Beccles

andyg

Hi guys, apart from the yacht station are there any moorings below the bridge in Beccles, IE a pub etc, but still in the village. We are on a week's cruise in May and I've decided to concentrate on the southen rivers. We've done the the northern network to death the last few years and I wouldn't say its getting boring. But a change wouldn't hurt. Loddon is on my list along with a visit to the new Inn at Rockland. There's a curry house in Norwich we want to re visit, so an overnight at commissioner cut will be had. I'm gonna give Oulton broad a miss as I've never really enjoyed an overnight stop. Any other nice overnight stops you could think might be worth a go I'd appreciate the heads up. Thanks 👌 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, andyg said:

Hi guys, apart from the yacht station are there any moorings below the bridge in Beccles, IE a pub etc, but still in the village. We are on a week's cruise in May and I've decided to concentrate on the southen rivers. We've done the the northern network to death the last few years and I wouldn't say its getting boring. But a change wouldn't hurt. Loddon is on my list along with a visit to the new Inn at Rockland. There's a curry house in Norwich we want to re visit, so an overnight at commissioner cut will be had. I'm gonna give Oulton broad a miss as I've never really enjoyed an overnight stop. Any other nice overnight stops you could think might be worth a go I'd appreciate the heads up. Thanks 👌 

:default_beerchug:  Will you be able to get under the bridge?  Moorings at the swimming pool and further on to the Locks pub.  Enjoy.

50 minutes ago, Karizma said:

If you can get under Beccles bridge then there's free moorings just outside Rowan craft boat yard (but don't tell everyone!) and a lovey pub; The Wherry Inn, in Geldeston village for drinks / food - highly recommended.

Thanks, much appreciated. I've never been up there, I definitely have a look. 👍

Moorings pretty much at the yacht station or through the bridge on the pontoon near the swimming pool. Golden bridge is a Bounty 30??? if so, the bridge shouldn't be an issue unless right on high tide. Pubs in Beccles - Butchers Arms, Ingate and Caxton Club. 

Go down and carry on to the end - fork in the river - right to Geldeston Village and aforementioned Wherry - excellent pub. Left fork to the Locks - another excellent pub. 24 hour moorings at the Locks - more of a grassy bank at the village side. Beautiful stretch of river. 

• Like 3

I really like the swimming pool moorings if you can get under the bridge - quieter than the Yacht Station and an even shorter walk to town.

If you're going to Norwich then Commissioners Cut and a bus is OK but personally I enjoy the cruise into Norwich and the Yacht Station is so well placed.

• Like 2

Hi Howard golden is indeed a bounty 30, very reasonably priced. That's the only way I could swing it with the wife as I've spent enough on boats already this year lol. Yours and Simon great reviews of bridgecraft tempted me into giving them ago. Already experienced the excellent customers service everyone raves about. Spoke with Mark for quite a while on Sunday about the broads and how busy they been, a very likable chap. I will gladly except your pub recommendations, let's face it if you don't know who would 😉 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

If you're going to Norwich then Commissioners Cut and a bus is OK but personally I enjoy the cruise into Norwich and the Yacht Station is so well placed.

Commissioners Cut is OK but you would need a torch after dark and the buses stop running at 5 or 6 ish

The Yacht station might be a better bet. Where is the curry house?? Also good train service to Norwich, from say Brundall or Cantley. Bit of a longer walk to Reedham station. 

yes, agree, Bridgecraft are excellent, you wont get better customer service, nothing is too much trouble for them. They've been very good to us this winter. 

• Like 2

Andy. If you moor at the swimming pool and turn left out onto the lane, the Waveney House Hotel is on the river, a couple of hundred yards down on your left. From there you can go up the steps on the right into the churchyard which is at the top of the town. I haven’t been in the Geldeston Locks since it’s refurbishment but I can recommend Geldeston Wherry.

• Like 1

There’s not much downriver from Beccles, not with pubs anyway. There are lovely quiet BA moorings at North Cove and Worlingham Staithe but it’s quite a walk from those moorings to pubs. Theres also mooring at Aldeby Staithe, which is just before the old railway bridge piers. Private moorings. Last time we passed I think the sign said £5 overnight. 
If you can get under the old bridge at Beccles (i.e. upriver of the Yacht Station) there is a very nice quiet mooring at Beccles Lido. We moored there stern-on a few years ago, but I think you can moor side on if you pay a bit more. When the lido is open you can get water too. Further upriver between Beccles and Geldeston there is now a cleared bank where you can do a wild mooring and, of course, at the head of the Waveney navigation there are the BA moorings near the Lock Inn and in the other direction there are the wild moorings on Geldeston Dyke. A short walk from the Dyke takes you into the village and the Wherry Inn. 

