Stepping Outside My Comfort Zone

ree

Hello Everyone,

My parents moved to Suffolk in the seventies. Despite constant pleas our family never, ever, visited the Norfolk Broads. My mother's go-to place was Southwold.

Fast forward to now - this is my third consecutive year of spending 1/2 year in the UK keeping an eye on my father. Lately one of my dad's carers has been urging me to take a break and go visit the Broads. 

I'd imagine that exploring the Broads, for the first time on a boat, would definitely be a memorable experience especially since I'm a non-boater. I'm wondering if there are any day trips worth booking? 

• Like 1

A very warm welcome aboard the forum ree

Also Herbert Woods at Potter Heigham have some very nice day boats for hire with a small kitchen area and bathroom facilities, a bit pricey but worth it if you're wanting to be out for the day

You can hire day boats at Simpsons Boat Yard in Stalham, although they do have boats like the one's at Potter they also have boats which are cheaper and will get you out on the rivers just as well, they don't have the facilities of the above though but you could always stop off at the little villages and pubs for refreshment and comfort breaks or take your own food and drink. 

You will always find someone to help you moor, most boaters are a friendly bunch

This is how a lot of people fell in love with the Broads and went on to bigger and better boats and not just for a day :default_biggrin:

Whatever you decide on, I hope you have the best time x

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Boatingman said:

Hi Ree

Welcome to the forum

Broads tours at Wroxham have a fleet of trip boats at Wroxham offering tours from an hour upwards ideal to just get a taste of the broads.

Ray

And what is good about the trip boat is there is a loo on board and I do believe at certain times a Bar.  :default_drink_2:

• Like 2

Hi ree and welcome, 

The Wroxham tour boats are informative. When I went, the year before first hiring, it did nearly put me off though as starting at Wroxham where there are so many boats moored up and zipping along, I thought ‘how on earth does anyone manage this themselves’?
But it certainly did give me the bug for hiring later. 

I’d suggest spending half of your day at How Hill. Not only is it a good place for a shortish walk along the moorings and river, and with a walk to the secret garden (very colourful at this time of year) and the formal gardens if you catch them on a day they’re open, but there’s also a boardwalk nature reserve (no dogs), an old eelcatcher’s cottage/museum to explore, very tasty icecream to buy, a wherry to have a look around and a wonderful, peaceful electric boat trip into the nature reserve, along narrow dykes, right down at water level with a stop off at a bird hide halfway round. 
Apart from the electric boat trip, everything is free.

How Hill is on the river Ant near Ludham. 

• Like 2

You say that you are based in Suffolk. As a taster, without the travel why not try a trip from Oulton Broad.

I think they are called Waveney River Cruises.

• Like 1

Maybe the wildlife boat trip from Horsey for a look see. If you like the idea then you could hire a day launch or small cruiser from Martham as it will be a nice gentle introduction to boat handling and moorings are plentiful. If you have the appetite to proceed to the busier side of the Broads then the boatyard will take the cruiser through Potter bridge.

Hope you give it a go and enjoy!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChrisB said:

You say that you are based in Suffolk. As a taster, without the travel why not try a trip from Oulton Broad.

If it's the same as I'm thinking, you don't get value for money IMO. Across Oulton broad, up the dyke, and turn back just past the Waveney Inn. Not particularly picturesque, and could give a "take-it-or-leave-it" impression of the Broads as a whole. Better to stay North for a first visit, I'd think Simpsons at Wayford. A bit quieter than Wroxham or Potter.

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum Ree.

I agree with Regulo. The upper river Ant, either Simpsons as suggested or Sutton Staithe boatyard would be an excellent starting point. I would suggest you avoid weekends for your first trip. You can easily get to Dilham, Neatishead, Irstead and How Hill......plus you can navigate one of the loveliest of the larger broads, Barton.

Hire a day boat, take your time, moor up in a couple of places just to watch the world float by......and take a picnic.....oh, and spend time with a map planning your visit before you go, you will love it ! best of luck!

• Like 1

My personal preference, when considering booking a day boat, would be to avoid hiring from Wroxham or Horning, as the stretch of river between those places seems to be particularly busy with other day boats and cruisers and large tour boats in the summer months, so if you want to experience the northern rivers hiring from Herbert Woods or Phoenix Fleet in Potter Heigham might be a better option. From Potter Heigham you can get under the medieval bridge in a day boat and since very few other boats can get under the bridge, that area of the rivers is particularly quiet and peaceful.

In general the southern rivers are much less busy. Options for day boats on the southern rivers include Hipperson's in Beccles (on the River Waveney) and Brooms in Brundall  (River Yare). 

Listen to Turnoar and revisit the Broads as they used to be - the wildlife trips from Horsey are a world away from the hustle and bustle of the busy rivers and the ubiquitous day boat. Link here I hope

.https://www.norfolkbroads.com/link/ross-wildlife-boat-trips-1179/

Here you see are hear everything except the fish and chips and the busy sections of the river. No need to take a trip boat with a 100 others - see the Broads and its wildlife ,not  Yarmouth on water!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marshman said:

Listen to Turnoar and revisit the Broads as they used to be - the wildlife trips from Horsey are a world away from the hustle and bustle of the busy rivers and the ubiquitous day boat. Link here I hope

.https://www.norfolkbroads.com/link/ross-wildlife-boat-trips-1179/

Here you see are hear everything except the fish and chips and the busy sections of the river. No need to take a trip boat with a 100 others - see the Broads and its wildlife ,not  Yarmouth on water!!!!!

We've been on that Horsey wildlife trip and very much recommend. We are still reaping the benefits in recognising the Broads wildlife that was pointed out to us and birdsong. 

• Like 1

Brilliant. Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond ... lots to think about!

In the meantime I booked a river trip departing from Orford tomorrow.

Don't worry, I'll be mulling over my game plan for The Broads. Perhaps one trip per month, while I'm in Suffolk, to see which suggestion floats my boat.:12_slight_smile:

Cheers

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ChrisB said:

There is no hire craft now at Oulton Broad. WRC only have day boats now I believe. 

Hi,

On the Waveney Rowan craft at Geldeston have one £90 per day According to the Web. Hippersons at Beccles have 5/6, Bridge stores at St Olaves have some. Waveney River Centre at Burgh St Peter had a couple (previously a dozen or so) when I went past a couple of days ago although I am not sure they let them out to the public anymore possibly just residents. There is a fleet of day boats at Oulton Broad too.

Neil 

• Like 1