I Have Just Been Clobbered By One Of Those B * * * * * Hire Boats!

Vaughan

While it's all very romantic to express that some of the "well known names" have not posted recently, I have noticed that this forum has become a far nicer place to be.

One has reappeared here and I am already once again reminded of Harry Enfield's three scousers: "Are you saying?"

Caam down! CAAM DOWN!:default_hiding:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, floydraser said:

While it's all very romantic to express that some of the "well known names" have not posted recently, I have noticed that this forum has become a far nicer place to be.

One has reappeared here and I am already once again reminded of Harry Enfield's three scousers: "Are you saying?"

Caam down! CAAM DOWN!:default_hiding:

It's remarks like that which lead me to stop posting. But I could not let the misinformation about insurance companies never resisting legitimate claims go unchallenged, given my recent personal experience. I'll calm down and not bother you any more. Well done.

Crumbs!!    I read the post , first because I thought some pour soul had been walloped whilst out on the river , and then secondly I read it as information to help people if the same unfortunately scenario happened to them.    It was very informative.   I also happen to agree with Jean who suggested that it may be prudent to also let us know what should happen if you are clobbered by a private vessel.    I cannot for the life of me see any thing offensive in any of that.      Some people on here are just out for a scrap over any silly thing.     Life is to bloody short,.

Now pick the bones out of that lot.

:default_beerchug:  

• Like 10
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, Paladin said:

It's remarks like that which lead me to stop posting. But I could not let the misinformation about insurance companies never resisting legitimate claims go unchallenged, given my recent personal experience. I'll calm down and not bother you any more. Well done.

Thank you for the well done, I see that as an acheivement. You COULD have let "misinformation" (which a lot of people seem to find very informative) go unchallenged but chose not to by your own free will. I wonder how many others here find it odd that someone with your wealth of experience in all things legal has any bother at all with such things. Don't they know who you are? Don't feel you have to answer that.

29 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Crumbs!!    I read the post , first because I thought some pour soul had been walloped whilst out on the river , and then secondly I read it as information to help people if the same unfortunately scenario happened to them.    It was very informative.   I also happen to agree with Jean who suggested that it may be prudent to also let us know what should happen if you are clobbered by a private vessel.    I cannot for the life of me see any thing offensive in any of that.      Some people on here are just out for a scrap over any silly thing.     Life is to bloody short,.

Now pick the bones out of that lot.

:default_beerchug:  

I agree fully.As a private  owner,if we hit a boat private  or hire and it was our fault.We would deal with it in the correct legal way.I can't see anything  in the post started by Vaughan wrong.Indeed a useful post.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Thank you for the well done, I see that as an acheivement.

I think the forum is all the richer for a broader range of posters with different backgrounds and experience in different fields, whether that be someone with a lifetimes experience of running hire yards, someone with an interest in legal matters through to the light hearted who post jokes or provide entertainment by recounting their holiday tales.

It is not an achievement to deter any of them from posting. Let the moderators decide what should or shouldn't be posted and let them decide who needs to be deterred from posting on the forum. The rest of us can just chose to skip over posts, or posters we don't agree with.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Meantime said:

I think the forum is all the richer for a broader range of posters with different backgrounds and experience in different fields, whether that be someone with a lifetimes experience of running hire yards, someone with an interest in legal matters through to the light hearted who post jokes or provide entertainment by recounting their holiday tales.

It is not an achievement to deter any of them from posting. Let the moderators decide what should or shouldn't be posted and let them decide who needs to be deterred from posting on the forum. The rest of us can just chose to skip over posts, or posters we don't agree with.

You are absolutely right of course but most people will have picked up that mine was a cynical response to what was a cynical "Well done". You have obviously interpreted it literally.

My youngest son and his girlfriend is taking over Karizma on the Northern rivers, on their own, for the very first time in a couple of weeks, and although he's had a couple of long 'tuition' weekends out with us, I'm still a little bit nervous - not about his handling of the boat (I'm sure he will be careful and remember everything he's learnt), but how much thought he gives to making sure boats around him are also careful, and what to do if something unfortunate happens.

I'll be taking Vaughan's guidance and printing it out for him to follow ......... hopefully he won't need it!

• Like 1

Going by what happens with minor car accidents, people seem to be programmed to deny all responsibility. And if they were looking the other way, all knowledge it happened! Witnesses must be so important.

I've known people to admit responsibility at the scene only to deny it on the report form.

