Wanted 1st Cruiser

9 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

All boats require maintenance, even brand new ones. If your budget is set in stone and you can't do any maintenance yourself you may need to factor those costs into your purchase price.

Maintenance is expected, repairs are a different matter and far more expensive imo!

Another one to consider is the Birchwood 25. Waterside had one recently, now sold, but at 8995 could have fitted your bill. Worth looking at one to see if it may suit. You’ll probably spot a few on your tour of the marinas around Cambs. Enjoy the voyage!

20 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Thank you OBB but 10k really is all we have to spend 😫

On 01/07/2021 at 08:35, JanetAnne said:

All boats require maintenance, even brand new ones. If your budget is set in stone and you can't do any maintenance yourself you may need to factor those costs into your purchase price.

Maintenance is expected, repairs are a different matter and far more expensive imo!

13 minutes ago, Lisahoward said:

Thank you OBB but 10k really is all we have to spend 😫

Buying a boat is the same as buying a vehicle, you rarely pay the full asking price. With a boat you ideally want a current BBS, a recent survey or pay to have one carried out and having the river toll in place for a year is a bonus.

• Like 1

If your top budget is 10k, at that price range expect to be spending a lot more on upgrades / essential repairs. Therefore you just might be in a situation where your purchase price will have to be lower and your getting into the realms of a project boat. 

Have you considered boat sharing?

Griff

• Like 1

Annoyingly for you, boat sales during the present climate are extremely strong with brokers struggling to maintain any sort of stock levels. Most boats are snapped up without making the websites or being advertised. I also hear they are achieving full asking price or higher. Tis also the same scenario for vans and caravans

Griff

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Annoyingly for you, boat sales during the present climate are extremely strong with brokers struggling to maintain any sort of stock levels. Most boats are snapped up without making the websites or being advertised. I also hear they are achieving full asking price or higher. Tis also the same scenario for vans and caravans

Griff

Thank you Griff, this is exactly what I said in my post. I was hoping by putting out my plea, someone would know someone who has something suitable for sale before going to ebay/gumtree etc. We have done lots of research, I understand the climate and fortunately are in no hurry to find the perfect boat for us. So I'll keep all my boxes that need ticking and like house hunting put the right boat for us to appear down to chance. Happy boating all and hope to meet you out on the water some time 🤞🌞😎 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BroadAmbition said:

boat sale during the present climate are extremely strong with brokers struggling to maintain any sort of stock levels. Most boats are snapped up without making the websites or being advertised. I

This is definitely what we found having changed boats in the last few months! The boat we had sold very quickly, it then took a while to find what we wanted.

Appollo Duck does not seem to be on everyone's radar when buying and it was here we found our new boat.

(It was actually mentioned on here before we started looking so it's worth checking back through the forum in case a boat mentioned a while ago is still available)

• Like 2

Hi Lisa Its cheaper in the long run to pay more for a boat that has been up graded and is good to go than buy cheap and then pay for upgrades unless you are good at DIY and live locally or have time to do it with traveling. John

Ofcourse! We are novices here and your chat is sooo informative and helpful! Thank you all so much :default_drinks:

BTW we even got a mooring with it, which suits us to early next year. (I confess, though, we had to go a bit over budget to get The One,but she was too beautiful to pass by!) We cant wait to share our journey with you all (pun intended!) So excited! Now looking at insurance and the shall we/shant we survey dilemma to get fully comp..

• Like 2

Navigation and General are who we use for insurance , and we find them very competitive .

Also consider breakdown insurance from someone such as Boulters Horning not just for peace of mind but a years cover is cheaper than one tow in .

Look forward to seeing you afloat soon , oh and don’t forget the photos , if you see us wave , Simon and Kate (Cerise Lady) 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Navigation and General are who we use for insurance , and we find them very competitive .

Also consider breakdown insurance from someone such as Boulters Horning not just for peace of mind but a years cover is cheaper than one tow in .

Look forward to seeing you afloat soon , oh and don’t forget the photos , if you see us wave , Simon and Kate (Cerise Lady) 

Congratulations on your purchase.  We bought our boat (Norfolk Lady) just over two years ago and use her whenever we can.

We insure through Craftinsure - https://www.craftinsure.com/ and find them to be very competitive.  Like Nav and Gen, they are underwritten by Zurich.

Although we moor in Brundall, we do stray onto the northern rivers when we can, so if you see us about, give us a wave!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lisahoward said:

Ofcourse! We are novices here and your chat is sooo informative and helpful! Thank you all so much :default_drinks:

BTW we even got a mooring with it, which suits us to early next year. (I confess, though, we had to go a bit over budget to get The One,but she was too beautiful to pass by!) We cant wait to share our journey with you all (pun intended!) So excited! Now looking at insurance and the shall we/shant we survey dilemma to get fully comp..

I seem to recall that under 23ft often doesn't require a survey for fully comp.

And now that I think about it my 25ft Safari only needed a "self survey" form filling in. I'm with Alan Boswell, a local broker who have great Broads knowledge.

Of course things might have changed but thought I'd mention the above.(I have a feeling there was a thread last year about all this but can't recall the details).

• Thanks 1