• Like 1

I found the beer very well priced at the butchers arms last year (and a rum cupboard to die for), they did very basic pub food which was good for the money (basket meal type stuff), if you prefer beer colder like me you can call ahead and get a pint poured and put in the fridge.

If it's tipping down with rain I've moored under the bypass bridge before using a couple of mudweights tucked over the piling edge, it makes it much quieter and no road noise under there surprisingly.

Cheapest riverside beer south would be the fishermans at burgh castle, ship at reedham is generally more reliable than the nelson for having food on, a big feed can be had a cantley reedcutter for a good price also you'll never leave surlingham ferry hungry, new inn at rockland is definately not keen to close while folk are drinking :default_beerchug:.

Swan at loddon is surprisingly good for for beer price and white horse at chedgrave is great for grub and time it right they have a comedy night there quite often, rosy lees brekkie is a legal requirement when in loddon.

10 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Pubs in Beccles - Butchers Arms, Ingate and Caxton Club

Hi Howard, you're selling Beccles short only mentioning those three pubs, although the best there's also,

The Kings Head (Wetherspoons) Bear and Bells, Wine Vaults to name three more, and as mentioned The Waveney house Hotel, other establishments are also available.

Paul.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

I found the beer very well priced at the butchers arms last year (and a rum cupboard to die for), they did very basic pub food which was good for the money (basket meal type stuff), if you prefer beer colder like me you can call ahead and get a pint poured and put in the fridge.

If it's tipping down with rain I've moored under the bypass bridge before using a couple of mudweights tucked over the piling edge, it makes it much quieter and no road noise under there surprisingly.

Cheapest riverside beer south would be the fishermans at burgh castle, ship at reedham is generally more reliable than the nelson for having food on, a big feed can be had a cantley reedcutter for a good price also you'll never leave surlingham ferry hungry, new inn at rockland is definately not keen to close while folk are drinking :default_beerchug:.

Swan at loddon is surprisingly good for for beer price and white horse at chedgrave is great for grub and time it right they have a comedy night there quite often, rosy lees brekkie is a legal requirement when in loddon.

The Ship - Food every day and breakfasts Mon-Sat from Easter The Lord Nelson - Food Wed-Sun at present with 3/4 bookable moorings at £10 per night ( a couple in reach of the Electric Post)

We've moored outside the Waveney House Hotel a couple of times, not overnight but lunchtime and in the morning waiting for clearance under the bridge

There is a sign up with a number to book moorings but we never booked, just moored up and asked if ok, both times they said it wasn't a problem, but we did buy lunch drinks/coffee

Drinks pricey in there and if you have a dog its garden only

My favourite is the Bear and Bells which is very dog friendly, the beer and food is always good and the owner is a bit eccentric but good fun

• Like 2

Bramerton Common is a lovely BA 24 hour mooring and a short walk to the Water's Edge bar and restaurant, or you can phone the Waters Edge and reserve a free for patrons mooring on their excellent Staithe. Not the cheapest but excellent food, spotlessly clean and friendly staff.

If you are visiting Loddon, we agree with Smoggy, our favourite is the White Horse at Chedgrave, fabulous food lovely friendly service. Have a look at their website for entertainment.

At Beccles, if you like an Italian restaurant, we enjoy the one at what was the old cinema, lovely decor, good food and friendly service.

• Like 1

We've also enjoyed a takeaway at Beccles. It's a fairly short walk up the hill (Ravensmere) to Oakfired Pizza at the Royal Oak and almost next door to them is The Cod House chippy.

Has anyone tried out the new deli/coffee shop that has opened on Fen Lane? That's the lane that faces on to the moorings that are next to the Yacht Station.

If you are going Norwich way, there's a highly recommended Indian takeaway near the Commissioner's Cut moorings - Merchant's of Spice. Near the Yacht Station there also a new Turkish restaurant, Gem of Norwich, that do dine in and takeaways and is (judging from reviews) also highly recommended. 

We had an excellent takeaway in Oulton Broad when we were there last from the Labone which is just up the road from the Yacht Station - it's literally in the OU North railway station building.

• Like 1