River Yare Closed At Haven Bridge

Dear all,

Due to an ongoing incident involving a suspected unexploded bomb near Bollard Quay in Great Yarmouth, the River Yare is currently closed to river traffic between Haven Bridge and the North Sea.

A cordon is currently in place restricting access to the nearby area. Police have urged members of the public to avoid the location.

An Explosive Ordinance Device team is currently on-site investigating. We will issue any further updates in due course.

Best

Tom

Tom Waterfall

Senior Communications Officer

Direct dial 01603 756034

Broads Authority 

Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road, Norwich NR1 1RY

Please note that my normal working hours are 8.00am – 4.45pm Monday to Friday, with alternate Mondays as non-working days.

If I am out of the office I will deal with your email on my return, alternatively please contact another member of the Communications team.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, marshman said:

Local news now includes Cambridge and Northampton, such is the geography of the BBC's masters!!

If it were to detonate and its near the East harbour wall, GY will have a new and pretty large boating lake by the morning!!!!

Or at least a new inner harbour to sister the outer.

The EDP have just said that Bomb Disposal say it is too dangerous to move, so they are building a sand wall around it before blowing it up on site. They have already shifted about 400 tons of sand, apparently.  Police have announced a major incident.

Should be interesting!

As for other members' comments on improvements to the GY area, I can't help thinking of Sir John Betjeman :

Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough :

It isn't fit for humans now.

10 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Its very worrying for those that live and work in that area.Lets hope that it's sorted out for them soon.

My thoughts exactly Ian. It's all very well making jokes about improvements to the area, but there are people who have had to find alternative accommodation last night, that may be worried about being faced with damage to their homes when they get back. Perhaps the time for jokes is after the bomb has been safely disposed off? Not exactly the caring friendly forum are we?

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Meantime said:

Perhaps the time for jokes is after the bomb has been safely disposed off? Not exactly the caring friendly forum are we?

My Mother in law used to tell us about all the bombing when she lived in Gorleston and had to be evacuated many times. 

Of course we feel for all those who are displaced and whose property may be in danger. But at least today with all the precautions, they are in no danger of their own lives.

During the war, their sense of humour was largely what saw them through.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Of course we feel for all those who are displaced and whose property may be in danger. But at least today with all the precautions, they are in no danger of their own lives.

During the war, their sense of humour was largely what saw them through.

That may be true of the people, but they and we cannot know yet what they may be gong back to after the bomb has been exploded. Don't forget it has been described as very unstable. Hopefully those who have been evacuated have homes to go back to.

Quote "

A resident, who does not wish to be named, went back to her home in the exclusion zone to gather more clothes and essentials.

She said: “ My family has spent the night at my mother-in-laws. We even had to get the cat out.

“It’s been very stressful, but we will be very glad to get home.

“We’ve been worried throughout the night, but obviously it’s best everyone is kept safe.”

I'm sure the jokes here though will be helping them through all their stress. :facepalm:

My Father fought and was injured in the Second World war, whilst my Mum along with the rest of her family experienced living in the East End of London during the war. So I know a good sense of humour helped them through the war, but it was mainly aimed at the Germans, not those worried about their own lives, or in this case their homes.

• Like 1

I assume they are insured?  During the war, they weren't.

I knew a lot of "ammo techs" when I was in the Army. They are very competent people who know exactly what they are dealing with.  I don't think the local population could be in better hands just now.

Aren't you over reacting, rather, to a little bit of black humour? 

19 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Whatever happened to this forum?

Or is Hylander right?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vaughan said:

Aren't you over reacting, rather, to a little bit of black humour? 

My Mother used to say, there's a time and a place for larking about, or joking.

I think that until the bomb has been safely disposed off with no loss of life or damage to peoples property or homes, then now is neither the time or the place to be joking about it.

3 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I assume they are insured?

I actually cannot believe you've said that! Insured or not, these are peoples homes and goods, that I'm sure they'd very much like to get back to with them intact.

4 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Or is Hylander right?

I wonder how Hylander might feel about the subject if the bomb was in a neighbour's back garden? There but for the grace of God and all that.

• Like 1