Wanted 1st Cruiser

Hi, we (along with many many other people it seems) are looking for our first power cruiser. We have a budget of 10k and would like a clean reliable boat with a stand up cabin, double berth, cooker, sink and loo. I've tried the usual places, but most seem to sell before they even get advertised on online. So I though I'd try this friendly group to see if anyone knows where there may be something suitable. Thank you :)

Maurice Mynah mentioned his previous Nyx a little while back, could fit the bill however you did put clean :default_biggrin: at the top of the list which may lead to a trades descriptions challenge from some of the other forumites on here! Welcome to the forum and it’s good luck with the search.

• Love 1

Morning Lisa and welcome to the forum. We’ve looked at boats for sale out of curiosity rather than serious intent. Have found what we want for … £55k!!

I don’t know enough to know whether you can get what you want for your budget. I would usually recommend looking on Wayford Marine’s website for the cheaper end of the market but I see they don’t appear to have much at the moment. 

Good luck with your search. 👍

• Like 1

While covid is around I doubt 10k will get that much as boats/campers/caravans have been getting snapped up by the staycation brigade, give it 18 months and the market may well be flooded with good deals as people get to go abroad again without issues and realise the mooring/tolls/insurance cost more than the boat after a few years unless you use it often enough.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lisahoward said:

Thank you for the link, but our budget is 10k and we want one ready to go as we don't know enough about boats to do repairs. 

All boats require maintenance, even brand new ones. If your budget is set in stone and you can't do any maintenance yourself you may need to factor those costs into your purchase price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

The first three are worth a look just to have a wander around Jones yard, they shift a lot of boats there and have a great shiney thing shop, or as we call them swindleries chandleries.

I think my favourite of the list is the little Brinks 25. For some reason I quite like that.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Have you arranged moorings for the new boat?

3 minutes ago, Lisahoward said:

I don't have the boat yet, still trying to find one. It may take me 6 months at this rate 😳

It is a chicken and egg situation as to which comes first unless you are lucky enough to find a boat that suits with a mooring of course.

• Like 1

With a tight budget I would advise go for Outboard propulsion.

If your purchase were to turn into an absolute engine disaster! £3000 spent with Mainetec could see you sailing away with a brand new, fuel injected 15hp Tohatsu on the back.

£3000 tends to go nowhere where serious inboard problems are concerned.

Just to mention, I have secured moorings and paid for them on a number of occasions to make sure I have somewhere when the right boat or a new one comes along.

An interesting "wish list" Lisa, and just about doable. Makes you might consider would be Freeman, Norman, SeaMaster and Elysian.

To get full headroom you will need to look at boats of 22ft length or greater. Boats with outboards are normally a bit cheaper than those with inboard engines. A lot of the 22ft boats will be 6' 10" in the beam, this you might find a tiny bit claustrophobic Freemans and Normans are frequently in this size bracket. Freemans will be a little older but will boast wonderful interior woodwork. SeaMaster did a 25' boat (SeaMaster Cadet) with a 9' 6" beam. Full headroom if you are under 6' tall.

Elysians can occasionally  just come in on budget , but there will probably be some work needed (like on mine). they are 27' long and normally have inboard diesel engines.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Of coarse the advantage of 6'10" beam is the whole canal system opens up to you and most narrowbeam grp boats are well within trailer size for moving around to a different system when you fancy a change of scenery.

I did years on narrowbeam boats but I think I'd find it hard to go back after having the extra space.

• Like 1

This is all really useful information, guys. Thank you so much. We dont want anything too big at this time. More expensive to moor and harder for a novice to park :default_blush: but I'm taking your advice and going to look at the stock at ely at the weekend. Wish me luck! We may be back here next week asking on tips on how to find an available mooring ! :default_eusa_dance: