News On Pozzick and Seren

YnysMon

3 minutes ago, kpnut said:

I thought there’d be lots of fur to brush. My friend has an Alaskan malamute with a double coat like his. Looks really cosy in the winter. 

The only really thick bits at the moment are the fur on his head, neck and tail, but he does look like he’s been very undernourished, so maybe that’s affected his coat. Maybe the hot summer had something to do with it too. 

Bit late to the party with this thread!  I was in Milton Keynes for much of the day , carrying out some tasks which I hadn’t been looking forward to.

We don’t have a cage for Harley.  She has the run of the bungalow at night and although she has a bed in the dining room, usually sleeps at the foot of the bed, facing the door.  We can’t be certain, but think it’s her way of being first to greet a burglar, should we ever get broken in to. :55c8f94984577_default_AnimatedGifDogs(127):
That said, the burglar would probably be safer with our Harley, than with our son’s dog Simba, who’d try to get too friendly with a potential burglar’s leg.

Here’s a photo of the pair of them taken on holiday in France about 7 years ago.

7585CB2C-ADD9-4F13-844F-BBF9D938C0AF.jpeg

• Like 6

When I was a child  we had a  golden Springer Spaniel  named Skipper who we got as a rescue dog. He was in very poor condition when we acquired him needing eye surgery and with galloping mange. He used to sit in his basket looking such a pathetic  sight that the cat used to stalk  past him pausing to eye him with total contempt. However after careful nursing by my mum he grew into a  magnificent dog. I found I could get away with murder as there was no question of me ever getting a clip round the ear for naughtiness as he would have killed anyone who even looked as if they posed a threat to me.  He had a quirk that if anyone came into the house  uninvited he would let them in passively  but woe betide them if they atttempted to leave!  My parents decided to find him a new home after 2-3 years as he hated to be left and we were all out all day and he was slowly  eating his  way through all the doors in the house. So he went to live in a pub where  the landlady absolutely  adored  him and he lived the life of O'Reilly,with someone employed to  walk him daily and  a diet of best steak. He caught and detained 2 burglars while he was there, again giving no indication of his presence till they tried to leave with their "Swag".

Carole

• Like 2

1 hour ago, addicted said:

He had a quirk that if anyone came into the house  uninvited he would let them in passively  but woe betide them if they atttempted to leave!

We had a dog like that when I was a mere sprog, a few times we'd get home to find someone who'd popped round and had to sit and wait till we returned to get out (we never locked the front door and most folk we knew just walked in), when my old man took him in his lorry his boss got in unannounced and got bitten, for that my old man got a pay rise to cover the guard dogs food, no one was nicking that lorry!

• Haha 3

The crate thing didn’t go well yesterday evening. After a while, as he obviously wasn’t settling, I took my pillows and a sleeping bag downstairs, let him out of the crate and settled myself on the sofa. This was about 11.30 I think. After some pacing around the lounge and dining room (crates are in the latter, so I left the door open) he settled himself in the dog bed in the lounge that he’s been using during the day and both he and I had a very restful night.

We we’re later having our walk this morning, as it’s my non-working day and we first dropped Harry off at work. I have an ‘agile working’ arrangement where I work a 9-day working fortnight. The walk went fine again. Seren is too fixated on chasing her ball to play with other dogs, but Pozzick seems the opposite. He went to say hello to a tiny dog.

Photo from this morning to follow. I should have tried to take a photo of them running together, maybe another time. 

IMG_20221007_101448395_HDR.thumb.jpg.2f4c3c8abfef89f0e3405b2061d74ebd.jpg

This afternoon Pozzick got let out in (our trashed) garden off the lead for the first time and was fine. He was sniffing the air a lot.

IMG_20221007_134207148.thumb.jpg.813b4a21abc89bd61c44182987689d4e.jpg

Some forum members might remember me complaining that the contractors our insurance company sent in cut our hedge also chopped off an acer that I had in a pot (pictured). I'm pleased to say it's started sprouting little shoots. Good thing I didn't give up on it during the dry spell. 