We have hired static caravans before. In one the teapot was at the back of a kitchen cupboard - first thing you look for on arrival! As Mrs Raser picked it up it fell into pieces, the largest of which just missed her foot and stuck into the floor covering. On another occasion one of the beds had been broken and collapsed when one of the grandchildren sat on it. In both cases previous hirers had tried to cover up their own damage to avoid losing the deposit. 

And although we wouldn't like to admit it, I'm sure there are some dodgy private owners out there as well.

Fingers crossed that accidents only happen to honest folk.:default_coat:

12 minutes ago, floydraser said:

I've known people to admit responsibility at the scene only to deny it on the report form.

Part of the problem is it is often a condition of the policy that you do not accept responsibility or apologise even if the accident was your fault. I can imagine it's very difficult not to apologise at the scene if it's your fault and especially if the other party is understandably upset. Standing their and not taking the blame is only likely to infuriate the aggrieved party further. Then they go home and read the policy and what they were meant to do in the event of an accident and fill in their claim form accordingly.

I had someone hit my parked car in a hotel car park. I saw it happen but was to far away to stop them before they hit my car. They gave me their details and apologised and then some months later the insurance company for the third party denied the van had even been in the hotel car park. That was until I produced two bit of paper, one with the drivers personal details written down by him, and the other with his companies details on headed paper, and the final thing was footage from my dashcam as I left the hotel where his van was clearly visible. Needless to say they settled immediately after that.

Read your insurance policy BEFORE you need it, especially the section on what to do in the event of an accident. I know it's hard, but remember you are not meant to admit liability, and try and bear that in mind if your are the aggrieved party.

I mentioned before the missing item was reporting it to the BA. They can often help because they will record the details officially which could then help your insurance claim, if the other party denies it later.

6 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

I am absolutely flummoxed to read that experianced boaters didnt know what to do in the event of an accident.

But not everyone on here is either experienced or a boat owner. Some of us are here due to our love of the Broads, with an ambition to get a boat of our own.

I thought Vaughan's post was informative and well meaning, and that is exactly how I have taken it.

• Like 5

Well, rereading the topic header in the cold light of day there is no way I can read it other than my original interpretation. It could easily have been phrased in such a way as to identify the correct content of the thread, such as "what to do in the case of accident" or even "what to do if hit by a hire boat" but instead was worded in a manner intended to cause a reaction.

The OP goes on to tell us that the adverb used in the description is not a swear word but still sees the need to obscure it with asterisks. Ask at my son's school, check the OED and both will confirm it is still considered an expletive. This might be acceptable in the OP's household and family but not in mine. Here, values still exist. 

I also cannot believe that nobody has picked up on the point 

You would be surprised how many private owners and live-aboards all over Europe, get their winter maintenance paid for every year by claiming to have been hit by a hire boat!  

Are we also now accepting that it is in order to falsify or exaggerate claims for your own financial benefit? I am sure there is a word for that but being a legal matter perhaps Paladin, should he choose to come back on the subject can better define it than me. 

31 minutes ago, Paul said:

such as "what to do in the case of accident" or even "what to do if hit by a hire boat" but instead was worded in a manner intended to cause a reaction.

"All right guv, I hold my hand up. It's a fair cop!"

I created a new thread as there had been a most unfortunate incident with a private boat, which had left the owner so traumatised as to consider selling his boat.  I felt that there was a misunderstanding of what to do in such cases and wanted to draw the attention of members who might also be worried.  I wanted their attention - I wanted them to sit up and listen.  Would they have done that if I had called it "Insurance Claims and how to deal with them."?

As it is, this thread has already had 1300 views in a day and a half and run to two pages. So you may not like my cheeky use of an asterisk but at least I have got my message across and I very much hope that those who appreciate it, will find it useful some time.

• Like 10

Vaughan - I think your only 'error', if any, was the use of asterisks that could have suggested a swear word.

If, for instance, you had said "bloomin' hire boats", without asterisks, there may not have been any backlash.

In any case, as I previously said, I found your post useful and informative.

54 minutes ago, Paul said:

Are we also now accepting that it is in order to falsify or exaggerate claims for your own financial benefit?

I don't think there was any suggestion it is acceptable. Indeed if you read the whole paragraph in full, not just the bit you quoted, I took it as a warning against anyone doing so, which I fully realise any snowflakes here might also chose to take offence at.  

• Like 4