Busy Day At Ludham!

CeePee1952

I watched a video last night from a well known Vlogger on You Tube showing the activity at Ludham bridge a few days ago.  I really hope it's not that bad when we come on the Broads the first week in September!  We're not experienced boaters by any standard but I cringed at some of the manoeuvres made by some!  Anyway, the weeks are getting less until we can enjoy the peace and tranquility once again on the Broads.  I was over in the Broads area last week for a couple of days and managed to purchase the Broads Cruising and Tourist map from the shop at Ranworth.  We've found it ideal for working out (in conjunction with the tide predictions etc) where we would like to visit during our weeks stay with Plan A, B, C etc if our original overnight mooring choice is full.  I have a few questions but will post those nearer the time.

Chris

its not always that bad, though there were some absolutely cringeworthy things happening, everything would have gone a lot smoother if people had stepped in and helped each other, there was a boat that decided to stern moor right next to the bridge as the gap was too short, but with a bit of assistance from other boaters everything would have run a lot smoother, the sailing vessel that literally pushed a dayboat off of the demasting point was clearly no communication between the person on the helm and the one on the bow.

I will ask that nobody post the video here please as a lot of boats were clearly identifiable, and under the name and shame section of the TOS we would have to take the video down.

generally the broads is more tranquil and peaceful than that, its just a timing issue, and the fact that a lot of bad seamanship was condensed into one short video, a bit like a weekly episode of youve been framed, where you know these things happen occasionally, but it looks a lot worse when condensed into a single video.

• Like 8

Well said Grendel. I was sitting at Oulton Broad one morning last week watching the comings and goings.  There was one boat that really struggled to moor and another that waited while a boat or two was rearranged in order to accommodate their size before they could moor. But I just don’t film those kind of things. It’s entertainment out of other people’s misfortune. I know how I would feel if I was filmed and put online so my videos don’t include those kind of moments. I rarely watch the channel I think is being referred to as that’s mostly all it seems to be. 

• Like 4

the youtuber in question also has a similarly named channel that she has started that seems to be more dedicated to wildlife and flowers and the local villages, to be honest i prefer that to the actual boating channel showing others mistakes, its bad enough when you get yourself into a muddle without having it filmed and put out for ridicule, imagine the embarrasment of the boaters when they get home from their holiday and all their friends are laughing at a video taken of them in a moment of stress and panic when things just didnt go right.

this is the reason behind some of the restrictions we place under the TOS

we all mess it up on some occasions, even the best of us.

• Like 5

Given that the largest hire yard on the Broads is at Stalham, coupled with the number of private craft  moored on the upper reaches of the Ant as well as a number of dayboats available for hire, not to mention the amount of river traffic heading up the river to explore one of the prettiest rivers on the network, all the ingredients are in place for chaos to ensue at the pinch point that is Ludham Bridge.

Other than near Wroxham Bridge, I can’t think of anywhere else on the Broads where anyone filming would be guaranteed to see some antics worthy of a clickbait title on a YouTube video.

Ludham bridge was absolutely manic the Sunday morning we went through a few weeks back but was very quiet the following morning once the rush of Richardson’s returners had gone upriver. I think the lesson is to try to avoid the place on a Saturday or Sunday.

Bit difficult if you are hiring from Stalham though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CeePee1952 said:

I watched a video last night from a well known Vlogger on You Tube showing the activity at Ludham bridge a few days ago.  I really hope it's not that bad when we come on the Broads the first week in September!  We're not experienced boaters by any standard but I cringed at some of the manoeuvres made by some!  Anyway, the weeks are getting less until we can enjoy the peace and tranquility once again on the Broads.  I was over in the Broads area last week for a couple of days and managed to purchase the Broads Cruising and Tourist map from the shop at Ranworth.  We've found it ideal for working out (in conjunction with the tide predictions etc) where we would like to visit during our weeks stay with Plan A, B, C etc if our original overnight mooring choice is full.  I have a few questions but will post those nearer the time.

Chris

If it makes you feel any better, I think it looks worse than it is.      If everyone just takes their time the boats always sort themselves out.      I dont much care for the pointy thing at the front of any yacht heading my way though.    You will be fine, more than you can say for my effort to quote your post.   Dont know what happened here Judge?

What I did chuckle at was the paddle boarders calmly paddling away and taking it all in their stride.

2 hours ago, CeePee1952 said:

• Like 1

We try to time it when we know the Richardsons queue will have gone back to Stalham to return their boats or before they all start coming down at the beginning of their holiday.  For example on Saturday we were at How Hill and by 9.00 the moorings were pretty empty.  I have to say, Ludham Bridge is where I get nervous and the thought of being on camera doesnt help my nerves. 

• Like 3

I think I'd be more nervous trying to squeeze in at Ranworth on a windy day than going through Ludham bridge!  I didn't post the link to that video on purpose (forum T&C's)  but I do think that it doesn't harm anyone who is thinking of taking a holiday on the Broads to see what can happen when things can go a bit t*t* up :default_blush:  I'm a great believer in slow and easy and that's exactly what we will be doing in September.  Of course that won't stop other people making mistakes (or us!) but at least it should minimise any major catastrophe :default_biggrin:

Chris

• Like 3

To be fair to the You-tuber she seems to do very little editing and what you see is what happens. Watching her channel regularly I am sure there is no ill intent. However, remember that we are watching in 2D and the camera angle and especially zoom can accentuate certain situations making them appear far worse than they actual are. 

My overall impression of the video was how in general everyone took it slow and except for the hire yacht incident with courtesy, something I think is far more important than people running to help and often making the situation worse.

Fred

• Like 2

Hi, 

Just back from a week on the Southern rivers, a week of relative peace and tranquility at Geldeston, Langley Dyke, Loddon and mudweighting overnight on Surlingham Broad near a Grebe nest. Saw a barn owl, otters , marsh harriers kingfisher s. Bliss don't let the video put you off.

Have a great time.

Neil

• Like 2

I think we must have always been lucky because we have never hit "traffic" at Ludham.

We have always had a clear run at the bridge.

That video does show quite well how one boat struggling a little can have a knock on effect though.

what I love on so many levels is the slow maneuvering for the water tap spaces. 

How much fun that is when emerging from the tunnel to see a side of a craft bang in front.

Or that little peek around the corner on the boatyard side to see if it is clear. 

Or me forgetting that the hooter on my boat is under the dash. Just watch the dog and mrs Cheese hit the roof when pressed.

2 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

Or me forgetting that the hooter on my boat is under the dash. Just watch the dog and mrs Cheese hit the roof when pressed.

It's even more fun when the horn is behind a little door on the back bulkhead of the bog just at ear level when seated!

• Haha 2