Part Bake Bread And Rolls

Andrewcook

• unclemike changed the title to Part Bake Bread And Rolls

I find those part baked rolls very handy on board (I do bake bread, but not something I want to do whilst on holiday). The ones marketed by that guy who’s a judge on bake off are better than the smaller French style crusty types though. (Sorry, it’s been a long day at work…a ‘whatshisname’ moment.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Got me thinking this one and just how much I miss having a local bakery. We have the tesco morrisons sainsbury instore ones locally but there just not the same. The local co op instore bakery is dreadful to be perfectly honest. I've never tried making my own bread I know Kim has a bread making machine thingy somewhere in the house. I've got time on my hands I might just give in a go. 

1 hour ago, grendel said:

with a breadmaker, dont try anything fancy the first time, just try a sandwich loaf recipe out of the book and you should get an edible result.

I actually do fancy giving it a go. I will search out some recipes and post pics of my results. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I’ve long fancied getting a bread maker. Anyone got any recommendations?

We had a Panasonic, but gave it away recently.  It used to get used a lot, but latterly became an ornament in our kitchen.  Due to ongoing renovations at our bungalow, it remained in storage for sometime after we moved, but once unpacked we took the decision that it was no longer needed.

To be honest, we didn’t eat enough bread during the week at home, to justify keeping it.  We do buy part baked rolls or baguettes occasionally, but usually from Aldi and find them to be absolutely fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

I’ve long fancied getting a bread maker. Anyone got any recommendations?

We've got a Kenwood Rapid bake BM450.  Not sure if it's still made but it has proved it's worth over the years.  It has the automatic seed dispenser (if you're into that sort of thing!) and is very versatile in what it can do (the bread machine that is!).  The only niggle with it, like most bread machines), is getting the paddle off the spindle once you've got the bread out.  The other downside is the "hole" it leaves in the bread where the paddle was once you've got the bread out but it's not really a big issue :default_smile:  We mainly use ours when we do our homemade soup or stew - nice crusty bread to dip in and mop up :default_icon_e_biggrin:

Chris

• Like 1

I once baked several times a week, and wore out the breadmaker in just over a year, but though the bread tastes nicer, it was working out no cheaper than buying a loaf from the supermarket. what can make a great flavour difference is buying fresh yeast at the bakery counter of the supermarket (you will have to ask at the counter), it keeps quite well in the fridge and can even be frozen, you need a piece about 1/2 of a 1" cube for a loaf, and the flavour over dried yeast is a lot better, a 100g lump does quite a few loaves.

• Like 1

i do it by hand when on the boat, if it ends up like that the mix was probably too dry and maybe cooked too long, plus if its not doubled in size it really just needs longer, when the recipe says let it rise for 45 minutes, that can stretch to an hour- or 2 hours if necessary, depends on the weather and temperature. if you see me out and about I am happy to give bread making tips

3 hours ago, grendel said:

I once baked several times a week, and wore out the breadmaker in just over a year, but though the bread tastes nicer, it was working out no cheaper than buying a loaf from the supermarket. what can make a great flavour difference is buying fresh yeast at the bakery counter of the supermarket (you will have to ask at the counter), it keeps quite well in the fridge and can even be frozen, you need a piece about 1/2 of a 1" cube for a loaf, and the flavour over dried yeast is a lot better, a 100g lump does quite a few loaves.

You’re right Grendel about fresh yeast giving a better flavour. 
For a 7g ( of one sachet ) dried yeast recipe, use 15g of the fresh yeast. And as you said, yeast keeps for months in the freezer. 

We have a breadmaker - an old Kenwood BM22, which I have used for years. I used to struggle with the paddle until i discovered that, if you set a kitchen timer to about an hour and a half and start it at the beginning of the bread cycle, it will alarm just after the final knock-down, which is the last point at which the paddle is used. At this point, I open the lid, gently pull the dough to one side and remove the paddle, gently pushing the dough back afterwards. This gives a loaf which has a small indent in the base rather than a ragged hole where the paddle has been removed.

To keep the costs down I use chapatti flour (£5 for 10kg) mixed 50/50 with strung bread flour. Makes a tasty loaf for a lower cost than so-called artisan bread or even ordinary shop-bought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1