b4 I bought it , hence why I am pointing the finger at the river water especially as its not even been used for a no 2 yet lol

17 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

As long as the flush pipe is higher than the water level in the pan I can`t see how that could happen.

Then you don't understand the propensity for biofilm to colonize and spread on wet surfaces, irrespective of gravity.  A few years of the flush pipe being out of sight, out of mind is likely to give problems.   You are using potable water so you can't treat it with anything. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, fishfoxey said:

Yeh only this year, but the electric toilet and all fittings are brand new just b4 I bought it , hence why I am pointing the finger at the river water especially as its not even been used for a no 2 yet lol

Mine was similar but the electric had been changed for a manual just before I bought it. I suspect the people doing the conversions may not have been too careful with spilages. I would try a good clean up around the area first. By that I mean under the toilet and the surrounding area.

We had considered adding a fresh water flush to one of our toilets because at low tide our mooring dries. While it sounded like a good idea, in the meantime we have been using a 1Lt plastic jug filled from the basin tap when we are aground. This works fine and gives an idea how much water is needed. A lot less than I thought. We will be trying the Odourlos product once we have used all the blue we still have.

Colin :default_beerchug: