3 Rivers Race 2023

TheQ

44 minutes ago, Wussername said:

I cant see how it would work. It would identify where a boat was positioned on the Broads but how does the spectator factor in the handicap factor.

Clicking on the boat name brings up

BMap7.jpg.4e5e95a34c65e8ad8c15abdac0dad807.jpg

The details are editable in the software to give info

Bmap6.thumb.png.d9d1608703f554adfe31d5e278c1bcd1.png

Well.....I can't speak for you guys, but never over egg a pudding.

The Three Rivers is for me anyway is one of the most exciting sailing events in Norfolk. A spectacular event which can only be experienced, as a spectator from so many vantage points.

A unique event. Enjoyed with a glass of sparkling Prosecco or perhaps a glass of a vintage Blanc de Blanc.

Never, ever, over a computer screen.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just had the post race meeting, they are going to investigate putting the race matrix online live for next year, and also investigate getting that phone app to track competitors. There may be a trial next year to see if the app works on the broads and to see if people's phones will last the 24 hours plus needed for the race..

Generally good comments all round from spectators, race officials, and competitors.

• Thanks 1

On 07/06/2023 at 17:34, Wussername said:

A unique event. Enjoyed with a glass of sparkling Prosecco or perhaps a glass of a vintage Blanc de Blanc.

Never, ever, over a computer screen.

You have to be there to witness scenes such as this!

20230603_131032.thumb.jpg.0f343fb48c9c77cc0c023a46306bd417.jpg20230603_132446.thumb.jpg.7f05beae37aaeaacc81e9e9b43467c8a.jpg

• Like 4

Astounding!

An excellent record which brings out all the feel and atmosphere of the race.

I don't think I have seen a film as well made as that about Broads sailing since an Anglia TV crew made a film called "Ebb Tide from Coldham Hall" about the Yare Navigation Race, in about 1978.

And what about  the seamanship??  I was pretty sure the Cruiser India must have "shot" the bridges without stopping to moor, but I never imagined that Ladybird would as well!  That film of her going under Acle with the tide under her is quite heart-stopping. The mainsail still coming down when she was only a boat's length from the bridge.

To handle a big Bermudan racing rig like that, is boat handling of the very highest order.

Thanks very much for posting, Liz.

• Like 4

Thank you so much for posting the video, absolutely loved it. The skill of the crews is amazing.

I showed my boys and they now want to hire a flappy thingy. My goodness, can you imagine that, I have trouble with a boat that's got an engine :default_biggrin: x

3 hours ago, Gracie said:

Thank you so much for posting the video, absolutely loved it. The skill of the crews is amazing.

I showed my boys and they now want to hire a flappy thingy. My goodness, can you imagine that, I have trouble with a boat that's got an engine :default_biggrin: x

Take them on a sailing taster. Hunters Yard and Eastwood Whelpton offer them.

https://huntersyard.co.uk/our-skippered-sails/

https://www.eastwood-whelpton.co.uk/experiences/sailing-days-out/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/06/2023 at 19:25, YnysMon said:

On 12/06/2023 at 15:38, Gracie said:

Every year most sailing clubs have a " try sailing day" day, Horning SC https://www.horning-sailing.club/ has one normally in May each year. Often in conjunction with The Horning boat show (May 4th 2024,)

Haversham SC https://www.havershamsc.org/ on the northern edge of MK also has them ( some years ago I was on the committee)

Alternatively Horning Sailing Club has a sailing School. Getting in contact with sailing school could get them out on the water. Due to broads regulations, they can only learn to sail aged 8 or above.

• Thanks 1

On 12/06/2023 at 15:47, BrundallNavy said:

A bit of cheating going on at Potter I see. Great video though. 

?

Due to the nature of the race, from the Herbert woods footbridge, to a sign up river of Heigham new Bridge, paddling, quanting, pushing off the bridge and other methods of human propulsion are allowed in the sailing instructions. What's not allowed is pulling along the bank except to push the boat out again.

The same at Acle bridge, you are especially not allowed to use the tiny embankment under the bridge to pull along from there. Also at Acle you are forbidden to capsize a dinghy to float through without dropping your mast.

Also by tradition the dropping of pre arranged packets of fish and chips to the crew from the nearby chippys is also allowed, though that's less common than it used to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/06/2023 at 08:55, Vaughan said:

...an Anglia TV crew made a film called "Ebb Tide from Coldham Hall" about the Yare Navigation Race, in about 1978....

I don’t suppose it’s in the ether? I have tried googling but if anyone has a link I’d love to see it. If not was it the year when competitors got fogged in, in which case visibility might have been poor anyway (jib stick in cheek...

• Like 1

It was before the foggy year, if I remember, when the race was still fairly new.  It was made on behalf of Anglia by a film crew run by Tim Child, who was then the owner of Cruiser No 1, White Wings.  It was his work, with the Coldham Hall Sailing Club, that created the race.

• Like 2

On 15/06/2023 at 18:01, Bertie1972 said:

Really enjoyed the video!

Is there by any chance a version in which with the speeded up sections are shown at normal speed?

(I know I could slow YouTube just for those parts, but thought I'd ask...)

The video is a compilation of stuff submitted to the guy who runs " Home video transfer" plus his own filming.

Some of the clips are on YouTube or elsewhere posted by the original video taker.

You would have to contact him for a non speeded up version.