River Ice - Dec 2022 Into Early 2023

BroadAmbition

I thought it would be handy for those that are out on or by the rivers to keep forumites updated with the state of the rivers so anyone planning to be afloat can do so without fear of damaging their boats or getting stuck

I've been receiving reports from other boaters that are out on the rivers over the past week or so.

The latest one from today is that exiting the wetshed at Stalham is not possible due to the thickness of the river ice outside the wetshed

My next time planned to be onboard is not till second week in January for a long weekend.  I intend to take 'B.A' out of the shed IF and only IF there is no river ice present

Griff

• Like 4

I’m hoping it’s going to be above freezing temperatures the first two weeks of January! If it is freezing or very windy we will stay in our Marina and explore Norfolk and Suffolk by car. Lots of places to visit, so it won’t be a hardship, though I’d prefer to be cruising any day. 

• Like 2

Kpnut kindly sent me a photo today from Richardsons side looking over to Broadsedge where we moor and ice was across the river. We are going to check on Luna on Friday so will report in. We dont plan on going out even if the ice has gone. Cant risk being trapped somewhere so close to Christmas! 

At Richardsons ‘junction’. 

A9CE5727-5623-4EDA-A0E7-E9B1C199AD83.thumb.jpeg.e15dc9043f2dec13719c8b9efdcdc11b.jpeg

And up the private boat dyke towards Stalham Staithe and Simpsons. 
75337B40-5492-4113-9B8C-9124DD4FAAD1.thumb.jpeg.23b2298002cedc68201cbe216f2e0ae8.jpeg

The ice was cracking on its own as I took the picture about 8.45 this morning and the air started to warm up. But this afternoon was colder again. 
Just before bed, it did seem warmer out there again. 
I turned the heater off early this evening too as it didn’t seem to need it.
Next bulletin tomorrow morning!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Endorse Griff comments about not going through ice. We are hopefully being very careful and sticking to the main rivers. Problem is when you get sustained cold weather, that's when the ice builds up. I'm thinking back to 2010 when we had a prolonged cold spell. The beast from the east was bad but didn't go on for such a sustained period. Will see how we go tomorrow! 

I did wonder about this. Yesterday morning I had a temperature of -4.1C in the boat, today it's warmed up a bit to -3.1C. Bilge heaters on.

I imagine there must be ice in the marina (Brundal Gardens) but probably not on the Yare itself. I've asked the question on the marina FB page. I have little experience of this but is it possible chunks of ice could get into the main river?

7 minutes ago, floydraser said:

I did wonder about this. Yesterday morning I had a temperature of -4.1C in the boat, today it's warmed up a bit to -3.1C. Bilge heaters on.

I imagine there must be ice in the marina (Brundal Gardens) but probably not on the Yare itself. I've asked the question on the marina FB page. I have little experience of this but is it possible chunks of ice could get into the main river?

I called into Swancraft on Monday to talk to Paul about work on Norfolk Lady, which is now out of the water and in his shed.  At the time, Hobrough’s Dyke hadn’t been affected by ice.  It may be different by now of course, but the weather (according to Willy) is indicating an increase in temperatures from the weekend.  Hopefully, if any does form, it won’t last too long.

4971593F-3FB9-4442-9548-BFB6320B1892.thumb.jpeg.a67cbf0ba853ee8cfb00651c405bb61c.jpeg

This morning I took a walk around the yard at Richardsons. 
First I heard what sounded like a very rough engine, then saw Hercules coming up Swan Quay, breaking up the ice. It makes an almighty noise, all that crunching of ice in front of the bow. 
4FDDB525-5795-4F73-BE69-C421B8B6A986.thumb.jpeg.33542197d37ea7fb9552be10396cd7f8.jpeg

Then I took some photos from the same place as yesterday, seems abut the same. 

D17F8969-574F-4E3C-964A-CA0CC1B684B1.thumb.jpeg.c43870fdf72907077e3c935377c5f5cc.jpeg

37BDB5CA-1B5F-4736-BDC9-393DE130B6D0.thumb.jpeg.8302ba126fede5287737b0c919f687e9.jpeg

This one looking up towards the hire boat basins and the wet shed  Hercules has smashed the ice outside the wet shed, but there’s just big slabs of it floating about, Griff. 

Lulu, I’d say, come to the boat to put your mind at rest, you’ll be nice and warm on board, but don’t plan to go out this weekend as there’ll probably be slabs of ice around. 

Going out in the car at 9.30, my car gauge read -1C, but now the sun’s out nicely and it rose to +1C, but nowhere near enough to melt the river. 
I’ve now moved to plan B.

Reading the forecast over the last few days and expecting the temperatures to be on the rise by now, my Plan A was an overnight trip down the Ant with a stop off tomorrow morning for pump out and diesel at Ludham Bridge on my way back. And partially winterise the boat before leaving on Friday. 

Now it’ll just be get a few more little jobs done today, part winterise and move off tomorrow. I gain an extra day in Sussex for clearing mum’s house so no big deal. 

Another week of learning-this time, how to read the river conditions in relation to not wrecking the boat! Sitting at home and reading the forecast, I’d have never thought the river would be frozen. How naïve!

• Like 4

Using Hercules to break up ice is all very well, however I’m relieved we’re not berthed in those areas, breaking up ice using this method works, but it also shoves great sheets of ice onto a boats hull at the waterline. I hope he didn’t go near the wetshed entrance 

Griff

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

shoves great sheets of ice onto a boats hull at the waterline. I hope he didn’t go near the wetshed entrance 

Didn’t think of that. He came down from kingfisher and turned into the river, so not too near, then up both of the other hireboat quays. Only their own boats up there. 

34 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Using Hercules to break up ice is all very well, however I’m relieved we’re not berthed in those areas, breaking up ice using this method works, but it also shoves great sheets of ice onto a boats hull at the waterline. I hope he didn’t go near the wetshed entrance 

Griff

My thoughts too, and then shoving sheets of ice into the river flow where the casual boater may not see them. Enless they have Kate Winslett as lookout. :default_jumelles:

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

Unfortunately M8 I think they were trying to get a boat onto Big Foot at the Ponder Rosa so that may be what Hercules was doing braking the ice. I heard a boat making its way in the Kingfisher basin and caught a glimpse of it while walking the hooligan. 

I did then have a look outside the wet shed for you and it did initially seem to be broken ice which gave me some encouragement for the possibility of getting my boat home today but closer inspection revealed that it had been broken.

I did not see Hercules underway but did hear some manoeuvring.

• Thanks 1