Water Rail Out And About.

10 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

I think this will probably send Thames into public ownership.Screenshot_20240518_074139_Google.thumb.jpg.3e93567289577fafa32e44886db3b9a4.jpg

Not really the time or the thread (sorry Peter), but given Thames Water’s (self inflicted) financial woes, recent issues at Southern Water and United Utilities (the Lake Windermere incident) and ongoing problems at South West Water, it’s about time OFWAT and the Government got involved and reminded these companies what is expected of them.

All of them operate a monopoly, which is not inline with the freedom of choice that I though privatisation was supposed to provide!

• Like 3

What a day yesterday, great weather and great company.

We had the cruise in company, Bikertov accompanied me and helmed for the return trip from Ranworth., in fact a few of the boats took passengers for the trip.

Then it was just a day of sitting, chatting and pleasurable company, Kate baked some cakes, I baked some bread, and we had a quiz from Nigel.

Then the barbecues came out, 

All the above was accompanied by chatting and the occasional libation.

A wonderful day.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, grendel said:

What a day yesterday, great weather and great company.

We had the cruise in company, Bikertov accompanied me and helmed for the return trip from Tamworth., in fact a few of the boats took passengers for the trip.

Then it was just a day of sitting, chatting and pleasurable company, Kate baked some cakes, I baked some bread, and we had a quiz from Nigel.

Then the barbecues came out, 

All the above was accompanied by chatting and the occasional libation.

A wonderful day.

That was some cruise!!! from Tamworth?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisB said:

That was some cruise!!! from Tamworth?

Yes, it was quite a long and exhausting trip to helm :default_rofl:

Maybe next year we should choose somewhere nearer to start from, like Ranworth maybe ?

• Haha 4

But thank you again Grendel for hosting me on board

It was great to be on Water Rail for the cruise, and spend a few hours chatting about the boat, and our shared interests such as Lidl and Aldi tool shopping !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Now you have all made me jealous, the nearest I got to a boat was carrying out my weekly safety checks of our lifeboats offshore. Thankfully they were no where near the water.

Seriously though, it sounds like a great time was had by all.:594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

• Like 1

I departed Salhouse just after 10 am and headed towards Wroxham, passing straight through the bridge ( 6'9") I then headed straight to coltishall locks and am moored nicely in the shaded end on 2 rhond anchors. Not too much weed, not too many paddle boards . Only 1 other boat here.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, grendel said:

I departed Salhouse just after 10 am and headed towards Wroxham, passing straight through the bridge ( 6'9") I then headed straight to coltishall locks and ambulance nicely in the shaded end on 2 rhond anchors. Not too much weed, not too many paddle boards . Only 1 other boat here.

Ambulance needed in the shaded area, must have been some session last night:default_beerchug:

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, grendel said:

I departed Salhouse just after 10 am and headed towards Wroxham, passing straight through the bridge ( 6'9") I then headed straight to coltishall locks and am moored nicely in the shaded end on 2 rhond anchors. Not too much weed, not too many paddle boards . Only 1 other boat here.

Pop in the RS for a beer :default_beerchug:

• Like 2

If the bridge is 6' 9" what height is your boat please?     We were 6.10 last week and could not get through anywhere except Ludham Bridge.   Enjoy being in the best place on the Broads.      We hadnt noticed many of those awful Egyptian Geese travelling around, are there any beyond the Bridge at Wroxham?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grendel said:

am moored nicely in the shaded end on 2 rhond anchors

Here you go Grendel. I came past on my walk and called you but no reply. 
E54B92E7-AE3A-4E2D-8038-EDF720F21B5A.thumb.jpeg.e94c02d08af521541c57ab370b1d14f6.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 2

I took the opportunity to trim the grass at the mooring, as it was overhanging the edge of the solid ground, and I didn't want to fall in, so there is a nice trimmed section at the far end from the lock. Other than that it's been a lazy afternoon listening to music and watching YouTube. ( With maybe a nap)

• Like 5

This morning a departure for wroxham just before 9am, arrived 10.30am, a gentle pootle down the river, past  dredging and spoil points and a weed cutter. 

En route I was pleased to see some coots with babies, though one pair went scooting to each side of the river leaving junior mid stream.

Anyway shopping next.

• Like 2

Today after shopping I decided to visit the model world, had a good mooch round the railway layouts and toys, after that I looked at my watch and noticed that a train was soon to run from the bure valley railway, so headed there next. I got chatting to a lady a few seats away, and as neither of us had anything to do while waiting for the return trip, we had a coffee and a chat, she was bird watching and camping. We decided to share a carriage for the return journey and had a great time nattering away. All too soon we had arrived back, a few moments pleasantly shared between 2 total strangers. It's always worth striking up a conversation. You never know who you will meet.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

After I got back to the boat, I decided to spend the night at castle staithe, which when bi got there was infested with youngsters having fun, so nice to see youngsters having fun rather than just sitting on their phones.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, grendel said:

Today after shopping I decided to visit the model world, had a good mooch round the railway layouts and toys, after that I looked at my watch and noticed that a train was soon to run from the bure valley railway, so headed there next. I got chatting to a lady a few seats away, and as neither of us had anything to do while waiting for the return trip, we had a coffee and a chat, she was bird watching and camping. We decided to share a carriage for the return journey and had a great time nattering away. All too soon we had arrived back, a few moments pleasantly shared between 2 total strangers. It's always worth striking up a conversation. You never know who you will meet.

Which train was running Grendel ? 

Aylsham market place isn’t far from the station 10 min walk and Mondays is market day in the square well worth a look around If your ever that was on a Monday again 

Edited by Roy
Spelling mistake
  • Thanks 1