Steering Pulleys

Hi all

I am planning to convert the steering on Lovejoy from the Morse system to a pulley and cable sort of affair.

I am in need of some pulleys just like the ones in the picture

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Direction. See what I did there? 

Thanks

Steering Pulleys.jpg

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Why do you want to convert to an older type system?

Griff

JA and Robin have convinced me that the old ways are the best. They are like my Jedi masters and I am easily convinced.

And the Morse cable thing is rusty and graunchy and hateful. And almost impossible to get out and service.

And its a rack and pinion system that has been cut down so it fits in the steering cabinet thing so is not particularly good anyway.

And the decks are being replaced this winter so its an ideal opportunity to make a change. 

And probably other reasons but mainly Robin and JA. :)

Just a thought but a guy converted his motor sailor to a system using Dyneema which is stronger than steel rope, more flexible, wont corrode and more importantly, can use modern pullies.

He said because of its flexibility, it took up less room. 

3 hours ago, Cheesey69 said:

Just a thought but a guy converted his motor sailor to a system using Dyneema which is stronger than steel rope, more flexible, wont corrode and more importantly, can use modern pullies.

He said because of its flexibility, it took up less room. 

Will look into that - thanks

3 hours ago, annv said:

Hi Andy Have you looked at hydrophilic steering very easy to fit no maintenance and positive response ASAP do kits.John

I sort of looked and it does all look great and easy but I havent driven a boat with that system and have been told its go no feel at all. Maybe I should convince someone who has this set up to let me play.

There is very little feel to a hydraulic system, and not a great deal to a cable and pulley one either as the cables aren't nearly taught enough to provide haptic feedback like a Morse rack and pinion or a rotary cable. Hydraulic is also VERY expensive. But it requires no maintenance unless there's a leak and should last years. 

As for photos, sorry, they aren't to hand but mostly like the ones at 11 and 12 oclock on your photo. 

Personally, I would not install a cable and pulley system at all unless you're trying to take a vessel back to original fittings. 

• Like 1

Sunbird has a hydraulic system, as most dual steer boats will have. In the 20 years I owned her, it only needed new seals on one helm and the rudder ram. As for "feel", you'll never get the same feedback with any system, and who needs it anyway? It's not as if you're cornering on a wet road with crossply tyres! As far as I'm concerned, I don't need feedback on a boat.

• Like 2

Now I am more confused than ever.

Just when I thought I had made my decision the subject of hydraulic steering comes up again. I know this will be 

1. The most expensive option

2. The easiest to fit

3. Pretty much maintenance free

4. Sure to bring shame on me and my ability to go straight

But it does seem like the obvious choice.

#scratchingmyhead