• Like 5

Very pleased to hear about the acer,  Helen. 
Lovely photos. Seren is completely devoted isn’t she. 
And you can see Pozzick’s ribs while he’s standing there with his nose in the air. That’ll be a good reference photo as he puts on some condition. In lamb grading terms, he’s a 2. Some flesh but ribs felt as big too much. The aim for top condition is 3a. Nicely fleshed over ribs and just being able to feel spine. It goes 1 to 5 with a 3a and a 3b.
You can guess what a 5 is like! And unfortunately you’d know a 1 if you were to see it. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kpnut said:

r. That’ll be a good reference photo as he puts on some condition

We think he’s already put on some weight. You should have seen him when we rescued him, which is why the first thing Graham did after we got him onto Water Rail was to feed him.

Hes still behaving each mealtime as though he’s desperate for food and unsure if he’ll ever be fed again. 

• Sad 1

Dogs have always been an important part of my life, our families life.

Unfortunately my wife and I are of an age where we recognise the responsibility of having a dog. Financial, which has to be taken into consideration. Training, Food, vets bills, medication, equipment, kennels when you wish to go away. 

Finally, TIME.

Time to walk your dog. So important. This quality time dictates the relationship between you and your dog. Make use of it.

And finally The Broads. The woods, the marshes, the reed beds, dykes and bogs. They look very attractive from your boat. In reality they are a hostile place. At dusk, as night  closes a formidable place.

Your dog off lead will be very vunerable.

It is not the local park. Do not treat as such.

Many dogs have been lost. Do take care.

If your dog is lost, heaven forbid,, make sure your dog is downwind from you. (Have I got that right), the wind from YOU to the DOG. It is so important, as is whistle training for your dog, it needs to smell you, hear you. Reed beds, woods are full of sounds to a dog. Your sound needs to dominate over all others.

The Norfolk beaches, idyllic. For dogs? But that is another story.

Andrew

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Hes still behaving each mealtime as though he’s desperate for food and unsure if he’ll ever be fed again. 

Tina still does that 3 years on, we're pretty sure she was in a pound and having to fight for the food given so can't hold that against her, but don't go too far on getting the weight up as rescues can pile it on very quickly and it's so much harder to get it back down.

Don't be too polite when people randomly give him lots of treats without asking first, it's my pet hate, you end up with a fat dog that is a scrounger, "just the one please" is polite enough, after that "try that outside a school with haribo and see how you get on" often gets the message across......

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

don't go too far on getting the weight up as rescues can pile it on very quickly a

Graham has worked out how much food he needs and has posted instructions up on the fridge exactly how many scoops of food each of the dogs have each mealtime (morning and evening). His parents had a collie when he was a child that ended up looking like a barrel, manly because Graham’s dad kept feeding her titbits each meal. So, Graham is very focussed on feeding the right amount. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi can tell me  if Pozzic needs to see the Vet keep an eye on his weight he's a right-bouncy cheerful Dog he will be looking nice Dog once again with the loving care and attention he's getting.

We’ll be keeping an eye on his weight! Currently he’s having rather too many snacks, but that will ease off as he settles in and looks less underweight.

Pozzick and I accompanied Seren and Graham to the weekly agility class this morning. The classes are held in a field near the Bedfordshire village of Lavenham. It was such a beautiful morning with many of the trees just turning colour and warm sunshine. I left my phone at home to charge, so no photos unfortunately.

Pozzick behaved impeccably and watched the other dogs doing their stuff. It’s a fairly advanced class so he couldn’t join in, but we hope to be able to sign him up for beginners classes before too long. Not this month though, as we have had quite a lot of additional expenditure as it is. 

• Like 6

A quiet day today.

I was out all morning as I played the organ in two churches this morning. Both very welcoming. 

Anyways…back to Pozzick and Seren. Graham did the sofa stint last night. Mealtimes today were a lot less noisy. Pozzick did vocalise (whine) a bit, but Seren didn’t bark as he was really good and stayed sitting. I did remind Seren that she was supposed to be sitting too.

I wonder how things are this evening? Graham has taken both them with him as he is intending taking both of them for a walk whilst Harry is at band practise. 

Yes, we are trying our best to remind Seren that she’s still loved. Graham’s comment this evening after walking both dogs was that it went okay but not to training class standards (as if it would!).

Pozzick is getting more confident. He actually raised a paw (gently) to deter Seren this evening and he started playing with one of her tennis toy balls. That threw her, until we nudged another toy in her direction. 

• Like 3

Hi as this week has flown by quick is Pozzic getting on going into his Cage at night time . Is pozzic doing all right slowly with weight? Hows is his Coat coming along nice and shiny is he ready for his winter Coat soon. Just for interest when will you all be going away on the Broads