Dogs On Boats,show Us Yours

mikeyboy1966

4 minutes ago, SwanR said:

What do you do if your dog really won’t settle and hates being on the boat? Dog or boat … if you’re an owner which would you choose?

Danni isn't that keen, but she sleeps to the engine noise while we're under way and gets nice walks before and after a cruise plus she gets to sleep on top of us at night so she makes the best of it and she has improved the more she gets used to it..

If it really came down to dog or boat then the boat would go, it would break my heart but that's better than breaking hers 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

What do you do if your dog really won’t settle and hates being on the boat? Dog or boat … if you’re an owner which would you choose?

If Syd had hated the boat we would have gotten rid of the boat. Same with the van.

Fortunately for us he has a massive sense of adventure and loves travelling. Much the same as us.

He has some miles under his belt now. Good job he isn't travel sick 😕

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We were worried whether Pozzie would be okay on Moonlight Shadow, given his previous, rather traumatic, experience on the Broads. I’m not sure what we would have done if he really disliked it as I don’t think he’s a dog we could put in kennels whilst we go on holiday. Having been abandoned once he still has anxiety issues. He hates it when Graham takes Seren out for her agility classes, even though I’m home with him. He’s okay if just Graham is out, but both Seren and Graham being out stresses him.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, YnysMon said:

We were worried whether Pozzie would be okay on Moonlight Shadow, given his previous, rather traumatic, experience on the Broads. I’m not sure what we would have done if he really disliked it as I don’t think he’s a dog we could put in kennels whilst we go on holiday. Having been abandoned once he still has anxiety issues. He hates it when Graham takes Seren out for her agility classes, even though I’m home with him. He’s okay if just Graham is out, but both Seren and Graham being out stresses him.

You've given him a safe, happy and loving home, you're his whole world ♥️ Thank goodness for people like you 👍👍🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

We have run out of places to leave Syd on the odd occasion we have to. He had played up for so many people.

He hates it if he isn't with one of us.

He is also a rescue who had been abandoned and left previously. I don't think he will ever forget that. He always thinks we will do the same even though we obviously haven't and never will. He was 18 months old when we got him. He's 6.5 now. Still no better with the anxiety. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, Cal said:

Still no better with the anxiety. 

I’m sure they never get over it, just like we humans wouldn’t. Edited to add, taking on a rescue dog is a huge responsibility. Even more than taking on a puppy. Not that we regret anything, but you do have to be prepared to adapt to their needs in the long term rather more than if you get a puppy. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Teach the dog to tidy ropes.

She normally took the port jib sheet when sailing but there was no wind at the time and we were running free anyway.

She has her eyes shut in fear that we are about to hit a large Broads Tours launch coming the other way round a bend! 

• Like 3

On 29/04/2023 at 21:52, NeilB said:

Oppy the rescue dog, sadly my ex has him but I still get to see him.  He did have a life jacket but didn’t like it and chewed through the straps!!

739EB0E2-00DF-4684-BA38-1364D14D565F.jpeg

I wondered when I read it if the ex had been chewing through the straps on the life jacket.

image.png

This little guy and me have a lot in common, curled up asleep on the sofa.

Dont know about any else but I feel quite left out with all of these lovely dogs.

Helen you and hubby deserve a medal for what you have done for Pozzie.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Some simply cracking pictures on this thread 👍

That one above with Vaughan and his Labrador gives me hope when I look at my Hooligan literally waiting for the day when mine calms down like that.

He had his first day out on the boat of the year yesterday and he was his usual restless self on the way up to Dilham . He had a bit of a play on the green then there was far too much going on with all the other dogs around when we had lunch at The Cross Keys. Back to the moorings and he had a walk up the lane then another play on the green until another moorer turned up with their Border Collie and they played chase for a while until it was time for us to leave.

I wish I had taken a photo of him totally crashed out on the way back and we didn't hear a squeak out of him all evening.

So there is hope for us 😲

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

gives me hope when I look at my Hooligan literally waiting for the day when mine calms down like that.

In fact she had the same up-bringing as me - brought up on a boatyard, in her case at Womack.  I had trained her as a wild fowling dog, so swimming if she fell in was not an issue!  Never on a lead and hardly ever wore a collar.

I have never owned another dog, as I still feel that no other could replace her.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

They are all different Vaughan.

This Hooligan is our forth Labrador and all of them have had quite different characters.

#1 a quite large Black Female that we had from a puppy and as I was only 23 when we got her didn't have much idea what I was doing with training. Turned out to be a lovely although spirited dog.

#2 a very big Fox Red adopted him at 18 months and he had already been trained but broken. Took us a while to bring his character out but we got there and had a faithful companion all of his life. Definitely Mrs FF 's favourite dog of all. I did spend quite a lot of time at sea at that time.

#3 a small black female who was a very nervous puppy in fact she could have been a bit on the autistic spectrum if that applies to dogs. Always looking at you for instructions what to do but as a few on here know turned out to be a great dog.

Then #4 this Hooligan 😲

Got him when he was 9 months old from a lovely family but who couldn't cope with him and he was totally out of control. Just over a year on now and people tell us he is getting better but boy is it slow progress sometimes. Having said that he is very loving and funny and we would not change him for the world now.

So 

All different 

• Like 2