R.I.P Sandy

ChrisB

• grendel changed the title to R.I.P Sandy

I have such fond memories of her music, back in the late 60s, when I was young and in love!

The papers make hardly any mention of her long and close association with the The Shadows.  She was discovered by Cliff Richard as the singer for a little-known group and was his only other known girlfriend, before Sue Barker.

Unfortunately she was "nicked" off him by Bruce Welch, who was closely involved in producing her early albums, most of which are backed by The Shadows.  It was a long friendship too!  Her famous solo song in "Grease", hopelessly devoted to you, was written by John Farrar of the Shadows and several of her songs in the film are backed by Bruce Welch and Hank Marvin.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

The music from Grease was the first interest my daughter showed in pop music,  denoting her passing from childhood to teenager! I remember she had her record  player set to repeat playing "You're the one that I want" at full blast  Which left me hammering on her bedroom door pleading for a change of record!

Carole

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yet another of the voices I grew up with, and the faces which adorned my bedroom wall as a kid now gone from us. Such is the turning wheel of time, and so far has it turned, that it seems an almost weekly occurrence these days. Bernard Cribbins, one of my favourite entertainers and a staple of children's tv from my formative years, passed a couple of weeks ago.

I could add others, Meatloaf certainly. I look to the here and now and think where are the next generation of these artists and quite simply, they are not there. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ExSurveyor said:

Z list celebs from Hate Island and other non entities that last for 15 minutes.

That's a bit unfair. I'm sure younger generations remember the people they used to admire as teens too. Even now there are people out there with talent. It's not just empty headed celebs.

I lost interest in 'pop' music when I was about 15 (1975), then got reconnected when I start visiting Graham in Loughborough when he was at Uni there (1979-83). The Student Union there had a great line up of concerts. I remember going to see Hazel O'Connor, The Jam, Madness etc. Happy days. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Paul said:

that it seems an almost weekly occurrence these days. Bernard Cribbins, one of my favourite entertainers and a staple of children's tv from my formative years, passed a couple of weeks ago.

And Judith Durham of the Seekers, who died only a couple of days ago.  Another one with the voice of an angel, who sang about how we all felt, as teenagers growing into adults.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Find it quite funny how facts and memories vary of the Olivia & Cliff thing or non thing.

I met Cliff Richard on one or two occasions, on the Broads, as he had a private cruiser built for him by Jenners of Thorpe, in about 1965, if I remember right.  OBB please leap to correct me on the date if you know better.  I met him at the launching ceremony and a couple of other times in the next years on the Broads, on one occasion while strolling down Lower St. in Horning doing his shopping.  Everyone knew who he was but everyone just wished him good morning in the normal way.  Norfolk country people have always been like that with visiting pop stars and celebs.  They treat them as they find them and respect their wish to come and relax in the peace of the Norfolk Broads, as "the rest of us" all do.

What I know of the "Cliff and Olivia" story comes from what I heard several years ago, recounted by Bruce Welch in a TV interview.  Other sources are available.

I suppose the romantic in me has always wondered whether Olivia was the love that he lost, at a young age, and never found another.

• Like 1

I remember The Seekers singing "I am Australian" at the MCG. To hear Judith Durham's voice come in solo on the second verse is magical on what must be one of the most beautiful national pride songs (from a poem) ever written.

She will be honoured with a Victoria State Funeral.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ChrisB said:

I remember The Seekers singing "I am Australian" at the MCG. To hear Judith Durham's voice come in solo on the second verse is magical on what must be one of the most beautiful national pride songs (from a poem) ever written.

She will be honoured with a Victoria State Funeral.

In the full version her solo is atually verse 3. In a similar vein to "All things bright and beautiful" where verse 3 is mostly omitted, the true verse 2 of "I am Australian" is.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I met Cliff Richard on one or two occasions, on the Broads, as he had a private cruiser built for him by Jenners of Thorpe, in about 1965, if I remember right.  OBB please leap to correct me on the date if you know better.  I met him at the launching ceremony and a couple of other times in the next years on the Broads, on one occasion while strolling down Lower St. in Horning doing his shopping.  Everyone knew who he was but everyone just wished him good morning in the normal way.  Norfolk country people have always been like that with visiting pop stars and celebs.  They treat them as they find them and respect their wish to come and relax in the peace of the Norfolk Broads, as "the rest of us" all do.

What I know of the "Cliff and Olivia" story comes from what I heard several years ago, recounted by Bruce Welch in a TV interview.  Other sources are available.

I suppose the romantic in me has always wondered whether Olivia was the love that he lost, at a young age, and never found another.

Vaughan, what on earth makes you think I would know the year better than you!

Following links about her cancer the day her death was announced I did find a story where Cliff says that he met ON-J at a party when she was the girlfriend of Bruce Welch and how the two of them hit it off to become friends with ON-J and another girl going on a tour as backing singers and practical jokes being played on each other. The story ends with Cliff saying to be seen to be in a relationship with a women at that time would of been damaging to his career.

I can tell a tale about being in the same pub as George Harrison one evening when a couple walked in asking about him and nobody let on that he sitting in a corner of the bar supping a pint. 

Opps, I just have! :default_rofl:

25 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Vaughan, what on earth makes you think I would know the year better than you!

Following links about her cancer the day her death was announced I did find a story where Cliff says that he met ON-J at a party when she was the girlfriend of Bruce Welch and how the two of them hit it off to become friends with ON-J and another girl going on a tour as backing singers and practical jokes being played on each other. The story ends with Cliff saying to be seen to be in a relationship with a women at that time would of been damaging to his career.

I can tell a tale about being in the same pub as George Harrison one evening when a couple walked in asking about him and nobody let on that he sitting in a corner of the bar supping a pint. 

Opps, I just have! :default_rofl:

The St George & Dragon or the Bull?

There is another pub in Wargrave but I can't remember it's name, I don't know the village that well except I sold a boat at the auctions they used to hold and an old friend kept hisboat at Val Wyatts, i crewed for him quite a bit. It was Alan who tpld me that George Harrison used to walk around the place.