Alarm Going To Go Off On Sunday

Hylander

16 minutes ago, troggy said:

I'll likely be disabling it before the weekend.  But then 'they'll' know what side of the fence I've chosen.  

How will they? If you disable the notification in settings on your phone or tablet, your phone or tablet will still receive the alert, you just won't be notified. They won't know that you haven't been notified. A bit like if you have alerts set for when you receive emails. They arrive regardless, but if you don't open the email program, you won't know you've received one, if you have alerts turned off.

The country used to rely on air raid sirens but with the spead of the population they no longer provide good coverage. It is surprising the number of young people who know what they mean.

Given the spread of technology it is no suprise that the system is going digital and of course it needs to be tested.

I would rather have a system in place than no effective national warning.

Hopefully it is never needed but we do live in more uncertain times again.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Wonder if will work as well as their Track and Trace initiated during the pandemic?

Not sure how you'll be able to compare, they are both very different systems and technologies. 

The National Emergency Alert system is a lot more basic. It is a simple one way broadcast from 4G and 5G capable masts to Android and Apple devices running a certain level and above version of the OS. The alert will only be sounded provided you have not disabled notifications in your settings. By default they are turned on.

So if you are in a 3G or less area you will not receive it. If you have an older Android or Apple device you will not receive it. If you have turned off notifications you will still receive it, but will not be disturbed by it. The Government will have no idea whether you have disabled notifications or not as it is a one way broadcast.

Emergency alerts will be received within 4 to 10 seconds of being sent from capable masts. Are one way and require no personal information such as phone numbers, whereas SMS messages can take up to 48 hrs to be delivered and will queue until your device reappears on the network, and requires your phone number.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Meantime said:

How will they? If you disable the notification in settings on your phone or tablet, your phone or tablet will still receive the alert, you just won't be notified. They won't know that you haven't been notified. A bit like if you have alerts set for when you receive emails. They arrive regardless, but if you don't open the email program, you won't know you've received one, if you have alerts turned off.

Where does it say that?

3 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

The country used to rely on air raid sirens but with the spead of the population they no longer provide good coverage. It is surprising the number of young people who know what they mean.

Reminds me of when I was a young lad (many many years ago!) and my home town of Rugby used to test the air raid siren that was situated in the town centre at the top of a very tall telegraph pole. Every Saturday at midday without fail and you could hear it for miles around (and set your watch by it :default_biggrin:).

Chris

I personally believe it's great to see a live test on a national alert system instead of waiting for a real event to see if it works.....

Many will not realise but there is an emergency services communication system which allows 999 responders to still communicate on their mobile devices when the network is overloaded due to an emergency.

This system failed in Manchester when the Arena attack occured, because it had never been stress tested, for an incident when thousands of people in one area where trying to phone loved ones, whilst million's were on social media or real media sites trying to get updates.

So for one alert, which will be over in seconds, I actually think it's a small inconvenience to actually see if the system functions as designed

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Anyone else remember the old air raid siren on top of the Lowestoft Co-op canning factory being used in the 70's to call the part time firemen out?

Yep. It was a very loud thing. And I was a lot further away from it than you were. Cant imagine the noise from a house only a few hundred yards away.

42 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I can imagine many many inmates of his Majesty’s  pleasure are panicking over their potential hidden mobiles detections

Most of them will be turned off until they need to make a call. Prisons are regularly scanned for mobile transmissions so my guess is it will be business as usual.

21 hours ago, grendel said:

and its no wonder that I only have a low tech calls and text phone (which is apparently not capable of receiving these alarms) I will enjoy my day without peace being shattered.

I have arranged for you to receive a carrier pigeon :default_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I can imagine many many inmates of his Majesty’s  pleasure are panicking over their potential hidden mobiles detections

I think that concern should be directed for those with a hidden phone who are living in an abusive situation. The best advice would be to turn off the phone and remove sim and not reactivate until it is safe to do so.

Personally mine will remain set to alerts so I can still receive EA flood warnings.

Colin :default_drinks:

• Like 1