Passage Through Wroxham Bridge

jamesbagnall

Morning folks.

I'm sure that this subject has been done to death over the years!

However, I have just bought ex Brinkcraft 'Rhapsody' (for those that know the boat, it's the very weird looking Czech built 'River Boat 26, so please don't judge me!).

She will allegedly go under Wroxham according to the old Blake's brochure, but wonder what people's experience of taller but 'thin' boats are at getting under the bridge?

I measured her with a full water tank (tank is at the front) and I make her to be 6ft 9in. Which if Wroxham is 7ft 3in, makes it rather a tight squeeze!!

However, I wonder, if with her being fairly narrow beam (8ft 2in) if she'll likely be OK?

Also, I understand that the Wroxham pilot will only take hire boats through, is this definitely the case?

Cheers,

James.

1 minute ago, BrundallNavy said:

Ask Barnes 

Yes, I called them. They were really helpful and remembered the boat well, but since it's been a few years out of their ownership, they couldn't really tell me much. I'm optimistic, as their own brochure from 2007 says it will pass under Wroxham.

55 minutes ago, jamesbagnall said:

Morning folks.

I'm sure that this subject has been done to death over the years!

However, I have just bought ex Brinkcraft 'Rhapsody' (for those that know the boat, it's the very weird looking Czech built 'River Boat 26, so please don't judge me!).

She will allegedly go under Wroxham according to the old Blake's brochure, but wonder what people's experience of taller but 'thin' boats are at getting under the bridge?

I measured her with a full water tank (tank is at the front) and I make her to be 6ft 9in. Which if Wroxham is 7ft 3in, makes it rather a tight squeeze!!

However, I wonder, if with her being fairly narrow beam (8ft 2in) if she'll likely be OK?

Also, I understand that the Wroxham pilot will only take hire boats through, is this definitely the case?

Cheers,

James.

Sounds about right.

Boatyards will usually add a few inches to the real air draft figures to stop hirers chancing it, and as you say she’s quite narrow beam.

The pilot might have a good idea but trying it is the only way to be sure. She’s narrow but doesn’t have the sculpted roof like broads boats do.

I was nervous when I took our boat through for the first time last year, so I paid the pilot who will now take private boats. From memory I believe it was £15 for the return trip. We went through with the gauge reading 6'6" and it my opinion it was well worth £7.50 each way for the peace of mind.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, PaulN said:

I was nervous when I took our boat through for the first time last year, so I paid the pilot who will now take private boats. From memory I believe it was £15 for the return trip. We went through with the gauge reading 6'6" and it my opinion it was well worth £7.50 each way for the peace of mind.

That’s great news. I wasn’t sure if this was in place for private boats. Coltishall here we come! 

Hi James If you stand at rear of boat and site along highest part of boat on approaching if you can see the far underside of arch you will get through if only the near under arch you will ht it, alternatively attach a sprung pole to front pulpit rail the top  being your highest part if pole goes under fine if it touches you have time to engage reverse and abandon the attempt. John

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, annv said:

Hi James If you stand at rear of boat and site along highest part of boat on approaching if you can see the far underside of arch you will get through if only the near under arch you will ht it, alternatively attach a sprung pole to front pulpit rail the top  being your highest part if pole goes under fine if it touches you have time to engage reverse and abandon the attempt. John

Thanks for the advice John.

I've watched the bridge pilots pretty much running through at full throttle (assume to maintain steerage). In guessing that approaching slowly will lead to trouble, but give a better chance of engaging astern for an abort!

I remember back in 2000 taking a richo's hire boat (dainty gem) under there (pilot not required then, only for ph) and on the way back back down we were just about to go under when I remembered we had 2 mountain bikes on the roof, we did manage to reverse in time but it was pretty damned close.

We put them inside the boat and went for it.

45 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I remember back in 2000 taking a richo's hire boat (dainty gem) under there (pilot not required then, only for ph) and on the way back back down we were just about to go under when I remembered we had 2 mountain bikes on the roof, we did manage to reverse in time but it was pretty damned close.

We put them inside the boat and went for it.

They were mountain bikes - but very nearly human power pedal-skis :446_bicyclist: :default_stinky:

A close call by the sound of it !