River Yare Closed At Haven Bridge

On that well respected news channel Look East, that confirmation of allowing people home, was not given but merely hoped for!

Apparently bits were still burning and now they have to go and check, after the fires have died down, that the gas mains are safe - they were unsure when this would be!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, marshman said:

On that well respected news channel Look East, that confirmation of allowing people home, was not given but merely hoped for!

Apparently bits were still burning and now they have to go and check, after the fires have died down, that the gas mains are safe - they were unsure when this would be!!

What 😳

You mean Look East reported it 😳

That meant leaving Norwich and acknowledging there are other places in East Anglia Noooooo don't believe it. 😩

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, RS2021 said:

If you look on the BBC articleΒ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-64604115Β and scroll down, there is an 'after' photo taken at 90deg to the quay heading. Definitely bent...

Thank you for the link,Β  very informative.Β  Β Good to see the residents are now back in their own homes.Β  Β 

8 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I saw it on the main BBC webpage. Almost the top news item.Β 

I was commentating on just how poor our Local BBC news show Look East has become. Reading other locals comments I am not the only one who finds it poor.

The discovery of a large bomb in the centre of one of our towns and the shutting off of major roads with the ensuing traffic chaos let alone the evacuation of a lot of people from the area warranted not a single mention on the 30 minute broadcast the day it happened.😣

12 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

not a single mention on the 30 minute broadcast the day it happened

We get BBC Look North at home and live nearer Hull than either York or Leeds. But because the only signal we can get is with the aerial picking up the Look North transmission from Leeds, we only the ever get Leeds/west yorks news. Very rarely a mention of east yorks. It’s as if we don’t exist.Β 
It’s not that they’re not broadcasting the local news, just that we can’t pick it up.Β 
It was the same at my mum’s. Living in mid Sussex and only 10miles north of Brighton, her news came from Portsmouth.Β 
The one common factor was a dirty great stretch of hills in between the BBC β€˜local office’ and the house. Her case the South Downs, mine the Yorkshire Wolds.Β 
So maybe your aerial needs twizzling. I can’t see hills being a problem in Norfolk but low lying transmitters might be. We all know the problems with getting a tv signal on the Broads.Β 

3 minutes ago, kpnut said:

We get BBC Look North at home and live nearer Hull than either York or Leeds. But because the only signal we can get is with the aerial picking up the Look North transmission from Leeds, we only the ever get Leeds/west yorks news. Very rarely a mention of east yorks. It’s as if we don’t exist.Β 
It’s not that they’re not broadcasting the local news, just that we can’t pick it up.Β 
It was the same at my mum’s. Living in mid Sussex and only 10miles north of Brighton, her news came from Portsmouth.Β 
The one common factor was a dirty great stretch of hills in between the BBC β€˜local office’ and the house. Her case the South Downs, mine the Yorkshire Wolds.Β 
So maybe your aerial needs twizzling. I can’t see hills being a problem in Norfolk but low lying transmitters might be. We all know the problems with getting a tv signal on the Broads.Β 

No we get our News from our local area which is Norwich, my issue is that it is very much Norwich centric.

Although on the evening in question  the big story on the main news was the rouge police officer being sentenced for multiple sexual assaults which took up the first 15 minutes. Because this, I don't know what to call him on a family forum, came from Stevenage there was obviously a local aspect to it. But it was frustrating to see the items from the main broadcast repeated for the first 15 minutes of the local news.😩

Β 

The problem is probably more to do with what OBB says below your post.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kpnut said:

I know how you feel about not existing.Β  Β We recently had a break in North Norfolk near to Blakeney,Β  where does the local news comes from - Yorkshire.Β  Β What the devil has Yorkshire got to do with North Norfolk.Β  Β  Β It was ITV Calendar.Β  Β Supposedly from Lincolnshire but the area covered is North of there.Β  Β Certainly not North Norfolk.

Β 

• Sad 1

FF - I think you will find they have rationalised all the areas! In other words broadened the areas they now broadcast about - Look East now covers Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire, and Essex ( and also repeats items just talked about in the main news!) which means we are getting reporters and news readers from these areas.

What interest to someone in Corby is a bomb in GY? Its of little interest these days and I often just turn it off - bit like their weather forecast I am afraid!

Β 

4 hours ago, RS2021 said:

If you look on the BBC articleΒ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-64604115Β and scroll down, there is an 'after' photo taken at 90deg to the quay heading. Definitely bent...

Love the video clip at the top.of the article, complete with bleeping out the expletives from the kid with the camera who sounds about 10 year oldΒ 

• Haha 1

Living in deepest Hertfordshire we used to get Look East West which covered Herts, Beds, Cambs , Norrthants and Milton Keynes. The Cambridge newsroom was closed at the end of 2022 with all programmes thenΒ  broadcast from Norwich. Not a lot of difference toΒ  usΒ  really as the lunchtimeΒ  Look East was broadcast from Norwich anyway !

34 minutes ago, Spray said:

Living in deepest Hertfordshire we used to get Look East West which covered Herts, Beds, Cambs , Norrthants and Milton Keynes. The Cambridge newsroom was closed at the end of 2022 with all programmes thenΒ  broadcast from Norwich. Not a lot of difference toΒ  usΒ  really as the lunchtimeΒ  Look East was broadcast from Norwich anyway !

Ahh that explains that mystery then πŸ‘

5 hours ago, Hylander said:

I am still trying to get my head around Look East West!!!!Β  Β  Β Crumbs.Β  Β  Got to be some kind of contortionist.Β Β 

It’s taken me years to get my head around BBC classing Milton Keynes as β€˜East’. On the other hand most other organisations seem to have difficulty in deciding which β€˜area’ it should be assigned to. We are sometimes east or west, Midlands or south or even, on occasion, south west.

:default_wacko: