River Yare Closed At Haven Bridge

12 minutes ago, Meantime said:

For crying out loud Vaughan, are you going to quote, dissect and try and correct every post I make?

Yes, I think you are probably quite right.  Please excuse me.

It is perhaps because I have become accustomed in the last few years, to your dissection of what I say, in my experience, about the hire boat business.

The Police have just said that water used during the process to defuse the bomb has weakened the 400 ton sand barrier, so work has stopped whilst the sand barrier is strengthened again. Then work on defusing the bomb will begin again. I assume the cutting tool on the robot must be water cooled.

4 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

I have mentioned on another thread that at the moment I am laid up with my back out. Nothing to do but grin and bear it until the inflammation goes down.😫 Old seagoing injury that flares up now and again.

Now as many of you know I do have issues with the way we are not allowed to voice some views on here as they are deemed too much for a public discussion forum. I have always disagreed with this and the early controversy on this thread highlights that fact . I did not make my feelings known.

As I have had nothing to do for the last couple of days I have been looking at a Seagoing Forum and have been reading some threads related to a  former company I worked for. The forum is populated by current and former seagoing staff and obviously that particular one by current and former company employees.

One thread was about a fatal accident that had only just happened ( there are many about ones that happened in the past). Obviously members discussed possible causes of the accident where a Young Man died in the pump room of a tanker. There was much speculation about what he was doing in there alone and at the time it was not clear if death had been due to being overcome by gas or it had been a fall . There was much discussion about Pump Room safety and could there be measures put in place to prevent this accident in future. Unfortunately this young man is not the first or probably the last person to die in a Pump Room of a Tanker. 

Around 20 posts into the discussion there appeared one from The Mother of the unfortunate young man IIRC 20 years old. She was disgusted that people could be so callous in discussing his death and even inferring that he may have been partly to blame. 

That was not IMHO the drift of the thread but of course it was a possibility that he had made an unauthorized entry into a hazardous space.

What I am getting at is that bereaved families will scour the internet looking for information and will jump on every little piece of information available. This grieving Mother had stumbled on a Professional Mariners forum and found a lot of speculation based on very little facts but the incident was being discussed with a view to improving safety.

It makes me reconsider my postings on The Fatal Accident at GTY . Although my feelings about a systematic cavalier attitude to safety have not changed I will be more guarded in my postings in future.

An excellent post. It does put things into perspective. There’s a temptation on forums like this to assume we are ‘in a closed room’.

• Like 2

I would imagine that cutter runs pretty slowly as well needing to be cooled/lubed, I seem to recall the method often used on WW2 stuff to be cut two holes then flush or disolve the main bulk of explosive out of the casing, then deal with the detonators/fuses which are not to be messed with on their own even when the explosive is gone.

I doubt the "fire a stick at it" would work on a cased WW2 bomb, the likes of the ira didn't need a sturdy case for theirs.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Meantime said:

The Police have just said that water used during the process to defuse the bomb has weakened the 400 ton sand barrier, so work has stopped whilst the sand barrier is strengthened again. Then work on defusing the bomb will begin again. I assume the cutting tool on the robot must be water cooled.

Washing out the explosives presumably

The latest update from the Police is

"We're hopeful a significant part of the operation will be finished today and we will keep the public updated"

Looks like at least another night away from home for many, although it looks like the council are now planning to offer overnight accommodation rather than just the shelters they've been using.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, grendel said:

possibly using a water jet to do the cutting, it inherently causes no sparks, not a tool they had at their disposal during the war.

I dealt with a company that could 6" thick stainless steel with a water jet, not something to get in the way of.

But would be quite high impact for the explosive inside.

1 hour ago, Meantime said:

My guess would be that they assumed it would only be one night and the shelters would do, then one delay led to another unforeseen delay and before you know it, you've got a whole group of people who have now spent three nights in shelter.

During which time, they are still alive and very well protected.

25 minutes ago, Meantime said:

According to the EDP it was an unplanned detonation, but all army and emergency service personnel have been accounted for.

As well as ALL the residents and property owners of Yarmouth Southtown.

My heartiest congratulations to Royal Engineers Bomb Disposal for once again putting their lives "up front" .

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Roy said:

Well said considering they are grown men they should know better. 

Oi! I'm a grown man and I don't know better I'll have you know, don't knock it till you've tried it... :default_biggrin:

An impressive bang and glad to hear all people safe and no major property damage,  wouldn't be surprised if a few windows have suffered though.

At least pepes can get home tonight.