Good Summer For Visitors To The Norfolk Broads

Andrewcook

As this very long Hot Dry Summer condition is continuing I believe this has generated a load of visitors to the Norfolk Broads in 2022 as to the people on the Hiring and Private Boats alike. As to if and when Griff does go it always Rains as this may not be case this time when he goes on the Broads it will be a scorcher for this month August 2022  All this should make up for the lost revenue for the Boating Industry was lost from the Covid 19 lockdown now gone thank goodness all this should improve for every one in 2023 I hope? As things have already started to improve on Petrol & Diesel prices coming down all this is going in the right direction upon getting the inflation down.

5 minutes ago, grendel said:

unfortunately, Covid 19 hasnt gone away, the effects are less, and its no longer as deadly as it has been, (thanks to the vaccination programme,) but its still possible to catch it, and still wise to take precautions.

I can attest for that! Mind you, I'm glad I've got Covid out of the way before the Beccles Wooden Boat Show.

I think the boatyards have already made up their losses from 2020, due to the rammed seasons from July 2020 and most of last year. Prices also rose last year. Covid could well strike again should a deadlier variant arrive, but I think the real dampener to businesses afloat and ashore, will be the soaring inflation we're suffering at the moment. Forecasts of 15% inflation, the energy cap being increased both in October and in January and a commodity limiting war in the Ukraine are all affecting our discretionary spend. Unemployment will follow. Something has to give. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

It's very noticeable how much extra we are spending on fuel anyway. Our fuel was £1.55 per litre when we had a week in May and £1.80 in July - both fuel from Boulter's. 

My first fill up just after buying my boat was 31.5p per litre. Seemed like it was going to be such a cheap hobby.:default_biggrin:

• Haha 3

Perhaps the ramping up of prices that happened last year is rebounding this year. I'm sure a lot of people are desperate to travel abroad again. I think some people are being priced out of a Broads holiday - or priced out of the boats they would like anyway. Not everyone is attracted to a holiday on the more reasonably priced boats. 

Wroxham and Hoveton were jammed up with traffic when I drove through about 12.15. Long queues to the double roundabout as well as over the bridge. Changeover day in the height of the holiday season. And probably plenty of day trippers about. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Just normal for Wroxham over the summer school holidays I am afraid! Been like that for as long as I can remember - best thing to do is just stay away from it!!!!!

I can understand why you say that but the Broads wouldn't be the Broads without Wroxham and all it's foibles. I love visiting there.

• Like 2

Hi as Grendel has said Covid19 has not disappeared altogether very true as to this very long Hot Dry Spell has done the whole of Norfolk good with visitors, with Holiday Booking up in Holiday Lodges / Caravans and Boat Hiring and Private on the Broads for 2022 but will this be the same in 2023 including the Holiday Industry due to Inflation and recession looming upon us sooner than later.

14 hours ago, SwanR said:

Wroxham and Hoveton were jammed up with traffic when I drove through about 12.15. Long queues to the double roundabout as well as over the bridge. Changeover day in the height of the holiday season. And probably plenty of day trippers about. 

Had to go to Hoveton and Horning on Thursday.  Queued from Roy’s Garage to get in at 10:00 and by the time I’d done what I needed to and was leaving Wroxham at about 11:45, traffic was queuing a couple of hundred yards beyond the skew bridge, trying to get in.

• Thanks 1

This time of year, when coming home from Norwich from work, I look at the traffic sensors online before leaving. I almost never use the Wroxham Norwich road till after the schools go back.

Coltishall road more likely, Frettenham occasionally.