Pipedreams

CambridgeCabby

The Bure River Cottage Restaurant, is run by a husband and wife team. Abi is the chef and Nigel is front of house. Very good fish restaurant, never had a bad meal or service here. Quite limited hours and only 30 covers so booking is advised. 

Open evenings only 18:00 - 23:15 Tues thru Sat. Closed all day Sun and Mon. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just had dinner in The Maltsters , Katie had the Bombay Chicken Burger whilst I sampled the Braised beef brisket coconut curry , both were excellent , tasty piping hot and promptly served .

Four real ales on this evening , I’ve tried “on your bike” and “ Burrows” both well kept and pleasant not the stronger type of ale I  prefer but nether the less very good 

IMG_4269.jpeg

IMG_4270.jpeg

IMG_4271.jpeg

• Like 4

Not tried it yet, but The Stag in Salhouse looks like it would suit those looking for the higher end of the market.

Trouble is that you can only see their menu on Faceache - that to me is a no no so I cannot even see if I could like it!!!! Cannot understand restaurants/pubs limiting their advertising to just Facebook - I suppose it doesn't matter if you have enough custom but it could show a lack of foresight. I don't think I am the only one to see it that way!!!

Incidentally the fish restaurant can be booked up to 3 weeks in advance in busy times!!!!

• Like 3

The problem with the The Stag, or should I say, for the Stag, is that if you're in Salhouse The Lodge is half a mile away, and like most of the Colchester Inns offerings, excellent.

Part of what keeps the Broads interesting is the way things change over time. For a while there wasn't a lot food wise to attract us to Salhouse, but over the last few years The Fur and Feathers seems to have improved, then suddenly add in The Stag and The Lodge and I could very easily spend three nights in Salhouse.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, marshman said:

Not tried it yet, but The Stag in Salhouse looks like it would suit those looking for the higher end of the market. Trouble is that you can only see their menu on Faceache

There's a sample and Sunday lunch menu for The Stag available on the Salhouse Hall Cottages website here.

Bure River Cottage looks well worth a visit. I might have to give it a try some time - which will probably feel a bit odd, as I still remember shopping there back when it was a supermarket.

2 minutes ago, Meantime said:

The problem with the The Stag, or should I say, for the Stag, is that if you're in Salhouse The Lodge is half a mile away, and like most of the Colchester Inns offerings, excellent.

The only criticism I've heard with The Lodge is that they're now cramming a lot more people in than they used to, so it tends to be noisier than in the past.

18 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

a heritage carrot is one that can trace its roots.

But a carrot doesn't have any roots : it is the root.

I see on the Stag menu - thank you Dom - there are no heritage carrots but they do promote "heritage tomatoes".  I suppose they grow on a family tree?  Is this some new appellation controlée of catering, that I have missed?

I am sure the food itself is probably delightful but some of the stuff they go on about in menus is just "a load of old squit".

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, marshman said:

But thats what the Colchester group do!!!!!

They obviously know what they're doing. I was friends with Matthew in primary school, back when his parents owned the Petersfield House Hotel in Horning, so he obviously has a lifetime of experience within the industry. It's just a shame that commercial success these days requires cramming the place with people to such a degree that it degrades the overall experience.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, dom said:

They obviously know what they're doing. I was friends with Matthew in primary school, back when his parents owned the Petersfield House Hotel in Horning, so he obviously has a lifetime of experience within the industry. It's just a shame that commercial success these days requires cramming the place with people to such a degree that it degrades the overall experience.

And I suppose that a lot of us on here are more about the experience.  

I Live in the village  and been in the Lodge and Stag many times. The lodge isn't over busy all the time it's mainly weekends especially Sunday.  If you go during the week and try to avoid prime times it's fairly quiet. 
The Stag is very busy in the evenings, they have tried to put too many tables in for the small pub it is. 

Both places you need to book in advance. Food wise we prefer the Lodge.

Both top end prices  but that's par for the course in the world we live. 

John 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Norfolkangler said:

And I suppose that a lot of us on here are more about the experience.  

Well I think we all are to some extent.

If it wasn't for the experience of dining out then we'd just have a takeaway or a Tesco Pizza at home?

We are booked into the Horning Fish restaurant at May half term.

We generally visit it once over 2 weeks of being afloat. Well worth the effort and the walk through Horning 👍🏻

• Like 3

On 16/05/2024 at 14:57, CambridgeCabby said:

then it is considered expensive and “I could cook that myself” by offering gastro termed meals the price tag doesn’t seem so inflated .

As the TV chef James Martin says :

What is the difference between a "dollop" and a "quenelle?

About twenty five Quid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I went to the Salhouse Stag about 2 months ago on a Sunday with fellow white boat sailors after a walk possibly up to 20 of us. It was packed - on Sunday they only do roasts but mine was excellent and was everyone elses. We all had to pre order due the size of the party. It wasn't cheap though. Not been in the week

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lulu said:

Fleet dyke? 

My guess too. Near the top end of the straight moorings.
I can’t think of elsewhere with grass up to the wood, although it’s not like that all along there either. And tall trees on both banks. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

We need your shears here Kate , loads of thistles around the mooring posts , you’ll have to moor here later in the week :default_biggrin:

I’ll be down there asap! Grendel’s method will be quicker. 
We have to remember thistle flowers give plenty of nectar though. Although my argument is we leave plenty of space for the insects all over the marshes, I’m sure they wouldn’t begrudge us a tiny bit of weed free ground on the moorings or along the footpaths. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

I’ll be down there asap! Grendel’s method will be quicker. 
We have to remember thistle flowers give plenty of nectar though. Although my argument is we leave plenty of space for the insects all over the marshes, I’m sure they wouldn’t begrudge us a tiny bit of weed free ground on the moorings or along the footpaths. 

The thistle burrs create havoc in Seren’s tail though! 

• Like 1

We decided to cast off at 19:00 to try our luck at Ludham Bridge as I was hankering for a pint of real ale , the last spot on the right heading upstream was free so we moored up and popped up to The Dog Inn , I had ham egg and chips and Katie had scampi and chips ordinary pub fare but well cooked and tasty , accompanied by a few pints 🍺 of Woodfords Phoenix which was well kept now back aboard , sadly home tomorrow as we are both working very early Tuesday  

IMG_4274.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ColinL said:

How long does it take to walk to the stag from Salhouse broad?

About 20 minutes - 10 up to the car park and 10 along the road. 

• Like 3

I can do the F and F in about 20 minutes, I think the Stag is a bit further, last time I did it, it was the Bell but I would say 35 to 40 ish, depending on how fast you walk and how thirsty you are :default_biggrin:

• Like 1