Haddiscoe Boat Raised

ScrumpyCheddar

Well, I would like to know exactly which boat it was because if I was to hire from that yard, next year, that is the boat I would want!

A new boat at old boat prices, unless they charge more for that one than others in the class.

Ps. I do know but T&Cs say I am not allowed to know!

paul

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the hull damage (Without showing the name of the boat that the whole world now knows) just for nosiness'Β sake.Β  It'll be bigger than the bilge pump skin fitting outlet that's for sure. (Assuming the bilge pump was operational)

Best bilge pump in the world?

A man with a bucket in a sinking boat

Griff

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Not quite sure how woods building team is set up. But wouldn't this be a good project for your apprentices to work on over the winter. Stick the boat in a corner of a shed somewhere on the yard and let them work through the re fitting. Plenty of time between now and the new season.Β 

19 minutes ago, andyg said:

Not quite sure how woods building team is set up. But wouldn't this be a good project for your apprentices to work on over the winter. Stick the boat in a corner of a shed somewhere on the yard and let them work through the re fitting. Plenty of time between now and the new season.Β 

Hi Andy I think that’s too much speculation for the forum 🀣

Β 

a good idea though !Β 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the hull damage (Without showing the name of the boat that the whole world now knows) just for nosiness'Β sake.Β  It'll be bigger than the bilge pump skin fitting outlet that's for sure. (Assuming the bilge pump was operational)

Best bilge pump in the world?

A man with a bucket in a sinking boat

Griff

:default_biggrin:Β When I was young - a long time ago now - my dad had a 32foot open boat that was on a semi floating mooring off of Herne Bay.Β  He had agreed to loan it to one of his 'mates' to go fishing.Β  I was tasked to row said mate, 2 batteries, ten gallons of diesel and other bits out to the now floating boat in a small pram dinghy.Β  I suggested we make two trips but he knew better!Β  About mid way water started to come over the transom.Β  He moved nearer the center of the boat but we started to sink slowly.Β  I will never forget him taking off one of his new suede shoes and trying to bale the boat out.Β  We sunk and he started to panic.Β  Fortunately we were only in about 30 inches of water and walked back to shore!Β  The dinghy was recovered at the next low tide.Β  One of my unforgetable memories in life.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

I'm guessing the original hole was much smaller, and they have enlarged it to make a good repair ?

Β 

I'm guessing the slice at the bottom is the damage and the bit above has pushed in/out and cracked hence chopped out, I doubt the hull work will take long but as said the fitout is where the worst damage is, wiring will depend on how long the isolators were left on while underwater, wiring dries but if powered up with 12vdc while submerged in brackish water it soon fizzes away through electroysis.

Engines are ok if not running when submerged as long as they are dealt with as soon as lifted when the air gets back in.

It’s quite shocking how thin the hulls are on these boats.. it does make you think now brushing to close to the banks..

That’s a fair size hole ... Great but shocking pics Thanks Griff for showing them πŸ‘πŸ‘

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Repairs well underwayΒ 

Griff

Β 

E6E33A50-8120-4367-8A51-EB0BD9A1271E.jpeg

1FA2517F-9257-4145-9410-5663DE866AFE.jpeg

Β 

Griff you really should know better than to post those pictures.Β :default_icon_e_surprised:

Seriously though. The hull of a , I am trying hard not to identify the boat, on a boat that age and from that era will be laid up much thicker than a later one.

My first Plastic Fantastic was a Calypso and to use a nautical term was built like a brick outhouse. Mid 70's build.

My 2 subsequent boats have both been 1990' s era and are not laid up anywhere near as strongly. A berth neighbor decided to fit an echo sounder to his boat when it was out of the water and showed me the plug he had drilled in the bottom.

It was almost an inch thick. This was a DC 30 so I am guessing late 60's early 70's.

7 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

I must admit, I know the hulls etc come out of moulds but I didn't realise just how thin that hull isΒ :default_ohmy:Β makes me wonder how thick the hulls are on the GRP boats that go out to sea, coastal or otherwise?

Chris

Believe that is all about the class of the boat when built, different classes to different standards.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Believe that is all about the class of the boat when built, different classes to different standards.

Β 

I believe that when the first GRP Boats were laid up no one really understood how strong GRP really is so went overboard and laid them up really heavily. Later on when there was a better understanding of the properties of GRP they then did a lighter lay up.

As OBB said earlier it is more to do with the age than anything else.

I have heard that with some modern boats you can see sunlight through the hulls in certain places. My 1990's boat is nowhere near as thickly laid up as a previous 1970's boat although in certain areas is very strong.

Hire boat builders are not stupid so they will lay up heavier on vulnerable places like the bows and quarters as they do take a bit of a bashing. Whereas the sides will not be so thick as they are not so vulnerable.

It's simple economic at the end of the day.

At the peril of boring some folk .

An Ice Breaker will be super strong at the bow and the stern but not so strong on its sides.

It will however have massive engines.

Some of the biggest are Russian and are Nuclear Powered.

Not sure if the Americans or the Canadians are still running their Nuclear Ice BreakersΒ 

9 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

Β 

I believe that when the first GRP Boats were laid up no one really understood how strong GRP really is so went overboard and laid them up really heavily. Later on when there was a better understanding of the properties of GRP they then did a lighter lay up.

As OBB said earlier it is more to do with the age than anything else.

Β 

Im afraid you misunderstood, my belief is that now all boats are built to standards (classes) based on their intended use. So a sea going boat is built to a different standard than that of an inland river boat.

Then again I could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Im afraid you misunderstood, my belief is that now all boats are built to standards (classes) based on their intended use. So a sea going boat is built to a different standard than that of an inland river boat.

Then again I could be wrong.

No you are quite correct.

It was me that misunderstood youΒ :default_dunce:

Must learn not to scan read.:default_dunce:

• Thanks 1

I think the MCA classes are more to do with stability in different conditions than brute strength but that will come into it too, I looked at a weston 670 years ago and lifted a locker top in the cabin and could clearly see ripples on the water outside as the sun reflected off it through the grp, my old norman 25 (late 60's) was about 12mm thick in places which was lucky when someone managed to do a full 90 degree T bone job on it.

Β 

3 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I think the MCA classes are more to do with stability in different conditions than brute strength but that will come into it too, I looked at a weston 670 years ago and lifted a locker top in the cabin and could clearly see ripples on the water outside as the sun reflected off it through the grp, my old norman 25 (late 60's) was about 12mm thick in places which was lucky when someone managed to do a full 90 degree T bone job on it.

Β 

Had to read that twice - 670 years ago? Β Did they have GRP then?

Doh! Β :default_coat:

Relatively straightforward repair tbh as long as theres good access inside, I've seen far worse. Can't imagine that will take to long. A few heat lamps to help the curing process. I would imagine there aim is to just make her water tight and get her back to potter. Will be interesting to see what happens to her, personally I don't think she will be retired these boats are some of the most popular Centre cockpit cruiser on hire. Nice moden upgrade would be good maybe re name her and put her back to work all shinny and newish..