River Yare Closed At Haven Bridge

When the EDP say it is going to be exploded they should say, a contolled explosion, but that wouldn't make good headlines.

The bomb disposal guys do this type of work a lot and know how to deal with it.

I have always lived within the blast wave range of the SS Montgomery,  now that has the potential to cause a lot of damage. Not something most people give a second thought to but we have the same regular jokes aimed at Sheerness.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Black Humour - It's more generally a military thing

Onboard if someone's parents died the usual banter was - Jammy git - save a fortune on mothers/fathers day cards

That was one of the more milder comments too and just one example, there were many covering all sorts of scenarios far too much for some of the snowflakes in here so I won't be enlightening you

There was banter covering every topic known to man, most of it taking the urine out of some one / group.

If a shipmate died, there was banter selling / buying his kit to raise money for his family

Here's a gentle example:- Squad - Ho, all those with a mother take one pace forward. Smith! Where do you think your going? Your mum died last night,  Get yersen off home pronto.  I witnessed that at HMS Excellent in the 70's (His name wasn't Smith btw)

Another gentle example, we were alongside in Pompy expecting a new mess member to arrive in the evening.  Voice came down the hatch into the mess square asking - You got any n####s down there? No went the reply, well you got one now and down came 'Reggin' grinning his head off, (We nicknamed him 'Reggin', it was ages before he realised what it meant spelt backwards)

Did it do us any harm? make us mentally disturbed? were we hurt and needed a safe place? were we offended, did we run off reporting our hurt feelings to some sort of authority?

No of course not, we all gave as good as we got and just coped and got on wi it

Personally having 'Suffered' twenty four years of it and going on todays ethics / standards, I'm impressed I'm not permanently basket weaving in Rampton (Or maybe I am :default_norty: )

Griff

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I wonder how Hylander might feel about the subject if the bomb was in a neighbour's back garden? There but for the grace of God and all that.

Oh for goodness sake

Hylander would probably think - Thank goodness they / we are evacuated whilst they deal with it.  I wonder if the greenhouse will survive?

Griff

• Like 3

my thoughts today are with those that are in the close vicinity dealing with the problem, one small error on anyones part and they are the ones who will suffer the consequences, property can be replaced, people are irreplaceable.

Let us hope that this ends well and everyone goes home safe to homes and family.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Black Humour - It's more generally a military thing

Onboard if someone's parents died the usual banter was - Jammy git - save a fortune on mothers/fathers day cards

That was one of the more milder comments too and just one example, there were many covering all sorts of scenarios far too much for some of the snowflakes in here so I won't be enlightening you

There was banter covering every topic known to man, most of it taking the urine out of some one / group.

If a shipmate died, there was banter selling / buying his kit to raise money for his family

Here's a gentle example:- Squad - Ho, all those with a mother take one pace forward. Smith! Where do you think your going? Your mum died last night,  Get yersen off home pronto.  I witnessed that at HMS Excellent in the 70's (His name wasn't Smith btw)

Another gentle example, we were alongside in Pompy expecting a new mess member to arrive in the evening.  Voice came down the hatch into the mess square asking - You got any n1ggers down there? No went the reply, well you got one now and down came 'Reggin' grinning his head off, (We nicknamed him 'Reggin', it was ages before he realised what it meant spelt backwards)

Did it do us any harm? make us mentally disturbed? were we hurt and needed a safe place? were we offended, did we run off reporting our hurt feelings to some sort of authority?

No of course not, we all gave as good as we got and just coped and got on wi it

Personally having 'Suffered' twenty four years of it and going on todays ethics / standards, I'm impressed I'm not permanently basket weaving in Rampton (Or maybe I am :default_norty: )

Griff

I think there's a world of difference between what you might say in private company, to that you might say on social media where the wider public have the chance to read it, including those that may actually be going through the very thing you are joking about. Some might think of this forum as a select group of friends having a natter a bit like you might do down the pub, but it isn't, not when anyone can read it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Meantime said:

Quote "

A resident, who does not wish to be named, went back to her home in the exclusion zone to gather more clothes and essentials.

Here's another quote from the same article :

I'd much rather be here (in a shelter), it's safer here. You can rebuild windows but you can't rebuild lives.

Susie has just reminded me that my mother-in-law was actually bombed out of two houses in Gorleston, one after the other and no, they were not insured.  The family lost everything, including all their possessions.

For Goodness' sake, let's lighten up a bit.

• Like 5

I think there's a world of difference between what you might say in private company

Private Company?

HMS Antrim had a complement of 470, many crammed into messes of three bunks high and all ships companies chatted / bantered with other ships companies when alongside.  Some privacy that is.  The 'Smith' incident happened in a squad of over one hundred and we were only together for three weeks and mostly didn't know each other well if at all

I wonder how many of the general public are reading this thread and now have to go off for some counselling due to what they have read?

Griff

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Vaughan said:

For Goodness' sake, let's lighten up a bit.

Ok maybe I'm wrong!

But don't be surprised if the next time a hire craft sinks and you get on your high horse about people making jokes, and start reminding us that there is someone's business and livelihood at stake, if I remind you about black humour, or to lighten up a bit, or to brush it off, well I presume it's insured!!!

• Like 2

Perhaps it is time to reign in the whole discussion and remember the ToS and the fact this is a friendly place.

I grew up in 60s and know that what was said and done then is not always acceptable now.

Times change, often faster than we do as individuals and often not how we think they should.

I have shared inappropriate jokes and comments to mates, but not on a public forum. Know your audience is a good start.

In a world going through difficult times do we really need to add to it.

Please draw a line now and move back to the original subject, this will avoid the need to lock the thread for a cooling off period.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I do think these days it seems the fashion to take everything silly thing said literally.   I too was raised  in a military family,  my father and his father before him were in the RAF ,  my hubby is ex Army,  Uncles were in the Navy.    You got through tough times through humour.    When my sister was died a year ago now she died of pancreatic cancer and the only way we got through it was with humour, it was not cruel she too agreed that at the time she was so yellow she could have been one of the Simpsons.     

As for closing this post, why?   because someone disagrees with another,  this is what some Dictators would love to happen but we live in a free society where to have an opinion that differs from anyone else is allowed and long may it be so.  This forum is richer for it.     

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Nothing wrong with the humour. During the six weeks I waited for a procedure to see if I had a serious illness, switching on the TV and seeing the humour, going into the office and hearing the usuall sick humour, made me realise life goes on. I found it very reassuring.

It doesn't mean we don't care. I imagine we'll be queing up to offer our boats as temporary accommodaton should the worse happen. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

Not something most people give a second thought to but we have the same regular jokes aimed at Sheerness.

To be fair though that joke did get the situation mentioned in parliament, although the MP's were clearly far too stupid to spot the joke.. but I certainly don't miss having that thought at the back of my mind but if she does blow at least you won't know and joking about it seems a bit of a two fingers up to the situation which no one has any control over anyway.

We had a wonder and lunch in gorleston today and didn't spot anything different, I thought it had all been sorted.  I feel the papers are enjoying something to talk about, EDP and EADT actually have something useful to report for once! The Yarmouth mercury is doing a BBC style Live updates: https://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/23306506.great-yarmouth-bomb-live-updates-ahead-explosion/ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One has to wonder how many more unexploded bombs may lie in and around the area.  I watched a programme a little while ago where it showed that farmers in Normandy regularly unearth unexploded bombs and shells whilst ploughing their fields.  Their approach to dealing with them is a little more simplistic, though.  Apparently, they move them to collection points, where the French military deal with them!  💣💥